Kloe36

K1 Visa, got married but marriage failed before AOS

30 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I hope someone can bring some positive news about this. I am dating a man who came to the US from Germany with a K1 Visa. He married his fiance within the allotted time frame; but his marriage soon began to fall apart. For whatever reason he never applied for his AOS. He and his wife are not on speaking terms. From what I gather she has some emotional and mental issues that caused the marriage to fail and is just mean to him now. They are still legally married but he has been here for over 4 yrs without applying for AOS. He has a SS#, DL, files income taxes, running his own small business, he has no debt because he never applied for credit. He has never had any legal issues. What course of action should he take now? Is there any way he can stay in the US without his wife petitioning for him? Thank you in advance.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

**Moved from K1 to Effects of Major Family Changes on Immigration Benefits; as the post is better suited for this other part of the forum.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Oh dear. He's basically in the country illegally, but doing everything that a USC or resident does - working, paying taxes, etc. Why didn't he still AOS 4 years ago? I believe he's still able to, even if he divorces his wife. He should research VAWA....maybe it's applicable? Not sure about now though...

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

He cannot apply for AOS on his own. And he has to file for AOS within required time after the entry of K1 visa. When he applies for his AOS within 90 das (should be 90 days but not so sure)after K1 entry, he has to get his wife (the petitioner) to sign the forms along the application. Obviously it's too late to discuss those issues now.

Okay. I thought he could have back then if his situation qualified under VAWA. I do agree that he'll need an attorney at this point in time.

This is a very complicated situation.

K1
VSC NOA1 --- March 8, 2012
NOA2 --- October 11, 2012
Visa Approved --- December 17, 2012
POE --- December 22, 2012

AOS
AOS/EAD/AP NOA1 --- March 4, 2013
Biometrics --- April 3, 2013

EAD/AP received --- May 16, 2013

AOS Interview --- August 9, 2013

GC in production --- August 9, 2013

GC received --- August 17, 2013

N400

Approved May, 2018

Oath May, 2018

I130 - Nebraska SC

NOA1 - August 30, 2018

Case approved - August 28, 2019

NVC -

Interview -

I am the USC who brought my fiancé here on a K1,  who's now a USC and is now filing for his mother - whose case just got approved :)

To add to over staying his visa for 4 years, he is working in the USA without adjusting status and having a valid work permit, so he is violating another law. I wouldn't even bother with advice from this forum. This guy is well beyond any self help that can be done here. He needs an immigration lawyer and a damn good one. As to his wife having "some emotional and mental issues", I doubt there are many divorced men that don't feel the same about their ex. Probably most divorced women feel the same about their ex's to. BTW having a drivers license, SS number, and paying your taxes does not mean he's working in this country legally. The IRS will take your tax money if you're legal or not. Failure to pay them just adds more trouble to your list. It might be much better for him if USCIS never finds out he's running a business and working without legal authorization to do so.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

AOS is not same as Removing the Condition.

AOS has to be filled by the spouse... if the marriage failed before the AOS he is required to leave the country and return back.

It is surprising he has valid lic and SSN without AOS...does not add up... but could be his state issued the DL but SSN without AOS is not possible.

There are somethings that just does not add up, he needs a lawyer as mentioned earlier.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions. I wish I had an answer as to why he did not do the AOS when he should have but I don't. The reason I stated he had his DL, SS#, etc was just trying to show some good faith on his part. I know what most of you are thinking and yes you are correct...the AOS should have been his priority. I did not know him 4 yrs ago and am kind of on the outside looking in with all of this. He did go to an attorney for advice and he pretty much confirmed what all of you are saying. Its just a tough pill to swallow so I was trying to do research on my end. It is hard to believe that it is that black and white. Although he is breaking the law with the AOS, he apparently thought it was just a formality and doesn't want to be here illegally so I am not sure what he is going to do. Again, thank you for your time.

Filed: Timeline

AOS is not same as Removing the Condition.

AOS has to be filled by the spouse... if the marriage failed before the AOS he is required to leave the country and return back.

It is surprising he has valid lic and SSN without AOS...does not add up... but could be his state issued the DL but SSN without AOS is not possible.

There are somethings that just does not add up, he needs a lawyer as mentioned earlier.

This is not true. K1 visa holders can get SS numbers.

The problem with the OPs boyfriends situation (which there are many) but the main problem would be his lack of work authorization documents (EAD).

The post above is correct, when someone comes on a K1 the only requirement is that they marry in 90 days. They can file for AOS whenever they want, but when the K1 expires until they do they are with out status. They can obtain a SS number and in some states even a DL, but to work legally they need an EAD card and to get one you need to file for AOS.

Since he did not do so, he has been working illegally and really needs to stop before he is caught and prosecuted. If he has been working illegally by claiming to be a citizen- hes pretty much done when it comes to immigration matters if caught.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

To be fair he is hardly alone in thinking such things are a formality.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

I agree a real top notch immigration attorney is the call.

In Arizona its hot hot hot.

http://www.uscis.gov/dateCalculator.html

If he can save the marriage, then they can file AOS right now along with an I-130. He cannot adjust status through anyone but through her because he came on a K1 petition. If he leaves the country, he will have a 10 year ban on him for the overstay, that is, if USCIS won't deport him first.

Naturalization

9/9: Mailed N-400 package off

9/11: Arrived at Dallas, TX

9/17: NOA

9/19: Check cashed

9/23: Received NOA

10/7: Text from USCIS on status update: Biometrics in the mail

10/9: Received Biometrics letter

10/29: Biometrics

10/31: In-line

2/16: Text from USCIS that Baltimore has scheduled an interview...finally!!

2/24: Interview letter received

3/24: Naturalization interview

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

To add simple correction, the SS# that issued without the EAD card is marked “Valid For Work Only with DHS Authorization” which is the EAD. And I agree that the petitioner spouse does not have to sign the AOS petition, it is only to submit and sign I-864 Affidavit of Support with income over the poverty limit. So working with marked SS# as stated in the first line is illegal.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.