JulieinMD

denied entry to USA on a K1 visa

150 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 minute ago, Cruise77 said:

I don't see that as a problem at all.   Key word here is "intent."  A better answer would simply be I'm here to marry my Fiance(e).  And then if the CBP officer asks "What day do you plan to marry?"  Or "Do you have a date set?"    Then you could say "We tentatively plan to marry on (fill in date range here), we are still planning to make sure friends and family can attend."   Last thing you want to do is be ambivalent and give an indication that you may not marry. 

just say YES i am here to marry

then When/IF they ask "when is the date" say - we tentively plan to marry... 

i crossed the border ALOT (over 5,000 times) and i only answer the question given and look them in the eye and stay CALM. never yell. if they say wait here - wait.  not '####### why am i told to wait here' just ok. 

Timeline
Just now, Cruise77 said:

Isn't that what I just said.....:whistle:

YES;) 

I ment to quote the one you responded to - my bad!  you explained it well!  

Just to clarify since I would hate for this to happen to me, or anyone after waiting so long for a visa.

The plan is to  go and then travel back to the states with my fiance once his visa is approved. Hoping to be able to stay by him throughout the POE process as his english is not very good and he is nervous about that. Anyways, is it important to have an exact date? That is kinda difficult with the nature of waiting on a visa. Does it suffice to simply say next month or once we get settled? 

Thanks ahead!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Switzerland
Timeline
3 minutes ago, caliliving said:

YES;) 

I ment to quote the one you responded to - my bad!  you explained it well!  

All good, thanks for re-emphasizing. 

People should rehearse what they are going to say beforehand.  The Visa Journey is long and tiring.  On top of that It can be nerve racking to finally arrive and have an immigration officer asking questions.  Better to be prepared than not.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Ermin&Zijada said:

Just to clarify since I would hate for this to happen to me, or anyone after waiting so long for a visa.

The plan is to  go and then travel back to the states with my fiance once his visa is approved. Hoping to be able to stay by him throughout the POE process as his english is not very good and he is nervous about that. Anyways, is it important to have an exact date? That is kinda difficult with the nature of waiting on a visa. Does it suffice to simply say next month or once we get settled? 

Thanks ahead!

No, you don't have to have an exact date. But you can't indicate that you may not actually get married. It is perfectly fine to say that you are still planning the details but that you will get married within the 90 days. If you have an idea of what date range, you can say "We plan to marry sometime between X and Y, but we are still finalizing the details."

I highly doubt that you will be able to stay with him throughout the POE. Are you a USC? There is usually a line for USC and residents and then a totally separate line for everyone else.

Relationship:     First met 2015, Married since Oct 2016

Spoiler

2015 Apr - First met and started chatting online (he was in the US on a J-1 visa)

2015 Sep - J-1 visa expires (2 year home stay requirement)

2016 Feb - First trip to China (10 days): met friends and family, celebrated Spring Festival (Chinese New Year), lots of sightseeing (including seeing pandas), and lots of food

2016 Feb 06 - Purchase matching jade necklaces to mark engagement

2016 Jun/Jul - Second trip to China (10 days): lots more sightseeing, food, and time with friends/family

2016 Sep/Oct - Third trip to China (10 days) this time with my parents so that my parents could meet him and his mom, along with lots of sightseeing and food (i'm sure you've picked up on a trend by now :D)

2016 Oct - At the end of the time in China my parents, myself, and Xuan all traveled to Canada (7 days) so that we could get married, but unfortunately his mom couldn't come along with us.

2016 Oct 08 - Wedding day on top of Mount Washington on Vancouver Island, and it had just snowed the night before. (L)(L)

2017 Jan - Fourth trip to China (7 days), you guessed it: food, family, friends, spring festival, ...

The CR-1 Process:    NOA1 - PD 27 Dec 2016 (TSC)

Spoiler

2016 Dec 21 - Sent I-130 packet (along with G-1145 for e-notification) by USPS priority mail express (1-day), but missed the pick-up so it won't actually leave till the next day

2016 Dec 23 - Delivery confirmed by USPS

2017 Jan 03 - Payment drawn from bank account

2017 Jan 04 - Text and email confirming USCIS receipt of petition, assignment to Texas Service Center for processing and SRC case number

2017 Jan 09 - Received I-797c notice of action by mail (NOA1) with assigned priority date of 27 Dec 2016

2017 ??? ......... just waiting patiently for NOA2 (hopefully by April/May if they ever stop transferring cases from Nebraska)

Timeline
Just now, Cruise77 said:

All good, thanks for re-emphasizing. 

People should rehearse what they are going to say beforehand.  The Visa Journey is long and tiring.  On top of that It can be nerve racking to finally arrive and have an immigration officer asking questions.  Better to be prepared than not.  

i agree! i also think its a 'cultural' thing.  not everyone understands the questions given and could be interpreted differently by different countries.  if you have a language barrier that effects it as well.  however, some USC dont cross enough or understand how it works to prep the immigrant. 

people need to really understand what the visa means and that is the basis they are being entered on
B2 - visitor (not to work/find job/live)

k1 - to get married (not to date/figure things out)

F1 - go to school (not to visit, marry, see a bf/gf)

7 minutes ago, Ermin&Zijada said:

Thanks ahead!

You only have to get married within 90 days after your fiancé arrives in the US.

ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Ermin&Zijada said:

Thanks ahead!

you need to start a new thread:) 

4 minutes ago, EG&XY said:

No, you don't have to have an exact date. But you can't indicate that you may not actually get married. It is perfectly fine to say that you are still planning the details but that you will get married within the 90 days. If you have an idea of what date range, you can say "We plan to marry sometime between X and Y, but we are still finalizing the details."

I highly doubt that you will be able to stay with him throughout the POE. Are you a USC? There is usually a line for USC and residents and then a totally separate line for everyone else.

Yes, there is a line for US-citizens and a seperate one for non US-citizens. He honestly should get that managed by himself since he wants to live in the US so he should be able to understand the language and talk to someone in English.

Edited by Becci391
ROC Timeline

08/16/19: sent I-751 packet to USCIS Lockbox in Dallas

08/19/19: packet received by USCIS

08/21/19: received text message with case number ( Texas Service Center)

08/23/19: check got chashed

08/26/19: received extension letter in the mail

11/14/19: Biometrics appointment

04/28/20: case got transferred to my local field office in Atlanta

05/28/20: New Card Is Being Produced

05/29/20: New Card Got Approved

06/02/20: We Mailed Your New Card

06/03/20: The Post Office Picked Up Your New Card

06/04/20: Card Was Delivered To Me By The Post Office

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, JulieinMD said:

If he had said, "I really want to marry her but we haven't set a date yet", would that have changed what happened?

That's what I did. They asked what date we were going to get married and I answered honestly "We haven't set a date yet but it will definitely happen sometime within the next 6 weeks" and then he let me through. No issues.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
Just now, Scandi said:

That's what I did. They asked what date we were going to get married and I answered honestly "We haven't set a date yet but it will definitely happen sometime within the next 6 weeks" and then he let me through. No issues.

you are also from sweden! he is from tunisia, a super high fraud country.  like i said, you prob could have said what he said and be fine.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
3 minutes ago, caliliving said:

you are also from sweden! he is from tunisia, a super high fraud country.  like i said, you prob could have said what he said and be fine.  

If I had said i wasn't sure if we would get married they would've sent me back too. The reason the embassy issues you a K-1 is because of the intention to get married. If I don't intend to get married or I'm not sure I will get married, then the K-1 visa shouldn't have been issued in the first place. If it was then that means I lied to both USCIS and the embassy to get the visa, so yeah, if I after all that told the CBP the truth, I would definitely be sent back home.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline
51 minutes ago, Ermin&Zijada said:

Thanks ahead!

The best answer (if you don't know the exact date of wedding yet) would be: WE PLAN TO MARRY WITHIN 90 DAYS.

Or

We will have the court wedding within 90 days and then have a bigger wedding some time so we can have enough time to prepare.

That's EXACTLY what I said when I was interviewed in the immigration.

Then, they just reminded us about the 90 days period and we were released! (I traveled with my then fiance)

OP - if you are white, met online, 10+ years older, he proposed after about 9 weeks of chatting.  Any two qualifies too THEN

just thank your luck - fiance spoke what was on his mind.  Maybe he was to use visa as entry only or adjust and leave.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.