TamB

Waiver for not meeting. What is required?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline

The reasons shown in USCIS information are hardship and religious/cultural restrictions. I am beginning to prepare the I-129F.

I, as a single woman, would have extreme difficulty traveling to and visiting my fiancé in a Muslim theocracy. We wouldn't be allowed to spend time together alone. We will have a traditional Muslim marriage, delaying that time until after the wedding. Plus, I have been unemployed for several months.

We keep saying "Insha'Allah" (God willing), but we must deal with USCIS too. Any advice? Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Or, meet in a third country.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

NO, you probably wouldn't be able to spend time alone, but why can't you travel and see your fiancé with a chaperone? I believe that is OK under Muslim traditional marriage rules correct?

It is VERY difficult to get a waiver for not meeting.

good luck

Or, even, if it's difficult to travel, then your USC fiancé should travel to meet you with a chaperone present.

The requirements do not say you must meet alone, only that you both have met each other face to face, even if that was in a crowded station with a thousand other people!

The meeting also does not have to take place in the USA.

You should have passport stamps to show the travel for either one of you, with boarding passes, and take some photos of your meeting showing you both in them.

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

It is difficult for a single woman to travel to Saudi Arabia, but what about meeting in the UAE or some such place?

3/2/18  E-filed N-400 under 5 year rule

3/26/18 Biometrics

7/2019-12/2019 (Yes, 16- 21 months) Estimated time to interview MSP office.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

There is no restrictions on a female and male muslim meeting before marriage , thousands on this website have done it. If you can't afford the trip you probably can't afford the costs of immigration either. This is not a cheap path to take you can travel to any country in the world and meet, even if only for tea and fullfill the meeting requirement. Doing less and you are vary apt to waste months of your lives and throw away money on a denied petition

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

USCIS is very strict about the basic requirements.

1. The Petitioner is a US Citizen
  2. The Petitioner and beneficiary intend to marry within 90 days of the beneficiary entering the US
  3. Both the Petitioner and beneficiary are free and able to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
  4. You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition.

Getting a waiver is nearly impossible.

If possible meet somewhere affordable and accessible as was suggested at a neutral location, with a chaperone.

Or have the foreign beneficiary take a short trip to the US (you can check for flight bargain deals), if your fiance or family can help pay for the trip, that will make a difference.

Good Luck. :)

~ Don't forget to 'Vote Up' useful advice from others ~

K1 Visa Journey [April 11, 2013 - August 31, 2014]
[2014-09-20] !!! WEDDING !!!
[2014-09-22] Applied for SSN
[2014-09-26] Marriage License in Snail Mail
[2014-10-22] Notification of SSC in mail, will arrive "within 2 weeks"
[2014-10-27] SSC Arrived!

2015-04-30] Mailed AOS Package!
[2015-06-16] EAD Approved!
[2015-06-16] AP Approved!
[2015-06-23] EAD/AP Card Received!

[2015-10-02] AOS Approved (No Interview)!

[2015-10-07] Greencard Mailed

[2015-10-09] Approval Notice Recieved

[2015-10-09] Greencard Recieved!

I used RapidVisa for my petition; a paperwork service. A K1 is $375.00 to use their hassle-free online application system.

Useful Links:
Igor's List | Advanced Search Tool | Q&A With a Former USCIS Adjudicator
Visa Status Checker (Once you get a Case # from NVC) | Offical USCIS Reasons for a K1 Denial

The advice offered by this user is not legal advice. You should contact an attorney to obtain legal advice.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

There was no way I could have travelled to Iran as a single woman. My significant other could not obtain a tourist visa to the US. We met in Sweden where his sister lives. Why not pick a nice third country and meet there? One of you could bring a friend if you need a chaparone.

Timeline

OK. Thanks for all the input. We have discussed it and I must travel to meet him. In S.A. He assured me it is okay. I was the one with the doubts.

I have a new question. He wants to pay for my expenses, but it could be frowned upon like it is a scam. It is no scam. He can afford it better than me. If he wants to send me the funds, how do we do this without later problems?

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Italy
Timeline

No, he can pay for your trip... You are the USC and he is sending the money, not you sending it to someone in a foreign country (which is the usual scam route) plus I would think the cultural norm would be for the male to support the female and be the one sending money, not the other way around (although I admit i could be wrong since I am not Muslim ) but either way, that Should not be an issue.

10/14/2000 - Met Aboard a Cruise ship

06/14/2003 - Married Savona Italy

I-130

03/21/2009 - I-130 Mailed to Chicago lockbox

11-30-09: GOT GREEN CARD in mail!!!!!!

Citizenship Process;

1/11/2013: Mailed N400 to Dallas Texas

3/11/2013: interview.. Approved

4/4/2013. : Oath! Now a U.S. citizen!

Timeline

OK. I would not want it to seem as if he were paying me to get him here. Yes, that is the norm in a Muslim marriage, for the husband to provide financially for the wife.

If anyone else has any insight on the financial aspects I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

It is difficult for a single woman to travel to Saudi Arabia, but what about meeting in the UAE or some such place?

It is not that difficult, my sister in law lives and works in Saudi Arabia. She is single and unmarried and she doesn't have any problems as long as she wears a hijab and abaya in public. She goes to cafes, the mall, all over the place with no male chaperone.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

OK. I would not want it to seem as if he were paying me to get him here. Yes, that is the norm in a Muslim marriage, for the husband to provide financially for the wife.

If anyone else has any insight on the financial aspects I would appreciate it as well.

Thanks!

It is the norm in Saudi Arabia, but not so much in the US. It isn't unheard of for married or single Muslim women to work in Saudi Arabia. My husband is Muslim and we both work an provide for the family here in the US. My husband also has friends here in the US from Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries who are married, and both the husband and wife work. His friends and their wives and family visit us at our home often. In the US it is a whole different ball game.

My husband has a married brother and a single sister who both live and work in Saudi Arabia. My single sister in law is a nurse, she lives and works on her own.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.