Soonish

DENIAL AFTER 7+ MONTHS?! WHAT THE HELL.

115 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

There is some important evidence missing in your application: proof of intent to marry, and evidence of meeting in person within 2 years before filing. Your written statement does not have much value without supporting evidence like a lease with both of your names, passport stamps, etc.

Yes, they could have just sent an RFE for this, and maybe they would have if there was only one of these 2 things missing.

But wait until you receive the actual notice; it might still just be an RFE.

I was also thinkingabout the letter of intent, I believe it is as important as the evidence, somehow I believe more important. Do you agree?

®️

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Dutchster said:

Also, the USCIS CS line is often called the misinformation line. Usually they have barely any clue what they are talking about since they don't have a lot of insight. 

I REALLLLLLY hope this guy was having a terrible day and has zero ideas what he is talking about.

I know I'm not getting an approval but all I want is an RFE. Pleeeaseeee.

event.png

NOA 1: 26 Dec 2017

RFE 22 August 2018

NOA 2: 08 September 2018

Medical: 16 October 2018

Interview: 22 October 2018

Visa in Hand: 2 November 2018 

POE: 10 November 2018 - Baltimore

Wedding:  :wub: :

Distance is no demon,

Often I think it can be a blessing for those in love,

a silent, underappreciated blessing.

It will have no power over us.

When you come stumbling to my door after months, with flowers and wine in hand,

I will be ready.

When I pick you up from the airport, the feeling will be unmatched,

that feeling like birds bursting in song from beneath my lungs, 

that feeling unlike any other.

We have to stay strong and remember what is most important;

I love you, and you, me.

The air between us is nothing but a metaphor.

Nothing, not one thing, can come between us.

- Christopher Poindexter - 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Alright, so after reading this post im a little worried about something that I had calmed myself about. The thing is that we hired a lawyer to file out petition and she forgot to include my fiancees proof of citizenship in the packet. Then two weeks later, after we had our case number, she sent in a supplemental packet with the proof of citizenship and told us not to worry because if they need more documents they'll ask before denying. So should we expect an RFE or is there a chance of receiving an intent to deny?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

You're mad at USCIS but you were missing crucial paperwork with your packet. That's on you. They are not required to send out RFE  - it was already base for denile especially no proofs of meeting in person. Everyone can write a letter.. I can write that I met Elvis Presley but pretty sure no one should believe  me unless I attach pics and hotel reservations with both our names on it. ;)

If you want to get married and file for spouse visa, that's absolutely fine. But the waiting time is about 12 months - just saying since you seemed bothered that your k1 took 7 months. ;)

Yes. I think that has been established. 😉

However, an RFE would be a sensible approach seeing as leaving the UK to live in the US with my fiance is hardly comparable with meeting a dead guy.

If a statement is not appropriate then it should not be an option, it is redundant. 

Of course I'm bothered about waiting 7 months (I'm sure most people are bothered), it's not like that is the only time we have been apart. We have already been apart as long as it takes to file a spouse visa just without the added benefit of being able to earn money as soon as I get there. 

event.png

RFE 22 August 2018

Distance is no demon,

I will be ready.

I love you, and you, me.

Statement is just part of the evidence. Of course you also need stuff to back the statement up. 

Good luck with your next petition! 

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Roel said:

Statement is just part of the evidence. Of course you also need stuff to back the statement up. 

Good luck with your next petition! 

The USCIS memorandum on NOIDs and RFEs actually states this:

"If not all of the required initial evidence has been submitted or the officer determines that the totality of the evidence submitted does not meet the applicable standard of proof, the officer should issue an RFE unless he or she determines there is no possibility that additional evidence available to the individual might cure the deficiency."

So they have determined there is no possibility that I can provide the evidence without even sending an RFE. Interesting,

Anyway, thanks for your kind words of support.

event.png

RFE 22 August 2018

Distance is no demon,

I will be ready.

I love you, and you, me.

1 hour ago, debbiedoo said:

I think that's definitely the issue.

Paul and I see each other once a month (at a minimum), and have for 2 and a half years. We sent the intent to marry (one from each of us), letters of how we met (from each of us, so in our own words), photos, passport stamps (US/CA dont stamp often), I printed out the thing from the CBP site documenting all his entrances (far more documentation than the passport stamps lol at time of filing he had 26 or 27 entrances), photos, boarding passes from flights (mostly mine since he drives), and lord only knows what else. far more than they ask for. But I wasn't taking any chances. 

front loading, while not always a necessary thing, is also never a BAD thing.

you should have gotten an RFE and not a flat out denial, though... imo. haven't read page 3 of responses but if you left out the intent letters and proof of being together in the past 2 years ... yeah, i could maybe see the denial happening and not just an RFE

that SUCKS.

Agree'd.

My husband (Fiance at the time) had copies of his passport showing all of the times he entered the country to visit, pictures of us together, hotel bills, plane tickets, and credit card statements showing purchases here in the city I was at.

I do believe tho, that the letter of intent and the proof of being together in the past two years is so integral to the package that USCIS may have just felt it was enough to flat deny it. It says they SHOULD send an RFE, but it doesn't say that they HAVE to send one.

*More detailed timeline in profile!*

Relationship:     Friends since 2010, Together since 2013

K-1:   2015 Done in 208 days - 212g for Second Cosponsor    

Spoiler

04/27/15- NOA1 Recieved                                                    
06/02/15 - NOA2 Recieved
09/22/15 - Interview       (221g for more documents (a SECOND cosponsor), see profile for more details!)                                            
11/09/15 -  ISSUED!!                                                              
11/10/15 - Passport received                                                
02/20/16 - Wedding!              

AOS:   2016 Done in 77 days - No RFE, No Interview                                                                    

Spoiler

04/08/16 - I-485, I-765, I-131 AOS Application recieved by USCIS
04/12/16 - 3 NOA1's received in mail
05/14/16 - Biometrics for AOS and EAD
06/27/16 - I-485 Case to changed to "New Card being produced"  (Day 77)
06/27/16 - I-485 Case changed to Approved! (Day 77)
06/30/16 - I-485 Case changed to "My Card has been mailed to me!"
07/05/16 - Green Card received in mail! 

ROC:   2018 - 2019 Done in 326 days - No RFE, No Interview

Spoiler

05/09/18 - Mailed out ROC to CSC

05/10/18 - CSC Signed and received ROC package
06/07/28 - NOA1 

06/11/18 - Check cashed

06/15/18 - NOA received in the mail
08/27/18 - 18 month extension received (Courtesy Copy)

09/18/18 - Request for official 18 month extension
10/22/18 - Official 18 month extension received 

02/27/19 - Biometrics waived 

04/29/19 - New card being produced!
05/09/19 - USPS delivered green card! In hand now!

1 hour ago, ALGS said:

Yes. I think that has been established. 😉

However, an RFE would be a sensible approach seeing as leaving the UK to live in the US with my fiance is hardly comparable with meeting a dead guy.

If a statement is not appropriate then it should not be an option, it is redundant. 

Of course I'm bothered about waiting 7 months (I'm sure most people are bothered), it's not like that is the only time we have been apart. We have already been apart as long as it takes to file a spouse visa just without the added benefit of being able to earn money as soon as I get there. 

The Visa process is frustrating and time consuming. Ultimately, legal immigration is a privilege,, not a right. There is no guarantee of approval - it is subject to the immigration officer adjucating the case. It's unfortunate that you guys didn't submit compelling proof and that the person who processed it didn't send an RFE that you got, but at least you havemore options. You could submit another K1 with more proof, or you may prefer to marry and do a spousal visa instead since your husband will be able to work the day he enters the US.

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Ash.1101 said:

Agree'd.

My husband (Fiance at the time) had copies of his passport showing all of the times he entered the country to visit, pictures of us together, hotel bills, plane tickets, and credit card statements showing purchases here in the city I was at.

I do believe tho, that the letter of intent and the proof of being together in the past two years is so integral to the package that USCIS may have just felt it was enough to flat deny it. It says they SHOULD send an RFE, but it doesn't say that they HAVE to send one.

I really thought all that evidence was what they wanted at the embassy element of the process. :( 

event.png

RFE 22 August 2018

Distance is no demon,

I will be ready.

I love you, and you, me.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Daisy.Chain said:

The Visa process is frustrating and time consuming. Ultimately, legal immigration is a privilege,, not a right. There is no guarantee of approval - it is subject to the immigration officer adjucating the case. It's unfortunate that you guys didn't submit compelling proof and that the person who processed it didn't send an RFE that you got, but at least you havemore options. You could submit another K1 with more proof, or you may prefer to marry and do a spousal visa instead since your husband will be able to work the day he enters the US.

I am the beneficiary, my finance is the USC waiting for me. I'm not sure what we will do now, we need to look into it more. 

event.png

RFE 22 August 2018

Distance is no demon,

I will be ready.

I love you, and you, me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

As someone who has gone through the K-1 process, I can say for sure that you really can't provide too much evidence. We provided 50+ pages of photos *along with the story of our relationship accompanying the photos.* The last part is important because I've seen people get RFEs for not explaining how they met, etc.

05-04-2018: Married :jest:

AOS/EAD:

05-07-2018: Packet mailed via USPS

05-10-2018: Official NOA1 date

05-17-2018: NOA1 email/text

05-22-2018: NOA1 letter received

06-01-2018: RFE issued

06-13-2018: RFE received in the mail

06-25-2018: Response to RFE sent

06-27-2018: Response to RFE arrived at USCIS

07-07-2018: Change in online status: RFE response received 

07-10-2018: Biometrics (went before appointment & to a different office)

07-12-2018: AOS case status updated to "Case is Ready to Be Scheduled for An Interview”

09-29-2018: EAD case status updated to "New card is being produced"

09-30-2018: EAD case status updated to "Case was approved"

10-01-2018: EAD case status updated to "Card was mailed to me"

10-05-2018: EAD card received in the mail

10-12-2018: SSN card received in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

as stated before....no sense on crying now...take the CR-1 route after you have a definite NO on the K-1. Sign up for informed delivery and get acquainted with your mailman. There is never enough evidence for immigration, the more the better chances to get approval and be prepared. READ READ READ and if not comfortable enough, hire a lawyer. VJ is a good source of all what will/could and has happened during the whole immigration process. 

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.