44 posts in this topic

I'm too embarrassed to tell my whole story. Let me just say that my overly-sensitive husband cracked under the pressure from the CO who terrorized him. He was literally scared out of his mind and wrote a lie that was dictated to him by the CO. The man told him to write that he was still married, even though our papers with his divorce papers were sitting there in our packet.  This was after he got a screaming "sermon" in his face about how he was a bad Muslim and was threatened. I think he went into shock and can barely remember doing it. He said he was so scared, he just wanted to get out of there and escape. In fact, he became suicidal and has been depressed since then. He lives in a police state and knows that they can plant evidence anywhere or threaten his kids.

Our papers were then sent back to USCIS to be revoked. We sent in legal testimony saying he was harassed into writing the statement, but our CR1 papers were formally revoked anyway. His ex-wife even swore under oath, as did his children, that they are divorced. I should be getting the formal letter within 2 weeks.

What can we do now? Can we appeal? How in the world can we overcome this? I can't find anyone else on here who has had this experience. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Could you be the one to move?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

sorry to hear. sending positive vibes your way.

can you share where is your husband from? Do you have the same religion as he does? How did you meet him? was he divorced when you met him? how many kids he has? How long was he married before he married you? how many times have you visited him?

With all these information, maybe we can chip in some suggestion. 

P.S: Please fill the timeline

I'm not sure if it's the same, but my understanding is that getting legally divorced is not the same as religiously divorced in some places - I (think) know that in ultra orthodox Jewish communities if someone hasn't been religiously divorced at the same time as their legal divorce, in the eyes of the community they're still religiously married and thus are not able to re-marry. 

Not sure if that's the case for Muslims, but something to find out?

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

These are the questions I ask when trying to understand the circumstances of a case.

How did you first become acquainted?

How many times did you meet in person?  For how long each time?

What is YOUR age?  

How many times have you been married before?
When was your last divorce? (if applicable)

How many unmarried children do you have under age 21.

What to you do for a living?

How old is HE (your spouse)?

The four questions that followed the one about your own age.

When a visa has been denied and you are expecting a Notice of Intent to Revoke from USCIS, I always suggest the foreign spouse immediately write a detailed report of everything that happened from the time they arrived at the Consular Unit until they left, including every question asked, in order, and every answer given.

Without this information anybody trying to help you at this stage is really just shooting in the dark.

And dont ignore Pushbrk  comment. In this forum, the one guy who knows more than everyone and who have seen all #######, its him

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Pushbrk asks very relevant questions, answers to those questions may be super helpful

Good luck 

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Thanks for the compliments folks, but these are just the first questions.  They usually prompt a good number of follow-up questions, before diagnosis and prescribed solution are achieved.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

8 hours ago, pushbrk said:

These are the questions I ask when trying to understand the circumstances of a case.

How did you first become acquainted?

How many times did you meet in person?  For how long each time?

What is YOUR age?  

How many times have you been married before?
When was your last divorce? (if applicable)

How many unmarried children do you have under age 21.

What to you do for a living?

How old is HE (your spouse)?

The four questions that followed the one about your own age.

When a visa has been denied and you are expecting a Notice of Intent to Revoke from USCIS, I always suggest the foreign spouse immediately write a detailed report of everything that happened from the time they arrived at the Consular Unit until they left, including every question asked, in order, and every answer given.

Without this information anybody trying to help you at this stage is really just shooting in the dark.

Sorry, this is going to be a long post. Ok, I'm going to confess that I am Love To Teach. I have some friends who read this and they don't know what happened. My husband will probably kill me for telling this, as he is horrified at what happened. BUT the truth shall set you free. You probably already know our story. Met 7 years ago online, married for 1.5 years. I have now made 9 trips to see him. He lived in Serbia for 3 years and started a business there, now lives in Islamabad. You might recall that summer before last, he waited in line all summer trying to get another divorce paper, the one where you go to the council and have to wait 90 days. He did not get that paper when he originally divorced, as he had no intention of ever marrying again.  He had already gotten the computerized divorce paper after we decided to get married. We thought that the computerized divorce paper was enough proof of his divorce, but apparently not (even though others have been approved with only that paper). Both papers have a divorce date that was before we met. He had done the "I divorce you" (which is legal there) thing years ago, but he had to file the paper to prove it. The date on it was long before we married. I have been married 4 times before, brought over a guy who was abusive and actually held a knife to my throat. Two divorces were years and years ago (short marriages), third one was 23 years (he found somebody else). I had decided I was never getting married again, and took my time meeting my current husband. I'm 67 today (whoopee, what a great birthday) and he's 52. I have no kids. He has 4 kids, 2 in college, 2 of which graduated from Cambridge (yes, I'm very  proud of them!). He has been a good father, and totally believes in education, especially for girls. They are educated, well-respected people in that city. I'm a long-term teacher. Neither of us has any police record. He also has a travel business and has traveled all over the world (but not to US or Canada). I want you to know that my husband is the sweetest, kindest guy in the world. He has never raised his voice to me or his kids. He wasn't screamed at when he was a kid. (I know this is hard to believe but I have seen him in every possible circumstance.) He is honest and doesn't take or offer bribes..and he's had plenty of chances if you know anything about Pakistan. His dishonest acquaintances easily got green cards and brag about it. In that country, corruption rules. So an honest person is at a distinct disadvantage. Anyway, so when he gets to his interview, the first guy is nice, asks standard questions. Then he is taken to two other guys into a small room (the interrogation room). There is one American, one Pak guy. I am telling you about my husband because I want you know what kind of man he is. And, no, he doesn't have anything to hide. His kids and ex-wife have all attested to this many times that he has told me the truth. Really, we should have talked more about how they try to intimidate you. He was actually expecting a rational interview...huge mistake. First they told him, "We know how to handle people like you" in a threatening voice, which shocked him. They actually have a plan to intimate and harass people. The US guy plays nice, while they get the Pak guy to do their dirty work. So the Pak guys starts screaming at him about marrying someone and being the 5th husband. He tells him he is a terrible person and Muslim, and basically terrorized him by using his religion against him. He told him he was still married to his first wife who gave him 4 children. All of this was done by screaming and shouting at him and getting in his face. My belief is that my husband actually went into shock, like a prisoner of war. He could think of nothing but escaping that room. The Pak guy scared him into writing a statement saying he was still married...I know, I couldn't believe it either as his two divorce papers were sitting there in our giant pile of papers. I was so angry at my husband, and just in shock. But as time has gone by, I have realized that he lives in a police state. He is convinced that they can plant evidence on him and hurt his kids and family. It's almost like he has PTSD now. He can't sleep, is nervous, has high blood pressure,  always looks over his shoulder, makes sure the car doors are locked. It's just awful. He says he can hardly remember writing the papers, with just the thought of escaping the abuse. He even became suicidal, which is really scary because he doesn't even like guns and believes that killing one person is killing all of mankind. Anyway, so when we got the paper with the NOIR months ago, he went before a judge with his ex-wife and testified that yes, they are divorced and have been divorced for years. He testified that he was terrorized into writing that statement to escape that room. She signed all the papers, and so did the kids. I sent all this info/proof to USCIS, explaining all that had happened and how he was abused. I begged for the chance for another interview with a civil person. Only an idiot would conclude that he is an accomplished liar. If you think about it carefully, the only conclusion is that he must have not been in his right mind, as he is indeed divorced and the papers were sitting right there. What other reason would he have to write the statement other than to escape the terrorization? He was like a prisoner of war in a police interrogation. Everything went blank for him. I know it's hard to believe, but he had no reason to write that. Anyway, so now here we are. I received a revocation notice from USCIS and will get the letter by April 13 explaining why. I'm sure it will say lying under oath. But, you know what? Mad as I am, I know what kind of person he is. I just wish he hadn't cracked under the harassment. He has a well-known lawyer friend from Pak that practices there and in the UK (I also think they have offices here) who is going to help us write an appeal. But, really, I don't know what else we can say other than what I already sent in to USCIS. I am thinking we probably also need to get a lawyer here. One only has 30 days to respond, and that time begins when they mail the letter. I can only imagine how much it will cost. I don't know which will give out first, our health or our money. It just makes me so sad to think that they think my husband is a big liar. I know some will say he has something to hide, but I have been with him for long stretches 9 times over 5 years. I think I would have seen something in him in this amount of time. He will also be looking into other possible places to move where the flights aren't so long. Then when I retire, hopefully we can be together. I think he just cracked under the pressure, as he is really overly-sensitive. Anyway, sorry for the long post.....I am embarrassed to tell all of this, but we didn't do anything wrong. I keep thinking maybe I would do the same thing if I was in somebody else's embassy, scared, knowing they could actually make me disappear without a trace, plant something in my car, hurt my kids. They have actually threatened to have a man hung, by the way. This coming from the US Embassy, is just wrong in every way.

Timeline

i understand you are desperate to for some answer that will console you and make you feel good. But honestly posting from different username doesn't get you a different answer because we at VJ are right in the face with facts.  I know the senior VJ members smell BS 10000 miles away. So what we suggested you in past doesn't change at all.

Well, I will tell you one thing and that is from experience. We had a long fight for a visa. Take a break from just the visa and focus on your life. I know that is hard but again I am saying that from experience. 

What did we do?

took a break from VJ (until and unless I had to ask for help)

buried myself at work. That helped me take my mind off. my wife did the same thing. This helped coz I grew professionally and made enough money to take care of lawyer fees.

I took a couple of online classes and got some more fancy degree.

We planned our trips and counted every single day.

We romanced each other from 1000 of miles away.  We set up date night over skype and had our meals and laughed. 

We also looked for alternative options where we could live together. 

We focused on living life. 

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I think you should get a lawyer to reply to that letter, as last chance. If they reconfirm your petition, hope for a positive new interview result.

If USCIS revokes their approval, I would suggest to forget about an US visa. It is mentally too draining and frustrating to fight for this for years. GO AND LIVE IN A 3. COUNTRY, e.g.  UAE. Good health care, nice living standard, low crime, high pay for teacher, good business prospects for your husband, very easy self sponsoring visa requirements. The most important thing should be that you are with your husband, in a safe and nice place, not that your husband is in the US.  

They have revoked it now. We sent rebuttal, new testimony, affadavit that he was harassed into writing the paper. Even his ex went with him to sign the papers that they are divorced. They still went ahead and revoked it. The sad part is that the CO lied....and I guess that's ok with them. They should be ashamed with the way they treat people. I will be filing a complaint because it says on USCIS site that they are to treat people with respect. It has a place to file a complaint, but nothing will be done.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
3 hours ago, Love To Teach said:

Sorry, this is going to be a long post. Ok, I'm going to confess that I am Love To Teach. I have some friends who read this and they don't know what happened. My husband will probably kill me for telling this, as he is horrified at what happened. BUT the truth shall set you free. You probably already know our story. Met 7 years ago online, married for 1.5 years. I have now made 9 trips to see him. He lived in Serbia for 3 years and started a business there, now lives in Islamabad. You might recall that summer before last, he waited in line all summer trying to get another divorce paper, the one where you go to the council and have to wait 90 days. He did not get that paper when he originally divorced, as he had no intention of ever marrying again.  He had already gotten the computerized divorce paper after we decided to get married. We thought that the computerized divorce paper was enough proof of his divorce, but apparently not (even though others have been approved with only that paper). Both papers have a divorce date that was before we met. He had done the "I divorce you" (which is legal there) thing years ago, but he had to file the paper to prove it. The date on it was long before we married. I have been married 4 times before, brought over a guy who was abusive and actually held a knife to my throat. Two divorces were years and years ago (short marriages), third one was 23 years (he found somebody else). I had decided I was never getting married again, and took my time meeting my current husband. I'm 67 today (whoopee, what a great birthday) and he's 52. I have no kids. He has 4 kids, 2 in college, 2 of which graduated from Cambridge (yes, I'm very  proud of them!). He has been a good father, and totally believes in education, especially for girls. They are educated, well-respected people in that city. I'm a long-term teacher. Neither of us has any police record. He also has a travel business and has traveled all over the world (but not to US or Canada). I want you to know that my husband is the sweetest, kindest guy in the world. He has never raised his voice to me or his kids. He wasn't screamed at when he was a kid. (I know this is hard to believe but I have seen him in every possible circumstance.) He is honest and doesn't take or offer bribes..and he's had plenty of chances if you know anything about Pakistan. His dishonest acquaintances easily got green cards and brag about it. In that country, corruption rules. So an honest person is at a distinct disadvantage. Anyway, so when he gets to his interview, the first guy is nice, asks standard questions. Then he is taken to two other guys into a small room (the interrogation room). There is one American, one Pak guy. I am telling you about my husband because I want you know what kind of man he is. And, no, he doesn't have anything to hide. His kids and ex-wife have all attested to this many times that he has told me the truth. Really, we should have talked more about how they try to intimidate you. He was actually expecting a rational interview...huge mistake. First they told him, "We know how to handle people like you" in a threatening voice, which shocked him. They actually have a plan to intimate and harass people. The US guy plays nice, while they get the Pak guy to do their dirty work. So the Pak guys starts screaming at him about marrying someone and being the 5th husband. He tells him he is a terrible person and Muslim, and basically terrorized him by using his religion against him. He told him he was still married to his first wife who gave him 4 children. All of this was done by screaming and shouting at him and getting in his face. My belief is that my husband actually went into shock, like a prisoner of war. He could think of nothing but escaping that room. The Pak guy scared him into writing a statement saying he was still married...I know, I couldn't believe it either as his two divorce papers were sitting there in our giant pile of papers. I was so angry at my husband, and just in shock. But as time has gone by, I have realized that he lives in a police state. He is convinced that they can plant evidence on him and hurt his kids and family. It's almost like he has PTSD now. He can't sleep, is nervous, has high blood pressure,  always looks over his shoulder, makes sure the car doors are locked. It's just awful. He says he can hardly remember writing the papers, with just the thought of escaping the abuse. He even became suicidal, which is really scary because he doesn't even like guns and believes that killing one person is killing all of mankind. Anyway, so when we got the paper with the NOIR months ago, he went before a judge with his ex-wife and testified that yes, they are divorced and have been divorced for years. He testified that he was terrorized into writing that statement to escape that room. She signed all the papers, and so did the kids. I sent all this info/proof to USCIS, explaining all that had happened and how he was abused. I begged for the chance for another interview with a civil person. Only an idiot would conclude that he is an accomplished liar. If you think about it carefully, the only conclusion is that he must have not been in his right mind, as he is indeed divorced and the papers were sitting right there. What other reason would he have to write the statement other than to escape the terrorization? He was like a prisoner of war in a police interrogation. Everything went blank for him. I know it's hard to believe, but he had no reason to write that. Anyway, so now here we are. I received a revocation notice from USCIS and will get the letter by April 13 explaining why. I'm sure it will say lying under oath. But, you know what? Mad as I am, I know what kind of person he is. I just wish he hadn't cracked under the harassment. He has a well-known lawyer friend from Pak that practices there and in the UK (I also think they have offices here) who is going to help us write an appeal. But, really, I don't know what else we can say other than what I already sent in to USCIS. I am thinking we probably also need to get a lawyer here. One only has 30 days to respond, and that time begins when they mail the letter. I can only imagine how much it will cost. I don't know which will give out first, our health or our money. It just makes me so sad to think that they think my husband is a big liar. I know some will say he has something to hide, but I have been with him for long stretches 9 times over 5 years. I think I would have seen something in him in this amount of time. He will also be looking into other possible places to move where the flights aren't so long. Then when I retire, hopefully we can be together. I think he just cracked under the pressure, as he is really overly-sensitive. Anyway, sorry for the long post.....I am embarrassed to tell all of this, but we didn't do anything wrong. I keep thinking maybe I would do the same thing if I was in somebody else's embassy, scared, knowing they could actually make me disappear without a trace, plant something in my car, hurt my kids. They have actually threatened to have a man hung, by the way. This coming from the US Embassy, is just wrong in every way.

Hey very sad to hear that,feeling your pain.

Actually not just this i have heard a lot of harrassment cases from islamabad embassy from a long time.

I have also applied from my spouse and son under 21 currently in Pakistan.

I think actually the main reason for all this is  being Pakistan is on top ten in u.s high fraud list.

So in these countries they have given sole authority to interviewer to make decision at last moment,secondly due to Pakistan as a isLamic country raised many red flags in petitions.

Age and religion differences and divorce are becoming major matters nowadays from islamabad embassy.

Only 1 out of 10 people got approval at the time of interview from islamabad embassy,others are usually given slip for furthur investigations.

I think doing investigations is fine,but this harrasment and raising red flags is disturbing many people lives.

Soo hopefully you should be getting something from court.

Good LuCk for your future.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.