Jjbarlow74

Wife arrived in the US 14 days ago. Now she is gone

55 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

i would report her missing to the local police in case she has issues at another residence just to protect myself

Umm, huh? She isn't missing. She left him. He agreed she should leave and even had his mother get a special pass to accompany the woman to the gate at the airport. He presumably bought her ticket.

Edited by Harmonia

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

What would you do in this situation if your wife were American, say from another state? You'd get divorced, right? That's the solution. Get divorced and move on. Don't go tracking her luggage and going after her in airports and getting your mom involved and getting yourself into trouble.

In any marriage, there's always 2 options. Stay married or divorce. I don't see how your marriage can recover. So option 2 it is.

She doesn't need to claim abuse to stay. She has her green card, even if it hasn't arrived. When she entered the US, she got a stamp and that serves as a green card. She can divorce you tomorrow and still remove conditions on her own. You should be happy to get divorced, sever ties, and move on from a clearly bad situation.

I agree 100%. This and the way you've treated her has made it super easy for her to claim sexual and domestic abuse.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

What would you do in this situation if your wife were American, say from another state? You'd get divorced, right? That's the solution. Get divorced and move on. Don't go tracking her luggage and going after her in airports and getting your mom involved and getting yourself into trouble.

In any marriage, there's always 2 options. Stay married or divorce. I don't see how your marriage can recover. So option 2 it is.

She doesn't need to claim abuse to stay. She has her green card, even if it hasn't arrived. When she entered the US, she got a stamp and that serves as a green card. She can divorce you tomorrow and still remove conditions on her own. You should be happy to get divorced, sever ties, and move on from a clearly bad situation.

It's hard for her to remove conditions on her own, she doesnt have any evidence of real marriage, she left the house after couple of weeks.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Get divorced. Communicate only through lawyers. Move on. I'm sorry this happened to you.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

I agree 100%. This and the way you've treated her has made it super easy for her to claim sexual and domestic abuse.

Absolutely! OP, you both agreed she should leave and end the relationship. Not only that, you had your mom go all the way to the gate to make sure she got on a plane. Then, you tracked her luggage and went back to the airport to see if she really got on a plane.

When you mutually agreed to end the relationship, that means she can go do whatever she wants. Its her decision to get on a plane, or not, or talk to her family friends, or not. You can't control what she does, where she goes, who she is with. You and your family following this woman around could absolutely be seen as controlling behavior. That's why the police told you to stay away from her. Divorce. Move on. Its not your concern what she does or doesn't do. Its not your concern if she tricked you, or how or if she will ROC, its over.

Was it fraud or not should be the last of your concerns. You wanted her gone, and she is gone. It sounds like the ideal outcome, the outcome you wanted so badly you had your mom make sure she left.

Edited by Harmonia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

Please do explain, unless I am missing something what exactly he wrote (maybe he edited it) that says anything about sexual or domestic abuse? Not exactly sure how it would be super easy for her to claim any form of abuse. Having an argument through a text (keep in mind we don't know what was said other than she was going home) does not meet the criteria for domestic abuse. People have arguments in relationships doesn't mean he abused her. If you are referring to him saying she never "initiated sex" of course women don't want to be nagged but most people want to be touched and intimate with their spouse. At least, I have always learned that was a normal way of exchanging a certain level of intimacy. Again, does not meet the criteria for sexual abuse. Now if he did other things like touching, saying things, or trying to force her to have sex with him that is abuse and saying things to her to make her uncomfortable is sexual harassment.

For a shy person, you are quick to share intimate details.

I would divorce her as soon as possible and move on, it seems you two never had the same goals.

haha, right on but come on. Also , OP, you have been duped and not sure what kind of advice are you looking for here.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I am wondering what to do now. Divorce or annulment? Do I contact ICE and USCIS about marriage fraud? I signed an affadavit of support but we only lived together for 2 weeks after she arrived. Will she get her permanent green card in 2 years or be deported? My Mother who knows her family in Vietnam heard that she is telling people I was making her have sex with her five times a day. which is not true. I have a job and work long hours so usually I just want to take a shower and go to bed when I get home. Which is why I am worried about her claiming sexual abuse and getting a permanent green card through the VAWA program. Can I withdraw the affadavit of support?

I am wondering what to do now. Divorce or annulment? Do I contact ICE and USCIS about marriage fraud? I signed an affadavit of support but we only lived together for 2 weeks after she arrived. Will she get her permanent green card in 2 years or be deported? My Mother who knows her family in Vietnam heard that she is telling people I was making her have sex with her five times a day. which is not true. I have a job and work long hours so usually I just want to take a shower and go to bed when I get home. Which is why I am worried about her claiming sexual abuse and getting a permanent green card through the VAWA program. Can I withdraw the affadavit of support?

1) You've been married 2 years. Talk to a family law attorney. You will not get an annulment. Get a divorce.

2) No.

3) No one knows if she will get her permanent green card. Not your problem once you divorce. She can apply to remove conditions (ROC) for permanent greencard without you.

4) VAWA is not for removal of conditions for a 10 year green card.

5) No.

The irony is she would have gotten a 10 year green card if she'd entered the country in May, once you'd been married 2 years, instead of April.

Edited by Harmonia

Divorce, you've been married for almost 2 years. There is no basis for annulment. You can contact ICE if you choose but unless you have actual evidence, beyond her not actually leaving the USA, which she doesn't have to do, how exactly are you going to prove she committed fraud?

She HAS a green card. There is nothing you can do about that. She can't claim VAWA like people are saying because she already HAS a green card. For her ROC, well let her deal with that and don't do anything else. She can CLAIM whatever she wants, but she has to prove it too. Stop talking to her except through lawyers. No you cannot withdraw the affidavit of support, she has a green card.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

haha, right on but come on. Also , OP, you have been duped and not sure what kind of advice are you looking for here.

He is mainly looking to vent and receive moral support because he was taken for a ride and that is a terrible feeling.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

There is really nothing you can do other than divorce and move on. In 2 years she will need to remove conditions(or sooner if the divorce becomes final before then with a divorce waiver), she will have a very difficult time removing conditions on her own seeing that you only lived together for a few weeks. If you opened any joint accounts-bank, credit cards, insurance, cell phone, rental agrements-remove her name. As NLR stated do not have any contact with her or her family unless it is through an attorney. Good luck!

Edited by mimolicious

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.