dentsflogged

K1 vs. CR-1 - why the difference in processing time?

14 posts in this topic

I feel sorta dumb asking this, especially since I've been reading this forum on & off for months now, but since my partner and I are going through the application and putting it together at the moment (we're physically together for another 2 weeks which makes it SO much easier) but we are both a little perplexed as to why the K-1 visa processing time seems to be much faster than the CR-1?  

I know that obviously the CR-1 allows for work basically right away - that's not a concern to us at all (thankfully money isn't a problem with us, which makes us very very lucky compared to others) but we are both completely at a loss to understand why the processing timeline seems different. 

Anyone able to shed some light?

7 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

I feel sorta dumb asking this, especially since I've been reading this forum on & off for months now, but since my partner and I are going through the application and putting it together at the moment (we're physically together for another 2 weeks which makes it SO much easier) but we are both a little perplexed as to why the K-1 visa processing time seems to be much faster than the CR-1?  

I know that obviously the CR-1 allows for work basically right away - that's not a concern to us at all (thankfully money isn't a problem with us, which makes us very very lucky compared to others) but we are both completely at a loss to understand why the processing timeline seems different. 

CR1 is faster, if you calculate from the start to green card in hand. 

Also, money, or permission to work, is not the only reason why one might prefer the CR1. Need and want to travel freely was mine.

Edited by Lemonslice

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Think of it this way...

Amount of time USCIS/NVS/embassies spend processing a CR1 visa < amount of time USCIS/embassy spends processing a k1 visa + amount of time USCIS spends processing AOS.

There really are a lot of benefits associated with CR1 over K1. By having green card and SSN already in hand, it becomes much easier to comingle accounts, much easier to establish credit in America, quicker to US citizenship by several months.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

It's only faster (and not much faster at all) until both people are together in the US.  From every other aspect, the K-1 is much slower....and MUCH more expensive.

K-1

Ability to travel outside the US after marriage- restricted until A/P is APPROVED- about 4 months or longer

Ability to work after marriage- restricted until EAD is APPROVED- 4 months or longer

Green Card in hand after marriage- about a year

Must apply for AOS to receive Green Card and obtain legal status in US

CR-1

Immigrant is free to travel outside US immediately upon arrival in US

Immigrant is free to work immediately upon arrival in US

Green Card is hand within 2 or 3 weeks (in many cases).

No need to AOS.  

All things considered, I think the CR-1 is superior.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Russ&Caro said:

it becomes much easier to comingle accounts, much easier to establish credit in America, quicker to US citizenship by several months.

Exactly.  These are good points...

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline

One more thing........

OP, you asked a very good question.  I think many couples think only about being together in the US as soon as possible.  It's not always easy to see the bigger picture.  I have seen post after post by couples who filed a K-1 visa, but later regretted that they didn't marry and obtain a CR-1......

Good Luck to you in your journey.  This will be a wild ride..

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

There are many aspects to deciding between the K1 and CR1 as the others have posted.  If you only look at the time to be together in the US, then yes, the K1 is faster, but if you look at the time from the start to the GC, then the CR1 is faster.  For us it was more due to the fact that Katya couldn’t get a visitor visa so she could not get any feeling for what it would be like leaving her family and living in the US, so we went the K1 route, so she could at least get a feeling before we actually got married.  In general, the CR1 is a superior visa, but the K1 still has its place.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: England
Timeline
39 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

We did the K1 visa.  We are lucky to not have to worry financially either so my husband not being able to work has not been a big stress in that regard.  The stress has come from my husband not having any freedom, so to speak.  He has been bored out of his mind not being able to work.  He feels down a lot about not having any income coming in to contribute to our household (he does have a savings that he came over with but we only use that in emergencies).  He is really lacking and missing the interaction with adults on a daily basis as the only time he gets out is when we go out together.  And there are times that I am a bit bitter when I come home exhausted from working all day/week.  Not because I am upset with him in any way.. he doesn't choose not to work.. but because I am annoyed with the process and the fact that he is home all day while I am working when he is more than capable of working right now.  blah. lol

Another thing to consider is travel.  My husbands grandmother passed away a few weeks ago and he was unable to attend the funeral.  This is partly because the funeral was hours after his green card interview and we could not miss that.  But if he would have had this coming in to the US the first time, this would not be an issue.  That has been really hard on him that he was not there for that. 

He did get approved for his green card on Dec 14 which is right under 6 months from when he entered on a K1 but we were very very fortunate that our case was processed so quickly.  Many people who applied before us are still waiting on their EAD/AP.  It was definitely fantastic to have him here earlier and to be able to be together during this waiting time but it has not been all rainbows and butterflies. lol.  Make sure you weigh all of your options and are fully prepared to wait for months before being able to travel or work if you choose the K1. 

Good luck on whatever route you take!

:wub:"Waiting is a sign of true love and patience.  Anyone can say "I love you", but not everyone can wait and prove it's true" :wub:

12/21/16 - I-129f packet sent to Texas

12/23/16 - I-129f packet received

1/5/17- NOA1 receipt date

1/10/17 - NOA1 Hardcopy received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline

To get the origianl visa not much difference any more

in 2009 our K1 was application was in July and interview in November (5 months)

and CR1 taking a year normally

NOW K1 is taking around a year as both USCIS,  NVC and all embassies are backed up with applications and interviews

CR1 a bit longer but not by much 

so, mentioned above CR1 has a lot more beneits

Danger is,  do not marry on first meeting

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

originally it was faster for K1 as it was a lot less paperwork for immigration (example no marriage certificate to check)

As CR1 is much more permanent the background checks on both parties is more extensive / CR 1 giving green card to work and stay in US (even if later there is a divorce)  you are able to work and have many benefits not given to K1

Immigration does more work later (K1) for the AOS and that is now a long processing time 

in reality the K1 takes longer from start to finish

and K1 is many times denied making the time even longer to marry and reapply

immigration does not make any of the process easy or cheap for us as they take it very seriously 

Thanks all for the replies. 

It seems the best info I can get as to why the difference in processing times would be because the CR-1 is more "all encompassing" as in they do ALL the processing at once rather than in dribs and drabs with the K-1.

Still have no idea which is going to be better for us.  Money wise the extra processing fees or not being able to work for a while makes zero impact to us since we are both very financially stable and have plenty of savings, plus I'll be selling my house in Australia pre-move so money is not a factor in the decision.  

We've been together almost 2 years and have only been able to spend 6 months together total so I guess for us the main thing is being able to be together as quickly as possible rather than having to spend another round of holidays and birthday apart. 

Edited by dentsflogged

Timeline
7 minutes ago, dentsflogged said:

I guess for us the main thing is being able to be together as quickly as possible

That's what some people say.....good luck in your journey.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
22 hours ago, dentsflogged said:

Different visa, different qualifications to get petition approved, different size of the backlog at USCIS, different requirements when petition gets to NVC.  It's just different.

YMMV

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.