39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Crossed the border 2 weeks ago with my K1 visa. Just wondering what other people did to pass the time while their SO is at work.

Not being able to work combined with not having a car and living in a really tiny town with nothing to do has made me catch cabin fever quite quickly. 

Tired of watching movies, and TV until my fiancé comes home. I try to talk to some of my friends and family back home, but they all work too of course. Just starting to feel a bit lonely and hate being so dependent. Figured I’d come talk about it here where someone else might get it too, and may be able to offer advice.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Honduras
Timeline

Does the town have a library?  Bus service?  I’m not sure how tiny the town is. You could try the bus to get to town.  Some libraries have free activities. Running errands as well.  If transportation is a problem maybe he could take you in the morning on his way to work.  But I don’t know enough about the public transportation where you are. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, bakphx1 said:

Does the town have a library?  Bus service?  I’m not sure how tiny the town is. You could try the bus to get to town.  Some libraries have free activities. Running errands as well.  If transportation is a problem maybe he could take you in the morning on his way to work.  But I don’t know enough about the public transportation where you are. 

No public transportation unfortunately. And he works really early in the morning so nothing is open until a few hours later, and then we never know what time he’s off. It’s a really sticky situation, I’m probably just gonna have to stick it out.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Similar situation here for my wife! I thought she’d die of boredom this winter. She joined a book club at the library here, knitted, and even sewed together a men’s suit by hand! The book club helped her meet folks in our small town, and she’ll even ride into work with me and take the bus to neighboring towns to shop and visit others. I know it’s been really hard on her, but she’s getting some extra time for hobbies she normally wouldn’t have. 

Timeline
Just now, swalker said:

Similar situation here for my wife! I thought she’d die of boredom this winter. She joined a book club at the library here, knitted, and even sewed together a men’s suit by hand! The book club helped her meet folks in our small town, and she’ll even ride into work with me and take the bus to neighboring towns to shop and visit others. I know it’s been really hard on her, but she’s getting some extra time for hobbies she normally wouldn’t have. 

A book club would totally be up my alley! I just don’t have a way of getting there. No public transportation here, and my fiancé works super early mornings so I’d be stranded for a few hours before anything opened. 

I'm not sure how bicycle-friendly your town is, but it helped me a lot to ride my bike during those first months. I explored the town, and most importantly, got out of the house. Those first months were very hard for me, but I promise you it will get better when you can start working, driving, etc. Hang in there!

Timeline
4 minutes ago, MariekeH said:

I'm not sure how bicycle-friendly your town is, but it helped me a lot to ride my bike during those first months. I explored the town, and most importantly, got out of the house. Those first months were very hard for me, but I promise you it will get better when you can start working, driving, etc. Hang in there!

I was thinking about this actually! Maybe I’ll  look into it a little more seriously. I know this isn’t a forever thing, it definitely helps to remind myself it’s just for now. Just discouraging since I didn’t think it’d only take a few weeks for me to already feel this way, haha.

13 minutes ago, madiartzer said:

I was thinking about this actually! Maybe I’ll  look into it a little more seriously. I know this isn’t a forever thing, it definitely helps to remind myself it’s just for now. Just discouraging since I didn’t think it’d only take a few weeks for me to already feel this way, haha.

It happened pretty quickly for me too. The first few weeks were great, my parents were visiting for the wedding, we had a little honeymoon... but then my husband had to get back to work and I got very miserable. Some people struggle more than others, and those months of waiting were very hard for me. It felt like my life was on hold.

It took 6 months to get my EAD, and then everything changed so quickly. Now I'm working, meeting new people through work, and it feels like my new life has started.

You need to keep yourself occupied, and get out of the house. Find a new hobby, go for walks or bike rides, join a gym, look for activities in your area that will help you meet people. And of course you can already look into job opportunities, find out what you'd like to do, maybe take a (online) course, work on your resume, so you'll be ready by the time that EAD arrives.

And yes, it may feel like forever, but it really is only temporary. I've been here for a year now, and I couldn't be happier. :-)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the "Moving to the US" forum, where dozens of similar threads exist.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
11 minutes ago, TBoneTX said:

Thread is moved from the K-1 Case Progress subforum to the "Moving to the US" forum, where dozens of similar threads exist.

Just looked and still not seeing those threads even in that forum, but thanks.

You could drive your her to work and pick her up when she's finished? That would give you the car for some days. I think hiking and exploring the nature are good options. TV gets boring quick, especially daytime tv. Another way to pass time is volunteering at a non-profit in a position where you aren't potentially taking a job away from the economy. Food banks, etc. It's a great way to contribute to society and feel like you are doing something for its betterment. You could also try making stuff - I can do beef jerky, pickles, cider, wine, cheese, and have made curtains/whatever else in my down time. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, GreatDane said:

You could drive your her to work and pick her up when she's finished? That would give you the car for some days. I think hiking and exploring the nature are good options. TV gets boring quick, especially daytime tv. Another way to pass time is volunteering at a non-profit in a position where you aren't potentially taking a job away from the economy. Food banks, etc. It's a great way to contribute to society and feel like you are doing something for its betterment. You could also try making stuff - I can do beef jerky, pickles, cider, wine, cheese, and have made curtains/whatever else in my down time. 

If OP just got here a couple weeks ago on K1, they likely do not have a license in order to drive around.

OP - My husband is currently in the same situation. He got here mid-May, and right now, EAD is taking around 6 months, so we know we're in this for a (temporary) long haul. We live in a small town also, and on the outskirts, to make it worse, so nothing's really in walking distance from our house. I leave for work at 6am so it's too early for me to take him anywhere on my way out, too. We feel your pain!

He tries to plan out his days during the week, even if it's simple stuff, like general chores. That way he feels like he has a schedule and wakes up knowing what his day will bring. He likes to find projects - right now, we're planning on building a small floating deck outside in our backyard, so he's looking forward to having that to work on. He's been researching jobs in his experience field (you can't apply right now, of course, but it helps to look around locally and see what's out there). He'll have to take the full written and skills test whenever he's able to get his license, so he's been studying South Carolina driving laws and terms also, so that he'll be prepared when the time comes for that. The most productive thing, of course, is to do things that will make you that much more prepared for other things when the time comes, like applying for jobs and getting your license.

Take walks, even if it's just around your neighborhood. Make it a habit, something you get up and do in the morning or wind down your afternoon with. It gives you something to look forward to. Whenever I get home, unless it's raining, we try to go to the park or our local botanical gardens to get outside and get him out of the house for a while. Even when I come home from a long day of work, I try to remind myself he's been stuck inside all day and once we get out and do something together, we both feel better.

Do you enjoy writing? Maybe start a blog, take up a virtual book club, something along those lines. Most importantly, remember this IS temporary. My husband and I try to keep in mind that things will change once he starts working, most likely our schedules will not perfectly align. We have a lot of time together right now with him not working, and that's priceless, particularly after being apart for so long.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.