Wisa

Is it advantageous to get married twice: Philippines and Online Utah Marriage

21 posts in this topic

My partner (27M American) and I (27F Filipina) are planning to get married in the Philippines this coming Nov. My mom has been scaring me with "what if's" like what if he doesn't come back to get me or does not push through with the petition. Would it be advantageous if we also get married through the Utah online marriage? 

Hi. Has he come to see you in the Philippines yet?

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Just now, Wisa said:

Yes he has and is planning to stay here for a month and process our marriage in person in the Philippines. 

Good. We are leaving today to head back to the Philippines. The process to travel there has gotten much easier. Mothers are going to worry. Rightfully so. The more time he spends with you there the better you will be able to determine if you can trust him to follow through with a petition for you. Good luck!

Not a newbie but lost my old info years ago) I have been through this process before --all the way through naturalization-- This site has always been a great help to me. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
44 minutes ago, Wisa said:

My partner (27M American) and I (27F Filipina) are planning to get married in the Philippines this coming Nov. My mom has been scaring me with "what if's" like what if he doesn't come back to get me or does not push through with the petition. Would it be advantageous if we also get married through the Utah online marriage? 

It would be fraudulent to marry twice.  In order to legally marry, you must first affirm in writing that you are free to marry. Once married, you are no longer free to marry, so you would be committing a crime.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Wisa said:

I don't think of it as a guarantee. More like would that stop him from marrying someone else in the US. Im overthinking a lot. 

The USA does not have a National registry of marriages like the PSA in the Philippines.  Fraud is fraud.  Forget about this idea.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

As others have said, you can not be married more than once. And if you are so concerned about him marrying someone else, the two of you may not be ready for marriage, which is based on trust and commitment.

4 hours ago, Wisa said:

Would it be advantageous if we also get married through the Utah online marriage? 

If you're wanting to give bigamy a try, yes. 

7 hours ago, Wisa said:

I don't think of it as a guarantee. More like would that stop him from marrying someone else in the US. Im overthinking a lot. 

Do not marry somebody if you don’t know or trust them enough, period. Maybe you 2 need to give this more time.

And to answer your question, once you marry, you are married. You cannot marry again, this marriage will also count in the US. 

“It’s been 84 years…” 

- Me talking about the progress of my I-751

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Romania
Timeline
12 hours ago, Wisa said:

You can't get married twice. So decide if you want the zoom one or the Phillipines one. If you do the zoom, probably you will need to supply a copy of that when filing the petition.

Also tell your mom to f off and leave you alone. If you are insecure that he won't marry you there might be different problems there.

6 hours ago, SalishSea said:

Sounds like you need to spend more time getting to know someone before just deciding to marry them….almost makes it sound like finding an American to marry is essentially a vehicle out of the Philippines.

We don’t have divorce so my mom is extra worried and an annulment is tedious and expensive. My mom is just worried about “what if’s” and she doesn’t want me to be stuck in a marriage where he could ghost me and I won’t be able to get married in the Philippines again. I know it may sound like im marrying just to leave the Philippines which I have to admit is a stereotype but I hope you also understand that because we dont have divorce, we can potentially be married for life even if a marriage is not viable anymore AND THAT’S SCARY. 

1 hour ago, ineedadisplayname said:

You can't get married twice. So decide if you want the zoom one or the Phillipines one. If you do the zoom, probably you will need to supply a copy of that when filing the petition.

Also tell your mom to f off and leave you alone. If you are insecure that he won't marry you there might be different problems there.

I didn’t know that marrying twice was illegal cause I saw people get married online then do a wedding in person and thought that was a thing 😅. And yes my mom is just weighing all the possibilities which made me realize that I should in some way consider them too. He’ll be coming here and we’ll spend more time in person and if I still feel uneasy and eerie about it, we’ll either postpone or not go through. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.