raygellenbeck

Multiple wives - what is the policy?

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

So, in the case where a family is legally married in another country, and one of the members is a US citizen, and that family consists or more than one wife, and the marriage to each is legally recognized in the other country, what is the US immigration policy?

Are both/all the women eligible for spouse visa? Is their marriage recognized in the US?

I have heard in unreliable venues that while polygamy is not allowed in the US and a man cannot marry more than one woman here, Immigration has allowed muslim and other religious families that involve multiple wives to all immigrate and be recognized, but they keep it very low-key to avoid the issue being "front-and-center" in today's hyper-sensitive social media world.

Does anyone have a factual source on the matter to quote/provide one way or the other?

Edited by raygellenbeck

Filed: Timeline

There is no way america would let you bring more then one wife. I don't believe that.

I respect your opinion, and you presume it was for me, but my ask on the thread is for someone to provide some factual reference either way. I do know someone who is in that boat in Asia and might be repatriating to the US, hence the whole visa route.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Only the first wife is considered a spouse for immigration however all the children hold equal ground for immigration. So the way to reunite as family would be to come with first wife and children from all wives , as the children become 21 they can petition their missing parent. ( however you are prohibited from all living together as man and wives and only the first wife can claim benefits as your spouse such as medical and SS )

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

FIrst, the US citizen is committing a crime. Bigamy is illegal in the US. It's illegal for a US citizen to commit bigamy anywhere in the world.

Second, only the first wife qualifies for an immigration visa.

Third, BS on US Immigration allowing bigamists and polygamists to immigrate to the US. Pure BS.

Right on!!!

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.