michellemakana

My boyfriend got denied tourist visa. Advice please

99 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi all,

My boyfriend who is Albanian got denied a B1/B2 visa under section 214(b) in Italy. He had an affidavit of support from my parents, and all the supporting documents including a letter from his boss at work, photos of his family, and proof that he and I would return to Italy with him. The person who interviewed him didn't even really look at his supporting documents, the only mistake I think we made was saying that he wanted to visit for 4 months. My questions is, would it be worth it to even try applying again and saying he wants to come for shorter period of time? Our only other option is beginning the K1 fiancé visa, although I wanted him to visit the states before we did that. Any advice is appreciated!

Edited by michellemakana

K1 timeline:

3/14/16- I129F sent to Lockbox

3/17/16- NOA1

6/13/16- NOA2

6/17/16- Hard Copy NOA2 Received

He can apply as many times as he wants but they wont give him visa until he shows change. But what i think, they denied him because they think he would stay and marry you. Just thoughts....

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I don't think he was rejected because he said he wants to visit you (in US) for 4 months, the main reason behind rejection is that the CO didn't see that he will return back. The affidavit of support that your parents provided to him for his travel made the case worse since it proved that he didn't earn much and couldn't afford himself for travel and there is no reason why he would return back to Italy for work that he earns minimum. What sort of proof you provided that he and you would return back to Italy? Unless he provides a solid new evidence that he will return back, I think applying again with same documents is fruitless.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Timeline

He can apply as many times as he wants but they wont give him visa until he shows change. But what i think, they denied him because they think he would stay and marry you. Just thoughts....

Yea It's probably a lost cause to apply again... Oh well looks like K1 it is.

K1 timeline:

3/17/16- NOA1

6/13/16- NOA2

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

Hi all,

My boyfriend who is Albanian got denied a B1/B2 visa under section 214(b) in Italy. He had an affidavit of support from my parents, and all the supporting documents including a letter from his boss at work, photos of his family, and proof that he and I would return to Italy with him. The person who interviewed him didn't even really look at his supporting documents, the only mistake I think we made was saying that he wanted to visit for 4 months. My questions is, would it be worth it to even try applying again and saying he wants to come for shorter period of time? Our only other option is beginning the K1 fiancé visa, although I wanted him to visit the states before we did that. Any advice is appreciated!

Just for future reference, an Affidavit of Support holds no weight for B1/B2 visa's. The applicant must apply on their own means, and prove that they have enough money to support themselves for the entire trip.

This is directly from the website. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html

Note: Visa applicants must qualify on the basis of the applicant's residence and ties abroad, rather than assurances from U.S. family and friends. A letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support is not needed to apply for a nonimmigrant tourist visa. If you do choose to bring a letter of invitation or Affidavit of Support to your interview, please remember that it is not one of the factors that we use in determining whether to issue or deny a nonimmigrant tourist visa.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

His work will let him go on leave for 4 months? Is this an online job?

Timeline

I don't think he was rejected because he said he wants to visit you (in US) for 4 months, the main reason behind rejection is that the CO didn't see that he will return back. The affidavit of support that your parents provided to him for his travel made the case worse since it proved that he didn't earn much and couldn't afford himself for travel and there is no reason why he would return back to Italy for work that he earns minimum. What sort of proof you provided that he and you would return back to Italy? Unless he provides a solid new evidence that he will return back, I think applying again with same documents is fruitless.

You make a good point. I guess we weren't well prepared.

Just for future reference, an Affidavit of Support holds no weight for B1/B2 visa's. The applicant must apply on their own means, and prove that they have enough money to support themselves for the entire trip.

This is directly from the website. https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/visit/visitor.html

I guess I got the wrong information. Thanks for the info!

His work will let him go on leave for 4 months? Is this an online job?

He does construction for his Uncle and yea he would let him go.

K1 timeline:

3/17/16- NOA1

6/13/16- NOA2

Filed: Timeline

anyone who can casually leave his 'job' for 4 months does not have a strong economic reason to return, and his social reasons are fragile as well...there is no such thing as written 'proof' that a B2 applicant will depart the US at the appropriate time....you can supply I-134's by the car load, letters from bosses, the Pope or the local dog catcher and none of those are worth the paper they are written on. Support provided by you or your parents is just a stronger inventive for him to stay rather than return. What matters most is his credibility, which, being relatively young, not really involved in a job that is fully transportable to the US and from a country whose visa abuse rate is fairly high, all add up to a strong likelihood of a denial.

As for some 'proof' that the two of you would be returning to Italy together, well, what would that be that is legally enforceable? Mind changes happen all the time...usually about the time one's luggage is tumbling off of the carousel at the airport in the US.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

CO believes that your boyfriend might not return.

The fact that you are here is enough incentive for your boyfriend to stay.

No statements can overried that. Because what if you two change your mind and decide not to return to Italy?

That was what CO was thinking.

It is unlikely to go well should you try again.

But it doesn't hurt to try again

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

Timeline

Thank you for all the info everyone! It all makes a lot more sense now. Wish I knew this stuff beforehand.

Edited by michellemakana

K1 timeline:

3/17/16- NOA1

6/13/16- NOA2

Hi,

I can share my experience when I applied for my B2 visa.

I did all the paperwork online and paid the required fees and was scheduled for an interview at my consulate. When I was called to the window, the first question I was asked:

Are you permanently employed?

I answered Yes and I told the CO that I had a letter from my job indicating same. He looked at me and smiled and said:

I can tell that you have come fully prepared but I like to handle my interviews differently. I can't talk to the paperwork you show me and you would be better equipped at answering my questions rather than me reading a piece of paper. Also, I like to develop a dialogue with my interviewees; it makes the interview more interesting.

The next question he asked was: How long do you plan to stay in the US if you are approved? I told him that, based on my work commitments, I'd only be able to visit for 2wks at most...which was true.

Truth be told, the ONLY document he looked at was my bank statement showing my savings....THAT was it. After several questions about myself, my kids, my reason for not filing for them at that present time, etc. He looked at me and said:

Congrats, you are approved for a 10-yr visa! It's good for multiple entries and I'd like to give you this paper with rules on the visa..... (everything he said faded out after that! lol)

They are very particular on the person's ties to their country. If you show no ties, you will be denied. You can try the K1 route but do remember that there is a portion on the form to fill out that asks: HAVE YOU EVER BEEN DENIED A US VISA? Based on your boyfriend's answer, the US has ALL records of visa approval/denial history, so he must be honest.

Best of luck in which ever route you guys choose!

IR-1/CR-1
Spoiler

GOT MARRIED: 3-APR-2015 :wub:

HUSBAND FILED I-130: 29-MAY-2015

VISAS APPROVED: 15-JUN-2016

VISAS IN HAND; GREEN CARD FEES PAID: 21-JUN-2016

PORT OF ENTRY - FT. LAUDERDALE INTL AIRPORT: 06-AUG-2016
CONDITIONAL GREEN CARDS RECEIVED: 23-SEP-2016

I-751 FILER   
Spoiler
FILED REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS: 25-JUN-2018
FILE SENT TO NEBRASKA SERVICE CENTER 11-MAY-2019
10-YR GREEN CARDS APPROVED 17-JUN-2019 
10-YR GREEN CARDS RECEIVED 21-JUN-2019 :dance: 

N-400 FILER
Spoiler
FILED CITIZENSHIP ONLINE; RECEIVED NOA1: 8-DEC-2019
BIOMETRICS WALK-IN: 18-DEC-2019
INTERVIEW SCHEDULED: 26-OCT-2020
APPROVED/SAME DAY OATH CEREMONY: 26-OCT-2020

US PASSPORT
APPLICATION APPOINTMENT AT USPS (ROUTINE): 16-SEP-2021
PASSPORT APPROVED: 30-SEP-2021
PASSPORT RECEIVED: 5-OCT-2021

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.