Cam54

What are the benefits of citizenship?

84 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
14 hours ago, Cam54 said:

I am eligible to apply for naturalization next month and id like people's ideas on pros and cons. A big con to me is jury duty as it's such an inefficient system here and id rather not yearly have the threat of lost earnings compared to the U.K. Where you're only called a couple times in a lifetime. I'm 4 months pregnant so not sure if that will sway any pro ideas.

1. Opportunity to vote FOR Trump in 2020.

2. Jury Duty is not every year, but every four years (whether it is city/county or federal, you just serve once).

3. You are a UK Citizen now? Dual citizenship. However, just be aware that UK banks etc are asking for US SS # for reporting earned income in the UK to the IRS here.

4 minutes ago, implife said:

At my USC interview, when asked why I wanted to become a citizen, I said: to travel with an American passport.

Greater mobility is definitely a plus.  After this "divorce," I don't have to tell USCIS where I live anymore (unless I decide to sponsor my parents - assuming that option is still available at the end of this mess), I can travel to most countries without a visa (American citizens still need one to visit Vietnam, which is a country my husband and I would love to see), I do want to vote, and I want the option to apply for a job that is typically only open to US citizens - someone replied they would like to apply at USCIS, I was thinking about that too! lol

I wish I had done it at my 5 year residency, when it was still $680 - already considered a small fortune for our family.  The fees only go higher at this point.  I did not want to wait until fees became very prohibitive.  Talked to some folks who applied way back when - they only paid $70! Sigh.

Oh well...at least now I know my name is in the queue. One and will be done (at some point).

Be smart, have a plan, and hang on to the people you love. - Chris Gardner

N-400 Timeline

02-23-2018: Sent N-400 Application online

02-23-2018: Date on NOA, retrieved from online account

02-23-2018: Date on Biometrics Appointment Letter (Biometrics Appointment at Jacksonville ASC on March 13, 10:00 a.m.)

03-08-2018: Biometrics complete

04-05-2018: Case status updated - Interview Scheduled on May 10, 2018, 10:15 a.m. :D

05-10-2018: Citizenship Interview - Passed English and Civics Tests, Recommended for Approval! :D 

06-19-2018: Received email and text notification: Naturalization Ceremony Scheduled; waited for letter to be uploaded on online account - it has been set on Wednesday, July 25, 3:00 p.m.

07-25-2018: I am now a U.S. Citizen!

K3-K4 Journey.txt

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Finland
Timeline

All EU banks are requiring information about you if you are a resident / citizen of the US so that they can report on your accounts in the EU...  I can't recall exactly what the agreement name was, but it is a definite reality.  It does not require you to have any income, even a dormant account will trigger the reporting requirement...

5 hours ago, jkstark said:

Regarding taxes:  If you are a LPR, and you have income outside of the country, you *still* have to file and pay taxes in the US, just as if you were a citizen.  Taxation does not change between being a LPR and a citizen, so that is neither a pro nor a con.

Uhm if you cease being an LPR you dont have to file taxes with the USA!  So yeah, moving away without intending on living in the USA again, means no more US taxes! But as a citizen, yup yer supposed to file. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I like that we are a bunch of mature individuals about voting. Seriously. -_-

The right to vote is something that I would never want to give up. It is also something I'd want to have if I moved to another country. Do not give up that right just because you don't want to go to jury duty. I've never been called for it. Ever.

The biggest con I will say is taxes and banking requirements.

There are many banks overseas that refuse to serve US citizens because of the onerous reporting requirements for FATCA. You'll have to file an income tax every year no matter whether you live in the US or not but the first $90,000 is exempt from taxation. It can get weird and difficult if you have property (e.g. real estate or investments), businesses, etc abroad.

That said, I became a US citizen because this is the country I grew up in and I was fortunate enough to have acquired a green card. There really isn't another home for me elsewhere. Plus, this being the most powerful country on Earth (for now, whether we agree with it or not), being able to vote in its elections and partake in its political sphere means you can not only influence the direction of your community but possibly even the world.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
1 hour ago, Gary_UK said:

Do you have any information to substantiate this ?

Yes.

https://americansoverseas.org/en/everything-you-have-to-know-about-ssn-social-security-number/

(applies to the UK too).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
16 hours ago, Cam54 said:

I am eligible to apply for naturalization next month and id like people's ideas on pros and cons. A big con to me is jury duty as it's such an inefficient system here and id rather not yearly have the threat of lost earnings compared to the U.K. Where you're only called a couple times in a lifetime. I'm 4 months pregnant so not sure if that will sway any pro ideas.

Jury duty aside, I think that the perceived benefits (and costs) of US citizenship are different than the perceived benefits of dual-citizenship.
Since the US recognises dual-citizenship, if one's current citizenship also recognises dual citizenship, then to me there is very little detriment to becoming a US citizen, and participating in society as such. At any point down the line, US citizenship could be renounced (for free) at any US Embassy or Consulate abroad.

12 minutes ago, Suudsu said:

Jury duty aside, I think that the perceived benefits (and costs) of US citizenship are different than the perceived benefits of dual-citizenship.
Since the US recognises dual-citizenship, if one's current citizenship also recognises dual citizenship, then to me there is very little detriment to becoming a US citizen, and participating in society as such. At any point down the line, US citizenship could be renounced (for free) at any US Embassy or Consulate abroad.

Sometimes there is an expatriation tax :(

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/expatriation-tax

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
2 hours ago, NYCruiser said:

2. Jury Duty is not every year, but every four years (whether it is city/county or federal, you just serve once).

It varies state to state. California, you can be called once every year. In the District of Columbia, it is every two years. Don't know about the rest of the country...

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The right to vote against Trump is nice in theory but living in California we do a good job voting liberal as it is, maybe I should move to a swing state where my vote might have more of an impact lol.

Submitted k1 visa petition - January 20th,2013NOA1 - February 2nd 2013NOA2 - June 20th 2013Medical - August 14th 2013<p>Interview - October 4th
Moved to California January 8th smile.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
17 hours ago, Cam54 said:

I've been called a few times,  never served.  The first time I stated I was for Jury nullification, and if you know what that is,  they will dismiss you, but you still have to show up.  The other times I was never picked for the 18 or so people out of 100-120 people.  It goes by drivers license.  If you get a letter, and show up, and regardless if you sit or not, I  think you do not get called in for 4 or more years, maybe.  3 times in 30 years is not earth shattering.  The reason for 12 jurors is that you can not threaten or bribe all 12 for a certain outcome, whereas plenty of judges have been busted accepting bribes and kickback for convictions.  Does your drivers license say "non resident" or something where it is not in the jury pool?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.