arorapkj

Visitor visa rejection for my in-laws?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hi,

I am here in the US on EAD (Employment based) and my wife came to US on F1 (student) visa and is now on OPT. I have 2 year old daughter. My Wife has signed a contract with US Army and is joining the training from April 2016. She will be US citizen after her training in August. We really need my in-laws to come here to take care of my daughter and I cannot wait until my wife becomes US citizen.

My in-laws visitor visa was rejected 2 times. First it was rejected when my wife had graduation ceremony after completing her Associate degree in nursing but they were denied the visa. I guess the reason could be because my father in law could not explain the purpose of visit since he is not well-educated and is a plumber by profession and does not earn much.

Second time it was rejected when it was my uncle's daughter marriage. Visa officer did not give the reason for rejection. I guess its because the rejection from last time.

Now, I am concerned if we should apply for the visa again or not. Here are my main concerns.

- Should I apply only for my mother-in law?

- Should we show that they are coming here to take care of the baby? Lot of people say we should not mention this but this is genuine case where the baby needs someone from the family?

- I guess most of you will agree that my in-laws/motherin-law should show the army contract.

- I heard that if the interviewee works for an NGO that helps during the interview. How true is this?

Thanks,

PJ

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Mentioning the purpose of visit as "Taking care of a baby" will more likely lead to a rejection as that is considered a Nanny job. You can say like to see the daughter and granddaughter that they haven't seen for years. However the approval depends on how they present their evidence of ties to their country.

Usually chances of getting visa for attending graduation ceremony is higher than for just seeing the family members (as the CO will assume the family members can go back to see their parents). If they plan to present the similar evidence they submitted on previous application, getting the visa is definitely difficult.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

what country are they from ?

For any tourist visa, they must be able to show strong ties to that country, with reasons to return.

Sometimes my language usage seems confusing - please feel free to 'read it twice', just in case !
Ya know, you can find the answer to your question with the advanced search tool, when using a PC? Ditch the handphone, come back later on a PC, and try again.

-=-=-=-=-=R E A D ! ! !=-=-=-=-=-

Whoa Nelly ! Want NVC Info? see http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

Congratulations on your approval ! We All Applaud your accomplishment with Most Wonderful Kissies !

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

It will probably be very difficult for them to get a visa

11/06: Husband EWI from Mexico
11/08: Started dating

11/11: Husband got deported
1/11/14: Got married
3/13/14-11/2/14:
I-130
1/26/15-3/17/15: NVC

5/28/15: INTERVIEW - denied

6/8/15: I-601/I-212 waivers received

11/17/15: I-601/I-212 waivers APPROVED

12/11/15: HUBBY HOME!! :dance:

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Sounds like they need a work visa, not a tourist visa.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

:lol:

Grandparents taking care of their grandbaby is NOT work

Try doing it and let me know.

Big plus for being a Grandparent is being able to hand then back.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

providing child care is WORK. And B2 visa holders are not allowed to work in the US...PERIOD. No exceptions.

If the grandparents don't get a visa, then the OP will have to PAY for child care, thus, babysitting is work. Relative or not, cash payments to the GPs or not, babysitting is work. If the in-laws tell the CO they are going to provide child care, their application will be denied before they can finish their sentence. For the disbelievers, please peruse the INA and find the exception for grandparents taking care of grandchildren.....good luck.

A strong CO will figure it out even if they don't tell them....

Q -'where does your son work? (answer)

Q- 'where does your daughter work? (answer)

Q - 'how old are your grandchildren? (answer)

End of interview.

When both parents work, someone has to take of the children....and trying the ever popular, 'oh, they have hired a nanny' is a joke....first, there is no proof of said nanny being hired; second, what is to stop the OP from firing the nanny the moment the airplane touches down?

Won't work.

Again, some disbelievers doubt what I have said, but all you have to do is find the exception in our laws.

I can tell you from my experience that I denied every B2 request that involved child care, answered unhappy phone calls from anyone and everyone, answered inquiries from congressmen/senators, whining phone calls from attorneys (who made up some bogus reason as to why the in-laws were traveling) and changed exactly ZERO decisions. And never a peep from the home office about these decisions.

I've seen thousands of reports from CPB when they have sent people home who have arrived to babysit with B2 visas.

Unfair? no. Work = work. If you think that babysitting is not work, good luck finding a teenager to care for your child on a Saturday night for free!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You think so. I resigned from my job to come live with my daughter and son in law to care for my 4 grandkids. Oh yes it's work. Even if money never exchanges hands. My needs were taken care of my bills were paid. It's work. I loved it. I adore my babies. But care all day and night at times while they worked and went to school. It's work dear.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

When applying for a visitors visa, it would be considered work following USCIS guidlelines. MIL's first attempt at a tourist visa was denied for this reason.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Hi,

I am here in the US on EAD (Employment based) and my wife came to US on F1 (student) visa and is now on OPT. I have 2 year old daughter. My Wife has signed a contract with US Army and is joining the training from April 2016. She will be US citizen after her training in August. We really need my in-laws to come here to take care of my daughter and I cannot wait until my wife becomes US citizen.

My in-laws visitor visa was rejected 2 times. First it was rejected when my wife had graduation ceremony after completing her Associate degree in nursing but they were denied the visa. I guess the reason could be because my father in law could not explain the purpose of visit since he is not well-educated and is a plumber by profession and does not earn much.

Second time it was rejected when it was my uncle's daughter marriage. Visa officer did not give the reason for rejection. I guess its because the rejection from last time.

Now, I am concerned if we should apply for the visa again or not. Here are my main concerns.

- Should I apply only for my mother-in law?

- Should we show that they are coming here to take care of the baby? Lot of people say we should not mention this but this is genuine case where the baby needs someone from the family?

- I guess most of you will agree that my in-laws/motherin-law should show the army contract.

- I heard that if the interviewee works for an NGO that helps during the interview. How true is this?

Thanks,

PJ

Never guess at the reason for denial. That will lead to wasted time and money and a lot of frustration. Correcting that reason is the only way to get approved.

Each application is judged on it's own merits. As long as your father in law is not otherwise inadmissible, he will not get denied because of the past denial, but more accurately, because he has not remedied the circumstances that caused that denial. I would think if he can not explain the purpose of the visit, it would be difficult to overcome the presumption of immigrant intent, but again that is just a guess. You have to know the reason.

QCjgyJZ.jpg

Timeline

The prior circumstances is that he wanted a visitor visa to work in the US, and still does.

How does he remedy that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.