PokuPoku

How soon after arrival can my fiancee work or earn money?

14 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Malaysia
Timeline

My understanding is once we get married, she can fill out form i-765 and that takes 4 to 7 months to process. So roughly ~6 months?

What are the specific rules on not being allowed to work until she receives works authorization? We both separately run an online business. Does this mean she can no longer manage or earn money from her online business? What about my business, can she perform work for my business for free? If i'm at a craft fair, and she is behind my table helping me sell merchandise (as an assistant/volunteer, not an employee), is that technically legal or illegal?

I work part time for another business that would hire her the moment she is allowed to be employed. Would that help allow her to start working sooner?

I know these are very specific questions! I hope I can get some answers so I know what to expect when she arrives next year. Thank you! ❤️

Timeline
16 minutes ago, appleblossom said:

She can’t work at all until she has the EAD. That includes running her own business remotely if she’s in the US, or working for you (as it’s a job somebody else could do). She can do true volunteer work such as helping at an animal shelter or soup kitchen though. 

Thanks. I wanted to make sure since I didn't see any discussion about this regarding self employed people.

18 minutes ago, Boiler said:

If she wants to or needs to work then you chose the wrong route.

I'm not sure there was another route? She would've had to apply for a visa to visit here, which likely would have been denied (a friend of ours was denied when trying to visit her bf), and we legally can't get married in her country.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline

Look at my timeline, wife got her work permit in less than a month and her green card in about three months after we got married in July of this year.

Timeline
1 minute ago, Sam Burns said:

Look at my timeline, wife got her work permit in less than a month and her green card in about three months after we got married in July of this year.

wow! That great to hear

21 minutes ago, PokuPoku said:

wow! That great to hear

That person's experience is definitely the exception.  Average processing times for I-765 and I-485 are available on uscis.gov.

8 hours ago, PokuPoku said:

I’m not sure there was another route? She would've had to apply for a visa to visit here, which likely would have been denied (a friend of ours was denied when trying to visit her bf), and we legally can't get married in her country.

I think Boiler meant the other spousal route, CR1 (or IR1) I mentioned above. Then she’d have been a green card holder on arrival and could have started work straight away - in the baggage hall if she wanted! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, PokuPoku said:

and we legally can't get married in her country.

Utah Zoom marriage works in these situations, lots of CR-1 approvals going this route, you just have to meet in person after the Zoom marriage or be physically together for the ceremony.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, PokuPoku said:

I'm not sure there was another route? She would've had to apply for a visa to visit here, which likely would have been denied (a friend of ours was denied when trying to visit her bf), and we legally can't get married in her country.

Is there any reason you and she cannot meet in another country somewhere?  Utah wedding then you go visit her to legitimize the marriage?

You can get married in Malaysia, but there is admittedly a lot of work to be done to prepare to marry in Malaysia.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Poland
Timeline
16 hours ago, SalishSea said:

That person's experience is definitely the exception.  Average processing times for I-765 and I-485 are available on uscis.gov.

I wonder about this as other people in the group I was in (July 2023 filers for I-485) were getting processed quickly too

Edited by Sam Burns

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
1 hour ago, Sam Burns said:

I wonder about this as other people in the group I was in (July 2023 filers for I-485) were getting processed quickly too

OP get could lucky and his spouse get her EAD in one month, but he should not count on it. There have always been cases that get approved lightning fast and there have always been cases that take far too long (with no good reason). I would always advise to hope for the best but expect the worst, as far as USCIS goes. Speculation regarding approval times does not address the OP's question.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

A post and replies to it removed due to violation of the following TOS provision:

- Condone or instruct, either directly or indirectly, others on how to commit fraudulent or illegal immigration activities in any way, shape, manner or method.

Repeated TOS violations can and will result in administrative action against your account, including suspension.

Visa Journey’s TOS, to which everyone who signs up agrees to, can be found here.

VJ Moderation 

*** Thread moved to Working & Traveling during US immigration forum *** 

Edited by powerpuff

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

Legally she cannot work without having both SSN and a document allowing her to work (EAD in her case). My husband was self-employed and mostly working from home when I moved here and obviously I helped him with his work instead of just sitting around. Would've been super awkward staying in bed all day while he was working hard in the next room. 🤣

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.