Penguin_ie

Trump's published Immigration policies MEGATHREAD

641 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
10 hours ago, Apfel said:

We filed in March and still haven't had an interview or even case update at all since April, though my husband did get his EAD/AP in 80 days. We are traveling out of the country in a couple of months on his AP and will let you all know how it goes. I'm not too worried because the language of the order says AP granted before the ban can be honored, but it is sad that his family cannot easily visit us.

Other AOS cases at my field office had interviews months ago and filed at the same time as us, but at our InfoPass appointment they told us Iranians are not going slower than others. Trying to be patient but it's hard. They never responded to our online case status inquiry from October 3 so our congressman's office is inquiring for us this week.

I hear ya. We filed last October and haven't had an update since January, but we have had 3 infopass appointments and our case is still stuck in the "background check" process or something like that at the National Benefits Center and hasn't even been transferred to the local office so we are super concerned. We also haven't received responses to Service Requests (one filed in August, another in November). He is traveling back to Iran in a couple of weeks, so we are just hoping he doesn't have an issue coming back. Though it looks alright, I'm printing out the executive order and making him bring it with him just in case :P

We are mostly concerned I guess because he just got a postdoc job offer that starts in January, but once he defends his dissertation in a couple of weeks, his F1 visa will no longer be valid? We contacted our congressman a while back but haven't had much luck there either. We will submit for EAD renewal while we wait but if for some reason the case gets rejected (due to executive order or something), we are pretty worried since H1-B visas are on hold...

AOS Timeline

Married: 08/26/2016

AOS Filed: 10/27/2016

AOS Case received: 10/31/2016

NOA Received: 11/16/2016

Biometrics Appointment: 12/08/2016

RFIE response received: 01/13/2017

EAD Card in production: 03/14/2017 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Ten more posts have been removed because of their off-topic or bickering nature, along with posts quoting.  This is everyone's last warning to stay on topic and to avoid inflammatory, noncontributory posts.

VJ Moderation

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

Not sure if this has already been shared so forgive me if it has. I found this announcement on the State Department website summarizing the ban that went in to effect. There is a question in the Frequently Asked Question section regarding cases currently in administrative processing when the ban takes effect. Interestingly, it doesn't say that the case will automatically be denied. But it also doesn't say it won't. 

"I recently had my immigrant visa interview at a U.S. embassy or consulate overseas, but my case is still being considered.  What will happen now?

If your visa application was refused under Section 221(g) pending updated supporting documents or administrative processing, you should proceed to submit your documentation.  After receiving any required missing documentation or completion of any administrative processing, the U.S. embassy or consulate where you were interviewed will contact you with more information."

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/important-announcement.html

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Kristi&Luigi said:

What is this about ending chain  migration and does it effect us? (K-1 visa filer)

Does not impact you at present.  It is more about ending the siblings categories, etc.

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Timeline

A post has been removed because it falls outside the published policies area.  The poster is welcome to repost the question in the "speculation" thread that's pinned in the General Immigration-Related Discussion forum.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/18/2017 at 3:16 PM, Kristi&Luigi said:

What is this about ending chain  migration and does it effect us? (K-1 visa filer)

Now that the current administration has tackled Healthcare and Taxes, immigration is coming up next. And looks like Trump is going to leverage DACA to remove chain migration and the Diversity Lottery.

In my personal opinion, I think the reform will happen. And in order the save the status of the 700,000 dreamers, the Dems are gonna have to give up something in return. The Dems are in no position to save both Dreamers AND keep the current system as is. It is going to be a tough battle for them.

Be prepared folks. Obviously, this may turn out to be a significant change in immigration. This may also affect the lives of many including those on this site. We know there are plenty here who are waiting to have an opportunity to petition their extended family.

Trump Dreamers DACA Deal

Trump to Dems: No DACA deal without the border wall

By LOUIS NELSON

12/29/2017 09:36 AM EST

Updated 12/29/2017 11:31 AM EST

Democrats seeking a deal to protect so-called Dreamers from deportation must be prepared to agree to a package that includes several White House priorities, including a border wall and reforms to the U.S. immigration system, President Donald Trump wrote on Twitter Friday morning.

“The Democrats have been told, and fully understand, that there can be no DACA without the desperately needed WALL at the Southern Border and an END to the horrible Chain Migration & ridiculous Lottery System of Immigration etc. We must protect our Country at all cost!” Trump tweeted.

Democrats have said they will not sign on to a bill next month to keep the government funded without a deal to protect Dreamers, undocumented immigrants who were brought to the U.S. as children and in many cases have no relationship to their country of birth.

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and her Senate counterpart, Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), are set to meet next Wednesday with House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) and Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) at the White House, where the congressional leaders are expected to work on a DACA deal as part of negotiations to avert a government shutdown.

Pelosi spokesman Drew Hammill said in a statement that “We're not going to negotiate through the press and look forward to a serious negotiation at Wednesday’s meeting when we come back.”

Dreamers had been protected from deportation under the Obama administration by a program called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, which Trump rescinded, with a six-month delay, earlier this year. Trump said publicly that he hoped Congress would use the six months to codify protections for Dreamers into law, promising that “if they can't, I will revisit this issue!”

Last September, Trump nearly struck a deal with Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) and Sen. Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.) to protect Dreamers that included beefed-up border security but not funding for the wall, which the president had promised his supporters. But that agreement quickly fell through though, with the White House insisting on getting more from Democrats in exchange for a DACA deal.

Reforming the nation’s immigration system has been a priority of Trump’s that dates to the earliest days of his presidential campaign, when he made curtailing illegal immigration across the U.S.-Mexico border a bedrock principle of his candidacy. During the GOP primary, he pledged to deport every single undocumented immigrant from the U.S., a position he drifted away from during the general election.

Trump has mostly stuck to his hard line on immigration as president, calling specifically for an end to the practice of chain migration, by which one immigrant can sponsor family members to come to the U.S., and the Diversity Visa Lottery, a program that awards visas to screened individuals from nations with lower levels of immigration into the U.S.

The president has been critical of the Diversity Visa Lottery program since a 29-year-old immigrant from Uzbekistan who arrived in the U.S. via the program killed eight people in October by driving a truck along a crowded bike path in New York City.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

More anti-immigrant policy from this administration, Surprise... Not!

Edited by Keith & Arileidi

Filed: Other Timeline

President Trump is not anti-immigrants. After all, his current wife is an immigrant and so is one of his ex-wives. He won the elections primarily based on his promise to get a hold of ILLEGAL immigration and immigration abuses. DACA is part of illegal immigration and the H1-B visa abuse is part of legal immigration abuse.

Like it or not, President Trump promised "the wall" and it is destined to become part of his legacy. In order to pull this off, he offers the Democrats  800,000 get-out-of-jail cards free, to be distributed to the DACA recipients. If the Democrats do not play along, the USCIS will use the list and ICE will visit the parents of the DREAMERs, invite them to a drive, and process them for expedited deportation. That will not sit well with the voter base, so my educated guess is that the Democrats will agree to work with the Republicans on a compromise.

Every legal immigrant should have no problem with getting control of illegal immigration and abuse of the legal immigration system. We can by sympathetic to DREAMERs, and most people are, but on the same token we need to understand that no country can tolerate having many millions of illegal aliens living within its borders.

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism. When I refer to hyphenated Americans, I do not refer to naturalized Americans. Some of the very best Americans I have ever known were naturalized Americans, Americans born abroad. But a hyphenated American is not an American at all . . . . The one absolutely certain way of bringing this nation to ruin, of preventing all possibility of its continuing to be a nation at all, would be to permit it to become a tangle of squabbling nationalities, an intricate knot of German-Americans, Irish-Americans, English-Americans, French-Americans, Scandinavian-Americans or Italian-Americans, each preserving its separate nationality, each at heart feeling more sympathy with Europeans of that nationality, than with the other citizens of the American Republic . . . . There is no such thing as a hyphenated American who is a good American. The only man who is a good American is the man who is an American and nothing else.

President Teddy Roosevelt on Columbus Day 1915

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline
On 1/3/2018 at 5:30 PM, Brother Hesekiel said:

President Trump is not anti-immigrants. After all, his current wife is an immigrant and so is one of his ex-wives. He won the elections primarily based on his promise to get a hold of ILLEGAL immigration and immigration abuses. DACA is part of illegal immigration and the H1-B visa abuse is part of legal immigration abuse.

Like it or not, President Trump promised "the wall" and it is destined to become part of his legacy. In order to pull this off, he offers the Democrats  800,000 get-out-of-jail cards free, to be distributed to the DACA recipients. If the Democrats do not play along, the USCIS will use the list and ICE will visit the parents of the DREAMERs, invite them to a drive, and process them for expedited deportation. That will not sit well with the voter base, so my educated guess is that the Democrats will agree to work with the Republicans on a compromise.

Every legal immigrant should have no problem with getting control of illegal immigration and abuse of the legal immigration system. We can by sympathetic to DREAMERs, and most people are, but on the same token we need to understand that no country can tolerate having many millions of illegal aliens living within its borders.

I don’t believe that this is true.  DACA forms state that the information cannot be used against them.  Uscis and the government would likely lose a huge lawsuit if they chose to do this.

Timeline

A speculative post has been removed.

• 3 weeks later...

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Hypnos said:

As per the article, it seems they were acting as normal, not that I agree with the ethics of it:

Federal regulations give Customs and Border Protection wide-ranging authority to operate within 100 miles of any U.S. border. About two-thirds of the United States population live within 100 miles of a U.S. land or coastal border. The entire state of Florida is within such a zone.

Within these boundaries, Border Patrol can, without a warrant, interrogate or arrest any person that they have reason to believe is in the country illegally and is likely to escape before an arrest warrant can be obtained.

But according to Sousa-Rodriguez, such Border Patrol inspections on buses are not uncommon — or new.

“Greyhound has kind of become notorious over the years for allowing immigration agents onto buses,” Sousa-Rodriguez said in an interview with The Post. What made this instance notable was the fact that it was captured on video.

Edited by N-o-l-a

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Something interesting to note: That 100 mile rule was written by the DoJ themselves--not Congress. And it was written in 1953, when there was roughly a twentieth of the number of BP agents there are now.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

i keep hearing immigration bill on the news .. what is it exactly about ?

DACA, border wall, chain migration ???

any details to what republicans and democrats want ?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.