ms11

Fiance Visa - K1 Questions HELP!! :(

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I am an american citizen who has lived in the Philippines for almost 10 years now (roughly). I have met my fiance (soon to be wife) and am going through the fiance visa forms right now. I have a few questions I'd like to ask those that already filed for it or possibly know the answer to one or more of my questions:

1. How many pictures is enough? I have been with my fiance for over 9 years now. We have lived together for the past 3 years or so. That being said, I have a lot. How many do I send along with the form?
  2. One of the requirements was chat logs and emails etc. However, I don't have much of these since I have lived here and was with her since the very beginning of our relationship. Is that okay? It doesn't make sense for us to email each other or chat since I live with her. I mean, I don't think there is a better way to prove the relationship since our address on the form is the same and we have a TON of photos at different events, places etc.. with her family and mine and friends.
  3. When I send this to USCIS, what is the best way to package it? What I'm doing is I'm including a cover letter. In that cover letter, I itemized everything included in the plastic folder. Is there a specific way to send it? My folder has plastic sleeves and I plan on puting each form or requirement in one sleeve. One form (multiple pages) will be bunched in one plastic see through sleeve in the folder, pictures printed on paper in another, pictures printed on standard photo paper in another sleeve and so on. 

Also, I have about 50 printed images in the standard photo paper and I printed about 30 images more on paper. All of which have names of people, locations, description and dates. I'd appreciate any advice since I'd like to make sure that I do this correctly and make it as easy as possible for the USCIS officer to review it. :)

15 minutes ago, ms11 said:

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum. I am an american citizen who has lived in the Philippines for almost 10 years now (roughly). I have met my fiance (soon to be wife) and am going through the fiance visa forms right now. I have a few questions I'd like to ask those that already filed for it or possibly know the answer to one or more of my questions:

1. How many pictures is enough? I have been with my fiance for over 9 years now. We have lived together for the past 3 years or so. That being said, I have a lot. How many do I send along with the form?
  2. One of the requirements was chat logs and emails etc. However, I don't have much of these since I have lived here and was with her since the very beginning of our relationship. Is that okay? It doesn't make sense for us to email each other or chat since I live with her. I mean, I don't think there is a better way to prove the relationship since our address on the form is the same and we have a TON of photos at different events, places etc.. with her family and mine and friends.
  3. When I send this to USCIS, what is the best way to package it? What I'm doing is I'm including a cover letter. In that cover letter, I itemized everything included in the plastic folder. Is there a specific way to send it? My folder has plastic sleeves and I plan on puting each form or requirement in one sleeve. One form (multiple pages) will be bunched in one plastic see through sleeve in the folder, pictures printed on paper in another, pictures printed on standard photo paper in another sleeve and so on. 

Also, I have about 50 printed images in the standard photo paper and I printed about 30 images more on paper. All of which have names of people, locations, description and dates. I'd appreciate any advice since I'd like to make sure that I do this correctly and make it as easy as possible for the USCIS officer to review it. :)

Honestly the picture question gets asked a lot and usual answer is about 10-20 pictures. When I did it I sent three 8x10's with 6 pictures apiece on those 8x10. So have some of y'all together, you with her family, and some more of you and her with her family.

We didn't send in any chat logs at all because we texted the whole time.

Where in Pinas are you living? My asawa is from Davao. Also there is a Philippines subforum on here for Philippines specific questions. 

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/129-philippines/

Edited by cyberfx1024

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

Why are you doing a K-1 if you are there in PH?  You can marry her and just process the CR-1.

Edited by missileman

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I agree with @JFH .  OP-  You should very seriously consider marriage and DCF......It will save you a lot of time, money, and STRESS!!

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, ms11 said:

One of the requirements was chat logs and emails etc. However, I don't have much of these since I have lived here and was with her since the very beginning of our relationship. Is that okay? It doesn't make sense for us to email each other or chat since I live with her. I mean, I don't think there is a better way to prove the relationship since our address on the form is the same and we have a TON of photos at different events, places etc.. with

Nowhere in the official USCIS forms indicates to submit chat logs. It is not a requirement

Edited by MsCompE
Previous U.S. Visa/Trips
03-10-2014 : B1 issued date
03-24-2015 : B1/B2 issued date
02-26-2016 : Visited my aunt in Corpus Christi
02-27-2016 : Meet Ryan and he asked me out 
03-30-2016 : He proposed before I left U.S.
04-01-2016 : I left U.S. I wish I had enough days to marry him.
But, I have a very important business meeting to physically attend in Cebu on 04/04. I also have a business trip due in Japan for May 2016. 
Circumstances lead me to K-1. 
K1 - Journey
Spoiler

04-22-2016 : Sent I-129F Packet
07-20-2016 : Received NOA2
08-01-2016 : NVC Case # assigned
08-25-2016 : Interview Date and APPROVED!!! 
09-03-2016 : VOH
AOS - Journey
Spoiler

12-14-2016 : POE

12-30-2016 : Wedding Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-20-2017 : Sent I-485, I-765, I-131 Packet
01-24-2017 : NOA1 Received Date
02-03-2017 : Received NOA1 Hard Copy
02-04-2017 : Received Biometrics Appointment Scheduled on 02/17
02-08-2017 : Completed Biometrics
04-22-2017 : EAD Update - Card in Production
04-27-2017 : Received EAD & AP Approval Notice
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
11-17-2017 : I-485 Approved Date
11-25-2017 : I-485 Approved Notice Received
11-27-2017 : GC Received at the mailbox. No text/email notification. USCIS Case Status is still at "Fingerprint Fee Received" 

4 hours ago, MsCompE said:

Nowhere in the official USCIS forms indicates to submit chat logs. It is not a requirement

Your right it doesn't say anywhere about chat logs and I guess people just assume that they need to include chat logs when in reality it's not really necessary at all. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Norway
Timeline
13 hours ago, ms11 said:

1. My fiance and I have been together for 7 years before filing for a K1. We deiced to include about 1 or 2 picture per year of being together, so that we could provide evidence for the whole length of our relationship. For the last year of our relationship we included about 8 pictures. We varied this pictures between picture of the two of us, and pictures together with both mine and his family and friends. We also included a picture of the engagement ring. 

2. Since the two of you have been living together I would also consider including evidence of this, such as billing, apartment contracts or mail that show both of your names on them and your address. This is definitely not a K1 requirement, but it is still great supplementary evidence since you don't have chat logs. 

3. When it comes to the packaging of the I-129F I think it does not really matter how you package it. From what I have heard the USCIS will take all your papers out of the packaging anyways and fill it in the one way. I have hear though that one should not hole punch any of the papers one submites. Don't know if that is true or not, but better to me safe than sorry. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
15 hours ago, JFH said:

I clicked on this thread to say the same. You can even do DCF for a spousal visa in the Philippines. Takes a few months. Your wife will then be a permanent resident (green card holder) the second she arrives and can start work, drive, etc immediately. No adjustment of status, no time spent in limbo with no real status and... it's much cheaper! 

I think youre crazy wanting to do a K-1 in your situation. 

15 hours ago, missileman said:

I agree with @JFH .  OP-  You should very seriously consider marriage and DCF......It will save you a lot of time, money, and STRESS!!

Yep, I agree. And what is more, it seems that with the changes in the adjustment of status directives even k-1 visa holders may no longer get interview waivers at the adjustment of status. Therefore it may take even longer to get the green card after getting married. And the whole process (including getting ap/ead cards) may take much longer.

OP, you guys should seriously consider the DCF option. If your only reason to marry in the us is so friends and family in the us can attend, then maybe just do another ceremony/event in the us once you arrive. But for the k-1 you are looking at a much more expensive and now (thanks to trump) an even longer time till you guys will have the green card.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Chat logs are not a requirement. The only requirement is pictures and how many you submit is up to you, however I personally think 50 might be overkill when you just need to prove you have met at least once during the last two years before filing. I included 7 pictures all taken at different times of the year. I would recommend including pictures from early on in your relationship to now. Don't forget to provide the dates and location. 

Consider submitting anything related to you living together. Lease with both your names on it, bills, etc. 

I went on on YouTube and looked up "I-129F package assembly" and found that very helpful. I think the presentation is important and these tutorials will give you a good idea of what to do. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Indonesia
Timeline
20 hours ago, ms11 said:

1. We submitted one picture. It was enough for USCIS. My financee brought about a dozen more to the interview. 

2. It isn't a requirement. We submitted zero. No problems.

3. Whatever makes it easiest for them to arrange it the way they have to do it. In other words, don't put it in binders or go crazy with staples. Beyond that, I don't think it really matters much.

Good luck! 

Removing Conditions Timeline

Aug. 10, '17: Mailed in I-751

Aug. 21, '17: NOA1

October 23, '18: NOA2- approval

October 30, 18: 10-year GC received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

1. 5 or so is plenty

2. Send what proof you have of living together.  Send what evidence of ongoing relationship you do have. Event tickets receipts etc. Philippines is not known to be a difficult embassy. 

3. Keep it simple. Stack papers/documents in order of cover letter, slide stack into large envelope and address it. No staples. Folders, binder clips, etc are not necessary and will be thrown away. 

Edited by LionessDeon

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is completely off topic.... but I'm curious to as how (on your affidavit of support) are you going to prove that you can support her in the united states.  Since you don't live in the USA, I assume that you don't work in the USA.  

I suppose there might be other ways around it, but the K1 visa is usually intended for those who currently live in the US, and want to bring over their fiance.   It seems so much easier to just CR1.

To answer your question, we sent 10 photos.  In those photos I was sure to include pictures of both of us together with family and friends.  

I did send my call logs to show that we talk on a daily basis (again, this is to prove the long distant relationship is a bonafide relationship) 

its all up to the officers discretion,  and we have to send in these sort of things because we don't have things like apartment leases, insurance cards, car titles, health insurance, bank accounts, etc with both our names on it.  You have be living here in order to provide this information. 

10/3/16 I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

10/5/16 Delivered at Lewisville, TX

10/11/16 NOA1 Received

11/3/16 NOA2 Received

11/8/16 NOA2 Hard Copy Received

11/22/16 NVC Received I-129

12/2/16 Consulate Review

12/15/16 Interview Date

8 minutes ago, DelilahBrz said:

This is completely off topic.... but I'm curious to as how (on your affidavit of support) are you going to prove that you can support her in the united states.  Since you don't live in the USA, I assume that you don't work in the USA. 

USEM usually doesn't ask for an I-134 (but they still can and you should be ready to present one if requested). That said, if they do request one then foreign income likely won't qualify (it needs to continue from the same source after returning to the US) and co sponsors are only accepted on a case by case basis with USEM.

If they marry and do an CR-1 instead (via DCF preferred...), then the I-864 is required (both by NVC and USEM COs) but joint sponsors are allowed here. And it's much faster and cheaper...really, OP, you should be looking at this instead. Doing a K-1 is a waste of time and money for you.

In either case, the OP needs US domicile or to show sufficient intent to establish US domicile.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
9 hours ago, Mrsjackson said:

Chat logs are not a requirement. The only requirement is pictures and how many you submit is up to you, however I personally think 50 might be overkill when you just need to prove you have met at least once during the last two years before filing. I included 7 pictures all taken at different times of the year. I would recommend including pictures from early on in your relationship to now. Don't forget to provide the dates and location. 

Consider submitting anything related to you living together. Lease with both your names on it, bills, etc. 

I went on on YouTube and looked up "I-129F package assembly" and found that very helpful. I think the presentation is important and these tutorials will give you a good idea of what to do. 

This is incorrect. There is no requirement to submit pictures.

The requirement is to prove that you have physically been together in the same place within the last 2 years. Pictures are actually very weak proof. Things such as rental contracts, receipts, plane tickets, etc are much better evidence and pictures can help support those.

Pictures are recommended, but they only act as secondary supporting evidence to the other things that you provide.

Edited by EG&XY

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.