Filed: Timeline

She should visit him (take leave of absence) live with him 6-8 wks

return here and file K1 if thats what her heart says. One should

never lie to CBP especially traveling with excess clothing, text

in their phones and papers on their person that can show positive

proof they are lying

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Actually it's way easier than that to get a work permit in Germany. The Internet and what people say makes it sounded really difficult especially considering that it says that the employer will have to prove that this person has special skills etc. I have two U.S. friends who obtained a work visa for Germany just by having a letter from the employer stating that they offered them a job. That's it. Just a short letter that the person will get a job if he receives a work visa. One of them was offered this job at a German bakery...

Seriously?! That's amazing. I tried insanely hard to stay in Austria (where my sister is) and after my au pair visa was up, I had to leave. :blink: If it's that easy to get a work visa in Germany, then that's really amazing and great for any VJers who need to stay there extendedly for any reasons.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

6 months on a love vacay is not the same as living and working together for the rest of your life.

This. My wife and I managed to live together for 3 months and eventually proceeded onward with marriage and immigration. That 3 months meant just about zilch. Once she came to the US as my wife, it was like starting all over again. There's very little or nothing that we thought we learned in those 3 months that applied to our marriage.

Marriage: 2014-02-23 - Colombia    ROC interview/completed: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
CR1 started : 2014-06-06           N400 started: 2018-04-24
CR1 completed/POE : 2015-07-13     N400 interview: 2018-08-16 - Albuquerque
ROC started : 2017-04-14 CSC     Oath ceremony: 2018-09-24 – Santa Fe

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Aw man, I feel so bad for your brother... How long have they been dating?

It'll be alright but the visiting part will be more on her side for the time being.

Here's what's up, if you survive a long distance relationship for a while, odds are slim that you won't survive living together. There is no way to prepare you anyway. 6 months on a love vacay is not the same as living and working together for the rest of your life. So if they're really in love, they'll find their way and just go with the K1 visa when they're ready.

Why do you feel bad for someone who lied to CBP in order to gain entry into our country? I don't. We have immigration laws for a reason and as far as I'm concerned anyone who lies to CBP, USCIS, or the consulate should be permanently banned. Our immigration laws are far too lenient. Tell me in what other country in the world would you be allowed a second chance after blatantly lying to their government? Answer: none!

Filed: Timeline

Why do you feel bad for someone who lied to CBP in order to gain entry into our country? I don't. We have immigration laws for a reason and as far as I'm concerned anyone who lies to CBP, USCIS, or the consulate should be permanently banned. Our immigration laws are far too lenient. Tell me in what other country in the world would you be allowed a second chance after blatantly lying to their government? Answer: none!

Agree. Entirely.

Seriously?! That's amazing. I tried insanely hard to stay in Austria (where my sister is) and after my au pair visa was up, I had to leave. :blink: If it's that easy to get a work visa in Germany, then that's really amazing and great for any VJers who need to stay there extendedly for any reasons.

I didn't know about that either until my two friends applied for it and got it. Before me and my fiancé started to do the K1 we were looking into a work visa for him for Germany and we were soooo discouraged by what we read so we did the K1 instead. Then all of a sudden a friend of mine contacts me whether I know a restaurant that might be looking for a cook and next thing, he finds a bakery who gives him a job. A freakin bakery got him that visa... Literally all he had to show was a financial back-up and an "employment letter". When I asked him about it he confirmed that technically he doesn't even have the job yet because all it says is that they offer him a job if he gets to come to Germany. But I assume that now he had to send the foreign office his work contract with the bakery that they really gave him a job. He also had a work visa before in Denmark and he said that compared to the hassle he had to go through back then to get that visa, the process to get the one for Germany was a joke.

So im hoping this is the right place I haven't been on VJ since my wife got her GC in 2011, but this site helped then and im hoping it will help now. So the deal is my brother in law seems to have fallen hard for a girl in the states (hes German) and he was enrolled in school here and they started dating. The school thing didn't work out for him so he went home. about 6 weeks ago i think he came over to the states to talk to her about the future and they decided that they wanted to live together before applying for a k1. Which after going through that process myself its a smart idea.

So he had a 6 month tourist visa and he was going come and hang out with her to see if they could even live together, today he got denied entry upon arrival in Chicago and during their interrogation they found out he misled them because he didn't say he was coming to stay with his girlfriend (because they would of denied him for that) so he said he was visiting a friend. but then they found paper work in his luggage about the k1 and other documents that may lead a investigator to believe that his intent was to stay in the states, which it wasn't he was just trying to be prepared for his GF.

So now he's on his way home and Im trying to figure out what his options are. is there a wavier or an appeals process to help him out.

He was probably too honest about his intentions and the CBP did not like it.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

He was probably too honest about his intentions and the CBP did not like it.

Nope you can't be too honest! You can lie and then you'll get trouble.

When he say friend and they look in his bag and find papers and so on for K-1 they deff. know it's not a "Friend".

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline

You said "they wanted to live together before applying for a k1. Which after going through that process myself its a smart idea", man it wasn't a smart idea, it was a stupid idea. People can't just come to the USA using a tourist visa with intention to live with the girlfriend. We have Laws here. You can see now the consequences of his stupid idea.

He might get a misrepresentation because there are consequences for lying at the border port of entry. If the the CBP allowed him to withdraw his app for admission then he is fine, but if he was denied entry and physically removed from a U.S.Port of Entry (expedited removal) based on the (6)© ground of inadmissibility then he has to apply for a waiver to overcome the ban if he decides to apply for CR1 or K1 visa.

The Section 212 (a)(6)© states:

(i) In general.-Any alien who, by fraud or willfully misrepresenting a material fact, seeks to procure (or has sought to procure or has procured) a visa, other documentation, or admission into the United States or other benefit provided under this Act is inadmissible.

Edited by sandranj

I disagree that there is no difference between friend and girlfriend. Staying with a friend would be less likely to result in an overstay and/or sudden change of mind leading to marriage and AOS. That's what the CBP officer was concerned about.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

If your boyfriend/girlfriend isn't also your friend then you have other issues.

When I most recently entered (on a B-2) I said I was here to visit a friend, which was true.

The officer said "Girlfriend?", to which I answered "Yes". And that was that.

Two cardinal rules when dealing with such situations:

(i) Never volunteer un-asked-for information.

(ii) Never lie.

Edited by Hypnos

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Nope you can't be too honest! You can lie and then you'll get trouble.

When he say friend and they look in his bag and find papers and so on for K-1 they deff. know it's not a "Friend".

that is what my point was.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.