janobciana01

Filing for I-130 and I-485 For My Mother [merged threads]

37 posts in this topic

the amount of people who said " we dont need EAD, we dont need AP" but later on they need it ASAP and cant get it quick and decide to abandon the whole thing just because they said "we dont need it"

always file any benefits that you can get. better to have it but dont need it. no additional fee anyway to file EAD and AP with AOS

11 hours ago, janobciana01 said:

Hi, my mom is 71 years old and she came in here with tourist visa. 

What is your plan to provide her with health insurance, since she will not be eligible for medicare?  Does she have substantial retirement savings?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline
2 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

What is your plan to provide her with health insurance, since she will not be eligible for medicare?  Does she have substantial retirement savings?

They are in LA so Medi-Cal. https://www.dhcs.ca.gov/services/medi-cal/Pages/default.aspx

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

3 hours ago, Boiler said:

Is medi cal better or easier to obtain for an elderly LPR? 

I am curious, because in CT even an elderly LPR will not qualify for Medicaid until after five years have passed as an LPR. Even after five years proof of sponsor income/assets is required in order to be considered for Medicaid (there are few exceptions to this requirement). 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Medi~Cal is free so why wouldn't you and no 5 year wait.

I have not come across Sponsor involvement before, after 5 years they could naturalise to get out of that anyway 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

12 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Medi~Cal is free so why wouldn't you and no 5 year wait.

I have not come across Sponsor involvement before, after 5 years they could naturalise to get out of that anyway 

Wow! No wait, this is interesting. I guess CA is a place to be for a new LPR. 

I am only familiar with CT rules. Sponsor income and asset deeming still applies even after 5 years for elderly LPR (not applicable for magi medical aka Obamacare). Unless the exceptions from affidavit of support occur (LPR becomes a US citizen, sponsor dies or LPR earns 40Q). 

I guess I shouldn't be surprised the politics of particular state play a big part in access to public assistance. 

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

Put it into context 1/3 of the population are on it.

I suppose they have the theoretical possibility of coming after assets when you pass but not likely to be an issue for most.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
2 hours ago, discoverusa said:

No wait, this is interesting. I guess CA is a place to be for a new LPR. 

The cost of living difference will more than exceed the “free” health care.

Maybe if they lived in the Central Valley there would be some savings. 

Edited by Mike E

18 hours ago, Mike E said:

You should file I-131 and I-693 too.

the lawyer i consulted here in VJ said dont do I-131 for now, but yes on the I-693, this is the medical right? Tahnk you!

7 hours ago, SalishSea said:

I am in LA, and we have Medi-CAL. I used to be under Medi-Cal before I started working. 

9 hours ago, Verrou said:

the amount of people who said " we dont need EAD, we dont need AP" but later on they need it ASAP and cant get it quick and decide to abandon the whole thing just because they said "we dont need it"

always file any benefits that you can get. better to have it but dont need it. no additional fee anyway to file EAD and AP with AOS

Oh i didnt know Advanced Parole is free with AOS. I intend to do her EAD, so I can use her ID to apply for SSN for her so I can get her a California ID. My mom said she wanna try to work because she's been a stay at home forever and just so she doesnt get bored, we might just let her work few hours a week. She said she wants to have her own money as well :)

18 hours ago, Me and her said:

So, is she planning to work?

She said she wants to. Because she wants to have her own money and not always depend on us :) She's been a stay at home mom since forever. We will allow her to work or volunteer just so she has other stuff to do that gardening at home - probably 10-15 hours a week. 

Timeline

Probably a misunderstanding 

57 minutes ago, janobciana01 said:

She said she wants to. Because she wants to have her own money and not always depend on us :) She's been a stay at home mom since forever. We will allow her to work or volunteer just so she has other stuff to do that gardening at home - probably 10-15 hours a week. 

That sounds wonderful!. Good luck to you and your mom.  I would heed the advice of @Mike Eand file the I-131, as it is free.  

Edited by Me and her

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.