corvusheart

Driving tickets with US residents

30 posts in this topic

My husband who is a US resident with a pending ROC/N400 wants to get a driver's license which is understandable. The reason why he's put it off for so long is fear of a mere speeding ticket or small accident such as rear ending someone jeopardizing his immigration process. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should he just hold off driving till he's a citizen?

- I am the US Sponsor-

Removal of Conditions (pending)

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

pokemon-signature-278b875.jpg

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

He's probably a better driver than my wife and she has avoided accidents and traffic tickets for 3 years somehow. 😂  Three more weeks to go before her oath ceremony!

If your husband drives conservatively i would think he'll be fine. If he does get a traffic citation he'll be fine if he pays the fine and/or shows up for court, whichever is required.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

12 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

My husband who is a US resident with a pending ROC/N400 wants to get a driver's license which is understandable. The reason why he's put it off for so long is fear of a mere speeding ticket or small accident such as rear ending someone jeopardizing his immigration process. Does anyone have any experience with this? Should he just hold off driving till he's a citizen?

The day my wife got her driver license was a good day for her and she was so proud of it. Why does your husband thing a accident or speeding ticket would jeopardize his status or process? Since my wife got her license she has gotten into one accident that wasn't her fault and one parking ticket. It has not affected her status or immigration process at all.

I know others who are holding off on driving in fear of traffic tickets jeopardizing their process. If he got a ticket wouldn't he need to disclose it at his interview?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

8 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

I know others who are holding off on driving in fear of traffic tickets jeopardizing their process. If he got a ticket wouldn't he need to disclose it at his interview?

Yeah but unless it was a DUI or he hurt someone while driving, chances of a speeding ticket affecting his citizenship is nil.  

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Why would he get a ticket? Is he prone to reckless driving? Does he have a history of it? I've been driving since I was 17 (the minimum age in the U.K.) and I've never had a ticket. Must have driven a hundred thousand miles in that time. Or more. If he drives carefully, he will have nothing to fear. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Why would he get a ticket? Is he prone to reckless driving? Does he have a history of it? I've been driving since I was 17 (the minimum age in the U.K.) and I've never had a ticket. Must have driven a hundred thousand miles in that time. Or more. If he drives carefully, he will have nothing to fear. 

He's never driven ever in his life and has attention problems.

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

13 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

Eh?? Yes he needs to disclose it (if he gets ticketed) because any traffic violations count as citations. But the fear that traffic tickets "jeopardize" the immigration process is a little silly, to be blunt. The only way his process would be jeopardized is if he does not disclose traffic tickets. Of course, if he is a reckless driver and gets a lot of tickets or worse (revoked license etc), that's not necessarily good either. Overall though, the immigration agencies care mostly about crimes of moral turpitude (domestic violence and other violence, drugs, illegal weapons and what have you).

2 minutes ago, mushroomspore said:

Eh?? Yes he needs to disclose it (if he gets ticketed) because any traffic violations count as citations. But the fear that traffic tickets "jeopardize" the immigration process is a little silly, to be blunt. The only way his process would be jeopardized is if he does not disclose traffic tickets. Of course, if he is a reckless driver and gets a lot of tickets or worse (revoked license etc), that's not necessarily good either. Overall though, the immigration agencies care mostly about crimes of moral turpitude (domestic violence and other violence, drugs, illegal weapons and what have you).

So if he got a ticket before interview and when he disclosed it would it delay things? Would it complicate things?

- I am the US Sponsor-

NOA1 - 2/27/2017

Biometrics - 3/22/2017

Citizenship

NOA1 - 3/19/2018

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

I highly doubt it would delay things. As others are saying, you just need to disclose it. To be sure, on the form that my wife is taking to her oath ceremony there is a question that asks if she has received any traffic tickets since her N400 interview (she was approved 2 weeks ago), but she would simply need to mark "yes" and then explain it when they prepare her for the ceremony. No worries.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

3 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

So if he got a ticket before interview and when he disclosed it would it delay things? Would it complicate things?

Please read my post again. Traffic violations are not grounds for denial for anyone. All USCIS cares with that specific topic is that you are honest. Regarding the bigger question of "crimes", USCIS cares much more about serious ones that are way way beyond traffic tickets.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country:
Timeline
21 minutes ago, corvusheart said:

He's never driven ever in his life and has attention problems.

If he had attention problems maybe he shouldn’t be driving at all?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ghana
Timeline
2 hours ago, corvusheart said:

Tell your man to stop worry . I have had two accidents . Three speeding tickets , six parking ticket which three took me to collections. Until now I haven’t paid for the collections . Had my ROC/N400 last month . Passed test but decesion wasn’t made until a month . New card in mail . Oath ceremony sept 18

if he didn’t go to jail , he good . 

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

What if he drives liberally?

Or maybe middle of the road?  Nope, don’t do that!  🚔🏼

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.