16 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi everyone. I’m going to try and make this short but any help is appreciated. 
I’ve been living in the U.S. with my spouse after an unplanned elopement last July, we filed for my Adjustment of Status concurrently with my I-130 petition, as well as my I-765 EAD, and I-131 AP. 
I am Canadian and crossed via land border to visit my wife for the Canada Day & 4th Of July holiday week in 2022. So I was not issued an i94, as well as did not have any valid visa status. But since I am Canadian I did not need a visa to visit. 
when we got married and decided I stay, we contacted a lawyer and he said it would be no problem since our wedding wasn’t planned. Fast forward to a year from then, my EAD has been approved and i’m about to start my new job on this coming Monday, but I just got a letter in the mail saying my interview has been scheduled for this Wednesday. When it comes to Bonafide evidence of our marriage, my wife and I have affidavits from our family and friends (we even lived with my father in law for many months while we worked through this process), we just very recently signed a lease and moved into our own apartment in the city so we do have a lease. I am on her health insurance card as a dependent, as well as I am a named insured on our car insurance. We do not have joint bank accounts because we just use an online no-fee bank and they don’t allow joint accounts. 
however, we just downloaded my wife’s tax transcript from the most recent filing year (we filed her i864 with the 2021 tax year and she’s since filed for the 2022 year) and we realized that her tax agency filed her as “Single” and not “married filing separately” (as I did not work in the U.S. that year and have filed in Canada for myself.) we did not realize this error until today, which is one week from the date of my interview. 
will the other evidence we have as a married couple be enough that the IO won’t question it ? Or will this severely hinder our chances of a successful interview ? She is filing an amendment for 1040-X to change her marital status with the IRS tomorrow, but it takes about 3-5 weeks to receive that confirmation. It was an honest mistake, as she has been using this tax preparer for years and we truly didn’t realize until right this moment. 
many advice on next steps? Or if I should or should not be worried?? 
thanks xx

43 minutes ago, ADCameri-can said:

Hi everyone. I’m going to try and make this short but any help is appreciated. 
I’ve been living in the U.S. with my spouse after an unplanned elopement last July, we filed for my Adjustment of Status concurrently with my I-130 petition, as well as my I-765 EAD, and I-131 AP. 
I am Canadian and crossed via land border to visit my wife for the Canada Day & 4th Of July holiday week in 2022. So I was not issued an i94, as well as did not have any valid visa status. But since I am Canadian I did not need a visa to visit. 
when we got married and decided I stay, we contacted a lawyer and he said it would be no problem since our wedding wasn’t planned. Fast forward to a year from then, my EAD has been approved and i’m about to start my new job on this coming Monday, but I just got a letter in the mail saying my interview has been scheduled for this Wednesday. When it comes to Bonafide evidence of our marriage, my wife and I have affidavits from our family and friends (we even lived with my father in law for many months while we worked through this process), we just very recently signed a lease and moved into our own apartment in the city so we do have a lease. I am on her health insurance card as a dependent, as well as I am a named insured on our car insurance. We do not have joint bank accounts because we just use an online no-fee bank and they don’t allow joint accounts. 
however, we just downloaded my wife’s tax transcript from the most recent filing year (we filed her i864 with the 2021 tax year and she’s since filed for the 2022 year) and we realized that her tax agency filed her as “Single” and not “married filing separately” (as I did not work in the U.S. that year and have filed in Canada for myself.) we did not realize this error until today, which is one week from the date of my interview. 
will the other evidence we have as a married couple be enough that the IO won’t question it ? Or will this severely hinder our chances of a successful interview ? She is filing an amendment for 1040-X to change her marital status with the IRS tomorrow, but it takes about 3-5 weeks to receive that confirmation. It was an honest mistake, as she has been using this tax preparer for years and we truly didn’t realize until right this moment. 
many advice on next steps? Or if I should or should not be worried?? 
thanks xx

I don't see any issues with your bonafides, to be honest.    The tax return amendment is a good idea.  Family/friend affidavits are okay, but not strong evidence.  

In terms of banking, can you open joint no-fee credit union accounts?  That is what my spouse and I did.  Are there other joint bills or accounts that you can show as evidence?  

Timeline
4 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

I don't see any issues with your bonafides, to be honest.    The tax return amendment is a good idea.  Family/friend affidavits are okay, but not strong evidence.  

In terms of banking, can you open joint no-fee credit union accounts?  That is what my spouse and I did.  Are there other joint bills or accounts that you can show as evidence?  

Unfortunately we don’t have time to open a new bank account as my interview is in a week now, I would assume it would look suspicious if we all of a sudden opened an account right before my interview. That would have been an option if we had more time, but my EAD and SSN were only approved at the end of May, so we haven’t had much time to get my name on anything honestly.
I am listed as an authorized user on our phone bill, which has both of our devices on it. the gas and electric at our new apartment is in my name (they wouldn’t let me add her as a joint account holder?). 
but again the tax return amendment won’t be available for 3-5 weeks, so should we just take a photo and or scan a copy of the form before we mail it? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Being married, even with little property, you should have properly drafted and executed estate documents.

It might take a while to draft Wills, but you should consider getting some medical and durable Powers of Attorney drafted.  I suggest finding a lawyer to do them; it looks more professional and, I've heard, it's far safer than doing it yourself off the Internet.  You should have time this week.

Congratulations on the new job and the interview!  Come back to tell us how things are progressing.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline
1 minute ago, ADCameri-can said:

Unfortunately we don’t have time to open a new bank account as my interview is in a week now, I would assume it would look suspicious if we all of a sudden opened an account right before my interview. That would have been an option if we had more time, but my EAD and SSN were only approved at the end of May, so we haven’t had much time to get my name on anything honestly.
I am listed as an authorized user on our phone bill, which has both of our devices on it. the gas and electric at our new apartment is in my name (they wouldn’t let me add her as a joint account holder?). 
but again the tax return amendment won’t be available for 3-5 weeks, so should we just take a photo and or scan a copy of the form before we mail it? 

This all happened so fast. We didn’t even send our application in until the end of February 2023, by May 20th I had my EAD and SSN and my interview is booked for Aug 2. I’m so overwhelmed with it happening so fast we didn’t have enough time to establish hardly anything. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, ADCameri-can said:

I’m so overwhelmed with it happening so fast we didn’t have enough time to establish hardly anything. 

Well, admit that to the interviewer.  How can you be blamed for the unexpected whirlwind of events?

Just have what you can have -- the Powers of Attorney will be good -- and relax as best you can.

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

6 minutes ago, ADCameri-can said:

This all happened so fast. We didn’t even send our application in until the end of February 2023, by May 20th I had my EAD and SSN and my interview is booked for Aug 2. I’m so overwhelmed with it happening so fast we didn’t have enough time to establish hardly anything. 

That's kind of the deal you sign up for when you adjust status.  Again, I don't think you are in a bad place with your evidence.  Let us know how you go.

Timeline
Just now, TBoneTX said:

Well, admit that to the interviewer.  How can you be blamed for the unexpected whirlwind of events?

Just have what you can have -- the Powers of Attorney will be good -- and relax as best you can.

“Relax” isn’t in my vocabulary at the moment haha! Very nerve wracking time for sure. But I appreciate you easing my mind a little. It’s definitely best to just be honest with them and tell them it all happened so fast that we didn’t have time to get our ducks in a row like we’d planned to. They’re human too they’ve got to appreciate our vulnerability.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, ADCameri-can said:

“Relax” isn’t in my vocabulary at the moment haha! Very nerve wracking time for sure. But I appreciate you easing my mind a little. It’s definitely best to just be honest with them and tell them it all happened so fast that we didn’t have time to get our ducks in a row like we’d planned to. They’re human too they’ve got to appreciate our vulnerability.

I fully agree with you -- they thrive on honesty.

If you get nervous, just tell the butterflies in your stomach to fly in formation. :) 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Uruguay
Timeline
10 hours ago, ADCameri-can said:

The fastest online bank I know of is Capital One. After you opened an account and verify everything, adding your spouse to it as a joint account is next. After she does her verification, it's all set. At first it'll take a few days (No need to make excuse for can't open one right now - just to say how easy it is) but when you talk about it in your interview, you can say you're in the process! :)

No monthly fee or anything like that. My Husband and I like it.

Edited by WaterLeaf

K-1 Visa process (I'm the USC [F]) [2018-2019]

Spoiler

Sent packet: August 10, 2018 (Lines Compressed to fit signature restriction guideline)

USCIS Received package: August 14 - Notification in text/email: August 17 - Mail received from USCIS: January 22, 2019
USCIS Approved I-129F Petition: January 17 - NVC Received Case: February 14 - NVC Case # Assigned: February 14

US Embassy Received: Not sure but got email reply - March 11 - Instructions Received via e-mail: March 19

Interview: May 7 - Approved! - Arriving to US/POE: June 12 - Married July 15, 2019

AOS Process [2019-2020]

Spoiler

Sent packet: July 27, 2019 - USCIS Received Package: July 29 - [Hiccup] Package was sent back due to incorrect fee and sent on August 5.
Notification in text/email: August 12 @ 12:30AM - Check cashed: August 12 - NOA 1 Mail: August 16 - Biometric: September 5 @ Atlanta, GA

AOS RFIE: Sept. 28 - got in mail by Oct 3. [They lost my Husband's Birth Certificate] - Sent back AOS RFIE: Oct 16 2019, at office by Oct 17.
AOS Case update notice on April 9th, 2020, waiting for mail. - Interview date: Scheduled as of July 15, date is August 19. Passed the interview!

My Husband got his GC! 2 Year Conditional Green Card expires 08/19/2022, Residence since 08/19/2020

ROC Process [2022-2024]

Spoiler

Sent packet: June 16, 2022 via USPS, USCIS Received Package: June 21
Notice in text (didn't get email nor text on other phone): June 24
Notice date: June 23, package is at SRC (Texas Service Center), Paid with Credit Card, payment taken on June 25
NOA 1 Mail: June 30, Biometric: Reused
Got letter in mail for extension: April 12th, Received date June 21, 2022, Notice date: April 5, 2023 = 48 Months Extension. No physical card yet.
Approved without interview as of Feb 15th, 2024. Was not a combo interview with N-400.

Naturalization N-400 [2023-2024]

Spoiler

Filed Online: July 28, 2023NOA: July 29, 2023
Service Center: NBC, application # starts with IOE#.
Biometrics waived. Got NOA mail Jan 5, 2024 says Interview in Nashville, TN on Feb 6, 2024.
Queue for review and approval. Already in line for Oath Ceremony as of Feb 13th, 2024.
NOA as of 4/29/24 - Oath Ceremony scheduled for May 30th in Chattanooga, TN. Rescheduled as of May 2nd, 2024 by USCIS - new date is May 29th.
May 29th - Naturalized! Ta-da!

Timeline
11 minutes ago, beloved_dingo said:

I would include these bills. You have a joint lease, and having bills in your name at that address bolsters the fact that a) you live there and b) you both have financial responsibility over marital bills.

A few things you can add, if you have them:

• Do you both have a driver's license/state ID with the same address? If so, make copies of those.
  • Are you an authorized user on her credit card(s)? If not, that is a very easy thing she could do to add additional evidence
  • Are you each other's beneficiary on any accounts or benefits? Like retirement accounts, life insurance, etc. - if so, add that documentation
  • Do you have any joint memberships? Costco, gym, etc? 
  • Do you have pets? If so, does the vet have both of your info on file? If so, see if you can get documentation of that. 
  • Have you taken any trips together domestically since you've been here? You can provide hotel reservations/Airbnb receipts, etc. 
  • Don't forget including some photos of you both together. It's a good thing for the IO to see you together as a couple, especially with friends/family
  • Do you have any mail with both names? Like bills, letters, cards, wedding invitations, graduation announcement, etc. 

I wouldn't worry about the taxes. It's a common mistake, especially the first tax filing after marriage. Just explain it if it comes up. And if you have any kind of written communication from your tax preparer about the error, it doesn't hurt to bring that. 

This is awesome info thank you SO much!!! 

I would also include a letter from your father in law specifying the dates you both lived with him as a married couple. It's an affidavit from your first "landlord."

4/12/13 - sent I-485 package

4/15/13 - USCIS Chicago Lockbox received package

4/22/13 - got email and txt

4/29/13 - received NOA in mail

5/08/13 - received biometrics appointment for 5/22

5/09/13 - successful early walk in at Port Chester, NY office

5/22/13 - I-485 updated to Testing & Interview

6/18/13 - EAD went to production

6/21/13 - Card/Document Production for EAD - second email

6/24/13 - EAD mailed

6/26/13 - EAD arrived

7/18/13 - got email about interview

7/20/13 - got hard copy interview letter

08/23/13 - interview - Approved dancin5hr.gif(card production & decision email)

08/28/13 - card production - second email

08/29/13 - card mailed

09/03/13 - card arrived

*********************************************************************************

05/27/2016 - N-400 mailed

06/02/2016 - NOA date

06/24/2016 - biometrics appointment

11/28/2016 - interview scheduled for January 9th, 2017

01/09/2017 - interview passed

01/20/2017 - Oath Ceremony

Timeline

HI EVERYONE! 
interview was today! It was insane. We were SO prepared with a file book with about 400 pages in it (I added everything you all suggested since I last posted!) and The immigration officer did not ask us one thing about us or take one document from us. We sat in silence after saying hello and introducing ourselves, for about ten minutes, and then he said "listen ladies I looked over your application for about 30 minutes before you got here. I've seen what I need to see. I'm approving your permanent residence as of today. Congratulations! You'll get the card in the mail in less than two weeks. Any questions?" 
SUCH A WHIRLWIND. But such amazing news !!! 
afterwards he told us “I don’t mean to be brash but don’t get a lawyer when you remove conditions. It’s super easy. You can do it yourself, don’t waste y’all’s money.” And then escorted us out and said congrats again ! 😂 

thank you all for your help! And thank you do this site for being my safety net and support system through this wild ride! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.