Penguin_ie

Trump's published Immigration policies MEGATHREAD

641 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

The above query can be posed in the "SPECULATION" megathread, pinned in the General Immigration Discussion forum.

The 100-mile radius along the (especially southern) U.S. border is referred to as the "De-Constitutionalized Zone."  Parts of it are not fun, even for U.S. citizens.  Unless things have changed, do everything in your power to avoid the inland CBP station south of Alpine, Texas.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

I applied for my in laws (i-130)

long story short I have about 2 and a half year left of their ban.

we applied anyways hoping it would get approved although unlikely or due to the fact the process takes some time.

with that being said trump is trying to reach a deal with dems regarding DACA and family based immigration is reportedly being threatened. I have 2 questions.

1: I have read in the past I can pause the application proceee but I don’t remember how long I could do this for and when to do that?

2: Do you think this will pass through the house and senate?

I’m torn in between. This country needs tougher immigration laws but I don’t find it fair for my wife not to have her parents ever here... If this law passes and our petition is denied due to the ban we will not

be able to reapply in time.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, SkolVikes said:

we applied anyways hoping it would get approved although unlikely or due to the fact the process takes some time.

with that being said trump is trying to reach a deal with dems regarding DACA and family based immigration is reportedly being threatened. I have 2 questions.

1: I have read in the past I can pause the application proceee but I don’t remember how long I could do this for and when to do that?

I’m torn in between. This country needs tougher immigration laws but I don’t find it fair for my wife not to have her parents ever here... If this law passes and our petition is denied due to the ban we will not

Thanks!

What is the ban for?

your in laws we’re sponsored by your wife... correct?

waiting time for i130 approval is around 8 months for IR. So it might get denied. I’m not familiar with pausing

There is no telling what will happen. It’s possible parents survive the reform and it’s just the extended relatives (siblings and adult children) who get the ax

write to your senators and house rep to fight for keeping parents in IR category

Edited by falmaind

Yes sponsored by my wife.

10 year bar for overstaying, nothing else, clear record while in the USA 

i was doing some digging and dems are highly against passing a bill that prohibits family

based immigration. That would

mean there is no way to legally migrate to the USA and would require a complete over haul of the system which isn’t likely at this time. 

Edited by SkolVikes

6 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

Yes sponsored by my wife.

10 year bar for overstaying, nothing else, clear record while in the USA 

i was doing some digging and dems are highly against passing a bill that prohibits family

based immigration. That would

mean there is no way to legally migrate to the USA and would require a complete over haul of the system which isn’t likely at this time. 

I think you are wrong there. Work based visas stay under republican plan. That’s legal migration. 

My personal opinion is that sibling and married children sponsorship should end and be replaced by merit based point system as employed by Canada.

Edited by falmaind

Work visas are nearly impossible to get.. you need to be the cream of the crop most of the time.. engineer, doctor, etc 

im not to familiar with Canada’s immigration   but  I do know if you have a relative in Canada it’s a pathway to move there.

Dems should get DACA, trump gets funding for wall and eliminate visa lottery. I think that would be fair.

thanks for your input. I wish this was solved sooner rather than later or dragged out even longer.. 

19 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

Work visas are nearly impossible to get.. you need to be the cream of the crop most of the time.. engineer, doctor, etc 

im not to familiar with Canada’s immigration   but  I do know if you have a relative in Canada it’s a pathway to move there.

Dems should get DACA, trump gets funding for wall and eliminate visa lottery. I think that would be fair.

thanks for your input. I wish this was solved sooner rather than later or dragged out even longer.. 

Thats what republicans want and it is legal migration.. Currently when family members are sponsored in many cases they end up taxing the welfare system. I know more than few examples personally. Thats why I am against open for all sibling/married children sponsorship. These people should be vetted for whether they have the education/skills to survive on their own. Basically award points for skills/education and have a minimum threshold of points before awarding immigrant visa

22 minutes ago, SkolVikes said:

I successfully got my H1B, but I’m not in the STEM field. It’s competitive (and requires some luck) to get a work visa, but saying it’s nearly impossible is a bit of a stretch. 

Filed: Other Timeline
2 hours ago, SkolVikes said:

Thanks!

You are free to move to their country.  Why should her parents be treated differently from all others?  The fact they have a ban indicates that some time in their past they violated US immigration law. They do not get any sympathy.

2 hours ago, MiraW said:

I successfully got my H1B, but I’m not in the STEM field. It’s competitive (and requires some luck) to get a work visa, but saying it’s nearly impossible is a bit of a stretch. 

Well as you said it requires some luck... feel free to shed some light on how you accomplished it. Most small companies won’t hire an attorney and larger companies require advanced degrees.

Edited by SkolVikes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

A post with an assaultive first paragraph has been removed.

The author is welcome to repost the second paragraph.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

8 hours ago, SkolVikes said:

Well as you said it requires some luck... feel free to shed some light on how you accomplished it. Most small companies won’t hire an attorney and larger companies require advanced degrees.

I have a master's degree from a top 30 university here, but my field isn't STEM. 

The part where luck is involved is that we have too many applicants and not enough work visas, so it has become sort of like a lottery process. With a master degree in Non-STEM field, it's about 70% chance you get selected. 

I personally went through this whole H1b journey, and I know how disheartening and tedious it can be. But, saying it's impossible is not correct. Most small companies would somehow pressure you to pay for your own attorney fees, it's not legal I think, but many people suck it up because they wanna stay. 

It also requires some luck to find a company that sees your value and is willing to sponsor you, the whole sending out resumes and not hearing back can be demoralizing. In the end, I landed a job in my field (education but not teaching).

That’s amazing to hear and I’m glad it worked out for you. My brother in law is interested in ways to immigrate back but he doesn’t have a degree. He is looking into the minister route.. he went to a trade school and knows auto mechanics and is a supervisor in an automobile factory but hasn’t had much luck. I know Canada can be easier to immigrate to with a trade job but it seems it’s difficult here. Any tips? 

Thanks friend!

Edited by SkolVikes

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
On 1/27/2017 at 7:51 PM, Lazybones18 said:

he does what he wants...

Everybody seems to want to blame Trump for this disaster but it has been hanging around for 30 years and no one ever wanted to do something about it. That goes for Bush, Clinton, Obama, Carter, Reagan along with the senate and the house. If he didn't start taking some forceful action the problem would never be solved because as everyone knows the congress would rather just blame others than take any action and it is their actions which is needed.

I think what Trump is doing is brilliant. It is forcing congress to take some action. Obviously he is willing to allow the dreamers to remain and even become citzens in exchange for the wall and limiting some forms of immigration. It will be interesting to see if the democrats will vote for it or if they are all talk and no action. Personally i dont think the Democratic party, of which I am a member, really cares about the dreamers otherwise theyvwould have done something when they had full control. It is just a tool to complain about trump. i am sure the Dems are all sitting around trying to figure out a way out of this problem. They don't want the dreamers to legally stay under trumps administration for it will look like a victory for him.

filed 129 with vermont 4/19/06

first notice 5/3/06?

IMRA RFE 6/19/06

snail mail RFE 6/22/06

returned 6/22/06

email they recieved 6/26/06

second RFE email 7/11/06

recieved 7/22

returned 7/24

touched 7/25

APProved 10/02/06

NVC sent to Moscow 10/17/06

package from Embassy 11/17/06

interview 01/11/07

approved visa 01/11/07

arrived 02/7/07

married 04/13/07

filed AOS 05/13/07

biometrics 06/06/07

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I'm a Syrian citizen, I met my girlfriend online 1 year ago and we're doing great for now and planning to make a nice family, I mean we're drawing our future together.

within 2 months, we will choose a place and meet each other out of Syria.

The question is: will I be affected somehow by " trump's travel ban " so they're not gonna approve me " K-1 Visa " for the ban reason?

because I'm from a country which it has been listed as a banned country!

what I'm sure about is Donald Trump banned the Syrian Refugees only, it has nothing to do with me because I'm a fiancé I'm not a refugee.. and I mean I haven't requested for asylum right of all kinds never ever!

Please, give me some useful tips on how I can make this come true.

Thank you all for imvolving.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.