Nemeseax

Money and immigration

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
1 minute ago, Alabamak1 said:

i completely agree with the part of closing accounts. an established account is better with small amount of money, than a new one with a lot of it. Banking laws have changed so much that making transfers later makes it difficult. I have dual citizenship and my native country made a huge deal when i opened an account later 

Exactly. I have a dual-citizen German friend living in US trying to open an account in Germany. Huge production! Keep your Swedish account and use it when you are visiting there. No need to close the door behind you. 

You can still transfer part of the money.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

i cut this from an attorneys example of a bona fide marriage

• make your spouse a beneficiary on your retirement account or other accounts that require or allow a payout to a beneficiary upon the holder’s death
  • make sure that both spouses are covered under your health insurance policy (if possible, and if the other spouse doesn't have his or her own insurance)
  • if you live together, add your spouse to your house deed, mortgage, or apartment lease
  • if you live together, add your spouse’s name to your garbage, utility, cable, and other bills
  • take out a joint credit card
  • open a joint bank account
  • file joint tax returns
  • join a gym or club together, or
  • buy a car or other major asset together.

8/7/2017                    NOA-1

3/1/2018                    NOA-2

3/15/2018                  NVC case received

3/22/2018                  NVC case assigned

3/23/2018                  Consulate ready

4/11/2018                  Medical

4/17/2018                  Visa Approved

4/24/2018                  Visa on hand

5/23/2018                  Point of Entry ATL

5/24/2018                  Marriage license, officiant and certificate / applied for SS#

5/31/2018                  AOS/AP/EAD

6/7/2018                    email notification of NOA-1

6/11/2018                  NOA-1 hard copies for AOS/EAD/AP

6/27/2018                  Biometrics for AOS/EAD

7/7/2018                    ready to be scheduled for interview

7/11/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (email from USCIS)

8/22/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (same email again)

9/5/2018                     We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is getting boring!!!)

10/3/2018                  We are still reviewing your case and there are no updates at this time (this is insanity, 4th time while some got GC)

10/17/2018                After 136 days of wait in HELL, finally EAD in production

10/21/2018                Card was mailed to me, and yes it said so on a Sunday night, while Vj-ing

10/22/2018                Card was picked up by the USPS

10/24/2018                EAD in hand. F%^&& finally

12/28/2018                Interview has been scheduled. Waiting for notification with date by snail mail

59 minutes ago, D.Ba said:

I am keeping a chunk of my money in Germany, and the FBAR is nothing, it’s a form with about 3 lines that you hand in annually. Not a hassle. 

Think about the disadvantages before you close your accounts in your home country.

What's a disadvantage by closing your German account? I have closed mine after I transferred all my money to my US account. Haven't had a problem. Did you not de-register from the German offices? 

@Nemeseax transferring your money to your new joint account is not a problem.

Edited by little immigrant

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline
38 minutes ago, Alabamak1 said:

i cut this from an attorneys example of a bona fide marriage

• make your spouse a beneficiary on your retirement account or other accounts that require or allow a payout to a beneficiary upon the holder’s death
  • make sure that both spouses are covered under your health insurance policy (if possible, and if the other spouse doesn't have his or her own insurance)
  • if you live together, add your spouse to your house deed, mortgage, or apartment lease
  • if you live together, add your spouse’s name to your garbage, utility, cable, and other bills
  • take out a joint credit card
  • open a joint bank account
  • file joint tax returns
  • join a gym or club together, or
  • buy a car or other major asset together.

Thankyou so much- almost all done except health insurance  ( not possible as my husband has VA) and gym ( not using) .According to buying a var together- we have few trucks and motorcycles together so no plans to buying anything more. 

Plus; so far have about 150 pics of us from wedding; after wedding, at trips, with friends,at home, with our pets, some about our specific hobby  ( which brought us together sonehow) ...will make more. 

Of course we will collect more proofs before our interview + we have started to learn all that questions  ( number of Windows; doors, color of toothbrush etc ).We hope the best. 

If it helps any, we sold a lot of assets as we prepared to move to the U.S and both our foreign bank and U.S bank advised us to just make sure we kept a paper trail because of money laundering concerns etc. Other than that, we had no problems moving the huge sum of money and no one asked us about it (except for the forms we filled in to move the money).

Consulate: South Africa
Married: 2011-06-25
I-130 Sent: 2011-07-22
I-130 NOA1: 2011-07-25
I-130 Approved: 2011-07-27
Receive I-864 Package: 2011-11-10
Return Completed I-864: 2011-11-14
Packet 3 Received: 2011-11-10
Packet 3 Sent: 2011-11-10
Packet 4 Received: 2011-11-15
Interview Date: 2011-11-30
Interview Result: Approved
Visa Received: 2011-12-06
US Entry: 2012-01-11
Port of Entry: San Francisco

ROC I-751 Filed: 2013-12-19

NOA1: 2013-12-23

Biometrics: 2014-01-16

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
9 hours ago, little immigrant said:

What's a disadvantage by closing your German account? I have closed mine after I transferred all my money to my US account. Haven't had a problem. Did you not de-register from the German offices? 

@Nemeseax transferring your money to your new joint account is not a problem.

Let me tell you what the advantage is: When I travel to Germany, I withdraw euros and pay with my German debit card. No worry about exchange rates or using a foreign credit card.

Also, my European customers can pay me in euros and transfer to my German account at no cost or via my German PayPal (don't worry, it's all declared for taxes).

The other thing is a German specialty: If you want to naturalize in the US you have to apply first to keep the German citizenship and become a dual citizen. Having bank accounts is one reason for them to allow you to keep German citizenship.

Certainly I "de-registered". I also told my bank I live in the US now so they do not deduct investment tax from my dividends.

Edited by D.Ba
addition

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
9 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

Thankyou so much- almost all done except health insurance  ( not possible as my husband has VA) and gym ( not using) .According to buying a var together- we have few trucks and motorcycles together so no plans to buying anything more. 

Plus; so far have about 150 pics of us from wedding; after wedding, at trips, with friends,at home, with our pets, some about our specific hobby  ( which brought us together sonehow) ...will make more. 

Of course we will collect more proofs before our interview + we have started to learn all that questions  ( number of Windows; doors, color of toothbrush etc ).We hope the best. 

You will be perfectly fine, no need to worry.  😀  I think you are probably over-preparing for an interview that is likely going to be a breeze.

I mean the only unusual thing would be not wanting to stay in the Faroe Islands.  My heart is over here breaking because had that been an option in our Denmark vs. America, I would have taken that any day. ;) 

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
11 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

I want to transfer all my saved money .A little bit more then just for every day expenses  ( not a millions lol).

But that might be suspicious as I will pay my husband for helping me for my Green Card ( they might think) .

Also; do they have legal right to check personal accounts? Seems kinda really " too much " to me.

Yes USCIS has the right (and you give that to them in you signed declaration) to check everything. 

If you transfer your money into a joint account with your Fiance or husband, then print out the account statements and keep in a file for presentation at the AOS interview. We did not have an AOS interview since he was grilled at the US Embassy in Nairobi, I suppose

Regards

David

Be careful with wiring big amounts from your personal account straight to your US spouse account as it might get scrutiny by the IRS (gift), especially if you haven't filed jointly (yet). Better to wire to joint account in SWE first, and then onwards.

Also, use a service like TransferWise to send the money, their xchange rates are much better than the big banks. 

As an aside, filing FBARs is not a huge inconvenience once you're used to it (it's just keeping track of balances) and if you keep the balance low you don't even have to. 

It's good to keep all options open in today's world.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Faroe Islands
Timeline
4 hours ago, N-o-l-a said:

You will be perfectly fine, no need to worry.  😀  I think you are probably over-preparing for an interview that is likely going to be a breeze.

I mean the only unusual thing would be not wanting to stay in the Faroe Islands.  My heart is over here breaking because had that been an option in our Denmark vs. America, I would have taken that any day. ;) 

We will probably buy a little house there and occasionally spend some time, gather with my family etc. I was actually LPR of Sweden before have moved to Alaska. 

I hope that IO at interview will not see another red flag hahaha. 

Thank you!😊

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Netherlands
Timeline
15 hours ago, Longingfor said:

A word of advice. Always have your own personal account for your saving and then have a joint account that you both use to pay bills, buy groceries, buy gas.

This.

First of all it will be easier to transfer money to your own account as tax wise (it wont be looked at as a gift). Second, it wont look suspicious to the USCIS in any way cause you are transferring from your account to your account.

Personally I would keep my account in my home country as well. I will too. I won't have income on it, it's just to make some things easier (receiving money gifts from mom and dad, paying for trips ect).

06.01.2016 met online                                                                    

06.23.2017 met in person                                                              

12.16.2017 got engaged

K1 fiance visa

12.20.2017 K1 filed

12.22.2017 NOA-1

07.10.2018 NOA-2 (200 days)

07.18.2018 case at NVC (case number available on 07.20)

7.26.2018 case at Amsterdam Consulate

7.27-2018 P3 through e-mail

08.02.2018 medical

08.14.2018 interview APPROVED 

08.21.2018 POE

08.25.2018 💕Married 💕

AOS adjustment of status and AP/EAD 

08.27.2018 filed AOS, AP and EAD

08.30.2018 NOA-1 on all 3

9.21.2018 RFE on AOS

9.28.2018 replied to RFE

10.04.2018 biometrics appointment Louisville

11.29.2018 AOS interview Indianapolis  

01.28.2019 AOS approved

ROC removal of conditions

12.7.2020 filed ROC 

1.30.2021 NOA-1

5.28.2021 existing biometrics applied (no new biometrics done)

10.27.2021 ROC approved (no interview)

Check your case status: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov

Call USCIS: 800-375-5283 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline
9 hours ago, D.Ba said:

Let me tell you what the advantage is: When I travel to Germany, I withdraw euros and pay with my German debit card. No worry about exchange rates or using a foreign credit card.

Also, my European customers can pay me in euros and transfer to my German account at no cost or via my German PayPal (don't worry, it's all declared for taxes).

The other thing is a German specialty: If you want to naturalize in the US you have to apply first to keep the German citizenship and become a dual citizen. Having bank accounts is one reason for them to allow you to keep German citizenship.

Certainly I "de-registered". I also told my bank I live in the US now so they do not deduct investment tax from my dividends.

There's several helpful posts on this thread, this being one of them. Thank you for sharing! My fiancé (who's Swedish) intends on eventually retaining dual citizenship between the states and Sweden, as we intend on traveling to Sweden often (his family is there obviously) and it's still home to him. This is a good thing to think about. Even without dual citizenship, traveling there often may benefit from maintaining accounts in Sweden. We hadn't even thought about this.

Håll ut, y'all.

K1 Process                                                                                AOS Process

July 2015 - met online thanks to Zak Bagans                                                            May 25, 2018 - South Carolina marriage license issued

June 2016 - first in-person meeting                                                                             May 26, 2018 - legally married

August 2016 - stateside visit                                                                                        June 7, 2018 - applied for Social Security Number [manual verification required]

February-April 2017 - stateside visit                                                                           June 18, 2018 - SSN/card received in the mail

April 4, 2017 - got engaged                                                                                          June 30, 2018 - submitted I-485 (AOS)/I-765 (EAD)/I-131 (AP) together

June 5, 2017 - submitted I129F                                                                                   July 9, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP electronic NOA1 received

June 12, 2017 - received NOA1                                                                                   July 13, 2018 - AOS/EAD/AP hard copy NOA1 received (dated July 6, 2018)

December 1, 2017 - received NOA2                                                                            July 25, 2018 - Biometrics appointment (Charlotte, NC)

January 17, 2018 - NVC received case                                                                      August 1, 2018 - case status updated to "Ready to be Scheduled for Interview"

January 18, 2018 - received NVC case number by phone                                      August 11, 2018 - case status updated to "I-485 Interview Scheduled"

January 24, 2018 - packet received via email                                                           August 16, 2018 - AOS Interview Scheduled letter received

February 15, 2018 - medical appointment                                                                 August 28, 2018 - visited civil surgeon (Winston-Salem, NC) to complete I-693

February-March 2018 - trip to Gothenburg                                                                                                [beneficiary had to get one remaining vaccination stateside]

February 22, 2018 - interview at the US Embassy in Stockholm                            September 18, 2018 - I-485/AOS Interview in Greer, SC

[passed, pending receipt of medical papers]                           September 18, 2018 - case status updated to "Card Has Been Issued/Mailed"

February 27, 2018 - medical papers received by Embassy                                     September 25, 2018 - Green Card received in the mail

March 5, 2018 - visa received in the mail with passport                                          October 6, 2018 - traditional wedding with family & friends

May 16, 2018 - POE in Charlotte, NC

Up next.... Removal of Conditions!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
1 hour ago, Paul & Mallory said:

There's several helpful posts on this thread, this being one of them. Thank you for sharing! My fiancé (who's Swedish) intends on eventually retaining dual citizenship between the states and Sweden, as we intend on traveling to Sweden often (his family is there obviously) and it's still home to him. This is a good thing to think about. Even without dual citizenship, traveling there often may benefit from maintaining accounts in Sweden. We hadn't even thought about this.

I don't know if whatever bank in Sweden works the same way, but my husband has his Danish bank account open... the problem is with getting the card renewals in a timely enough manner to activate them and then that list of access codes they send out.  

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
21 hours ago, Nemeseax said:

USCIS wants us to have join account as the proof of bona fide marriage , right? 

I think this particular question hasn't been answered yet, so I'll give it a try:  From what I understand a joint account would be helpful, but is not required.  Spouses are free to arrange their finances as they like, including keeping separate accounts or no accounts at all.  USCIS would probably be interested to hear how you handle your finances, but if you have a good explanation and sufficient evidence that shouldn't be a problem.  Is that right? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.