Beast333

US to require would-be immigrants to turn over social media handles

318 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

So guys how will this thing affect visas especially from high fraud countries list.

Will every immigrant will have to addidional wait for social media checking or can be denied for any facebook post or any unknown call that even that person dont know about that.

This is serious issue.!

Even all social media id names and you telephone numbers would be required now!

Dont know why trump administration is turning blind eye to gun control and just pushing immigrants further and further!!!

Washington (CNN) - The Trump administration plans to require immigrants applying to come to the United States to submit five years of social media history, it announced Thursday, setting up a potential scouring of their Twitter and Facebook histories.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cnn.com%2F2018%2F03%2F29%2Fpolitics%2Fimmigrants-social-media-information%2Findex.html&h=ATMowBarQ7ZsEKe9d4RcPKT3VJTcQmTKqzysMDJsSNeYVRlQRNe88BZd1Loq5164RGsw3-kZjDrjqyhhdksgw2vINyEBaKYpad_pmpKmXGKM9H9J2GnONnyv&s=1

Timeline
Just now, navj1699 said:

I don't think they can ask for history, It should be against privacy. 

Though they might sneak into one's SNS without sharing that they did.

Well i think you have not read the article.

They are requiring your privacy from last 5 years.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 minute ago, Ben&Zian said:

Again, main stream media (CNN, MSNBC, ect) live to strike "fear and terror" into people. Especially immigrants. Notice, ICE goes to arrest known illegal criminals and news networks only manage to complain that ICE is "terrorizing immigrant communities"... always stuff from them like that that drives the average American and LPR crazy to hear.

That's right, News feeds are more of exaggeration then facts.

Timeline
Just now, Ben&Zian said:

Again, main stream media (CNN, MSNBC, ect) live to strike "fear and terror" into people. Especially immigrants. Notice, ICE goes to arrest known illegal criminals and news networks only manage to complain that ICE is "terrorizing immigrant communities"... always stuff from them like that that drives the average American and LPR crazy to hear.

Lol this is not for CNN or anti- CNN.

This news is circulating among all like bbc.

I have seen cases from like islamabad embassy or ghana embassy requiring 5 years social media and mobile numbers record.

So this is a serious issue!

No other countries require this.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

They have been doing this at certain embassies (I know Morocco is one) to some - not all - applicants for some time now. It's called the DS5535 form. 

It asks for all social media handles (FB, Twitter, Instagram) as well as any email address or phone number used for the last five years. 

There are many people sitting on AP waiting for their DS5535 forms to be processed. 

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is too much. Any social media posts that pose any threat to the country should already be monitored. I'd like to know what would be a 'red flag' to them. Anything anti-Trump? Would that be a reason for denial?

And if someone was posting anything 'dangerous', I can't imagine they'd voluntarily give up that username.

Waste of time.

Timeline
Just now, EandH0904 said:

They have been doing this at certain embassies (I know Morocco is one) to some - not all - applicants for some time now. It's called the DS5535 form. 

It asks for all social media handles (FB, Twitter, Instagram) as well as any email address or phone number used for the last five years. 

There are many people sitting on AP waiting for their DS5535 forms to be processed. 

Yeah thats what i am saying.

It should be applicable where needed,where they suspect anything wrong but why should all people undergo this thing!

Timeline
1 minute ago, yeahbuddy said:

This is too much. Any social media posts that pose any threat to the country should already be monitored. I'd like to know what would be a 'red flag' to them. Anything anti-Trump? Would that be a reason for denial?

And if someone was posting anything 'dangerous', I can't imagine they'd voluntarily give up that username.

Waste of time.

I think trump is just pushing immigrants further as he failed to pass bill to stop u.s citizens filing for their family members!

This dilema should stop and trump administration should be focusing on gun controL.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.