87 posts in this topic

10 minutes ago, ThomasNC1988 said:

That's not typical. They suspected fraud for some reason most likely. Happens sometimes though.

I doubt that is the case. My immigration lawyer had told me that in this specific USCIS I had to do the interview at, all couples get separated regardless. It seems like this is how they do it here. So, I wasn't surprised when we had a separate interview.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

They didn't separate us. The interview took 15-20  minutes. They didn't say i was approved right away. I just looked into my USCIS status online and said that I was approved. And 7 days after my interview i got my green card.This was in Norfolk, VA. 

Edited by NovaDC

That's called a stokes interview and is not typical. It could be random or it could be because they suspect fraud.

I wouldn't be surprised if IOs at some offices do it more often than others, but it's still not a norm.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

22 minutes ago, TNJ17 said:

This is not standard at all. They definitely suspected fraud. Most interviews are just a couple of questions for formality. I don’t mean to offend by what I’m about to say but please don’t say this is normal on a forum like this. You’re scaring people saying this is normal. This is not normal procedure. For whatever reason, and that is no one’s business, they suspected you weren’t a real couple. This is the procedure when they think the relationship isn’t genuine. A standard aos interview is nothing but a couple of questions and basically just looking over paperwork with the couple together. 

When you said "looking over paperwork with the couple together", are you saying, normally the couple won't get separated?  If that's what you meant, that is not necessarily true. My lawyer had told me in advance that almost all couples my lawyer had seen in his clients got separated in this USCIS. It is located in Louisville Kentucky.

When I got there, I saw 4-5 couples ahead of us, and they all got separated too! Always the US spouse got called in first, and then after 10-20 min, the international spouse got called in.

23 minutes ago, geowrian said:

That's called a stokes interview and is not typical. It could be random or it could be because they suspect fraud.

I wouldn't be surprised if IOs at some offices do it more often than others, but it's still not a norm.

Which part of the interview I went through is "stoke interview"? Like how they separated us? or the number of questions asked?

the number of questions, yes even I thought too many, but separated interview is a norm here in Louisville Kentucky, or at least that is what my lawyers told me. And I saw some couples ahead of us getting called in separately as well. 

Edited by Jun2580

27 minutes ago, NovaDC said:

They didn't separate us. The interview took 15-20  minutes. They didn't say i was approved right away. I just looked into my USCIS status online and said that I was approved. And 7 days after my interview i got my green card.This was in Norfolk, VA. 

How long did it take before the USCIS status got updated?

15 minutes ago, Jun2580 said:

Which part of the interview I went through is "stoke interview"? Like how they separated us? or the number of questions asked?

the number of questions, yes even I thought too many, but separated interview is a norm here in Louisville Kentucky, or at least that is what my lawyers told me. And I saw some couples ahead of us getting called in separately as well. 

The separated interview questions.

Maybe a fairly recent policy there? It's not the norm in general (https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=&cty=Louisville+KY&dfilter=5).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Definitely not the norm. But glad you're taking it so well. Most people would've freaked out considering it's not that common to get a stokes interview.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

5 minutes ago, Scandi said:

Definitely not the norm. But glad you're taking it so well. Most people would've freaked out considering it's not that common to get a stokes interview.

am freaking out right now. Since my lawyer had told me about the separated interview being highly possible in Louisville Kentucky USCIS, I wasn't surprised when we got called in separately. But then after reading all comments on here telling me how my marriage was suspected, I am freaking out... because I haven't done anything wrong, and same for my spouse. And we have been together for 5 years now with a bunch of evidence.  I am scared now... but the officer told me after the interview that I should keep collecting more documents like I did for this interview, in order to remove the condition in 2 years. I am taking this as I am getting a conditional GC, but I am not sure because my case status hasn't been updated yet.

8 minutes ago, geowrian said:

The separated interview questions.

Maybe a fairly recent policy there? It's not the norm in general (https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=&cty=Louisville+KY&dfilter=5).

This interview was VERY stressful... My officer didn't show a single smile during our interview. Every time I answered her question, she either put a check mark on my spouse's answer when our answers matched, OR writing down what I said when our answers were different. 

What surprised me was, she didn't take any of our photos. She asked for the evidence of our relationship and marriage, so I turned in a bunch of papers I collected, like insurance, bills, lease, receipts, old texts, and our pics. But she bluntly said "I don't need to see the photos" and refused to take them!! I don't know why. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Stokes is certainly not normal, any reason they would have suspicions?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.