24 posts in this topic

I’m a k1 holder and I’m in the US.
I married my spouse within the 90 days. 
My lawyer filed concurrent i-485 with “ I-130 “ 
In addition to i-765 and i-131.
I saw people posting that k1 holders don’t need to file i-130. 
My pd is March, 31.
My status is “ Case was received and a receipt notice was sent “.
I don’t prefer withdrawing the process and wait again. I didn’t even have my work permit.
What do you think guys ? 
I called my lawyer and they said they know how things work and just relax!

~~ Topic moved from K1 forum to AOS K1 visas forum - this is now an AOS case ~~

12 minutes ago, SalishSea said:

Your lawyer was stupid and wasted your money.   Fire him

Seriously though, that is just sad. This is the most basic of immigration knowledge and these ”lawyers” charge absurd fees AND make you pay an unnecessary USCIS fee ….. 

this issue has been discussed recently in the below thread:

1 hour ago, powerpuff said:

Seriously though, that is just sad. This is the most basic of immigration knowledge and these ”lawyers” charge absurd fees AND make you pay an unnecessary USCIS fee ….. 

Billable hours + drawing things out = lucrative gig.

I read everything you wrote guys but I’m confused because I don’t know what to do I don’t even know at witch box my lawyer checked. 
any suggestions? 
or just leave it as it is ?

If the lawyer checked on the k1 box it would show on the preferences classification “ Admitted as k1 fiancé holder “ instead of “ Immediate relative of USC” 

IMG_3139.jpeg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Belarus
Timeline

There was someone on either here or Reddit that recently reported they erroneously filed an I-130 but were ultimately called to an interview all the same. That being said, the officer told them point-blank the I-130 almost certainly delayed their overall timeline. 

Your lawyer made a mistake and is either incompetent at best or scamming you at worst. The fact he's double-downed makes me believe this is a case of the latter. It's your call, but he shouldn't be representing you anymore if he's also unwilling to admit (and correct w/o charge) what is an obvious mistake.

K-1 Visa Process: Complete 

I-129F Sent: 03/16/2021

I-129F Picked Up from Dallas Lockbox: 03/18/2021

NOA1: Received 03/17/2021 (backdated); notice date 04/08/2021

NOA2: 2/18/22 

NVC Received: 03/08/2022

NVC Case Number: 03/17/2022

Interview: 06/06/2022 —> Approved!

Wedding: 08/02/2022 🥳

AOS Process: Complete 

I-435/I-765/I-131 Sent: 08/09/2022

I-435/I-765/I-131 Picked up from Chicago PO Box: 08/10/2022

Priority Date: 08/10/2022 (NBC)

I-864 RFE: 08/25/2022

Biometrics: 09/08/2022 

Active Reviews: 09/08/2022 (EAD), 09/09/2022 (AOS)

RFE Response Sent: 09/15/2022

EAD / AP Approval: 06/06/2023 (approval notice in portal, no status update)

I-485 Approval: 04/19/2024 🥳

2 hours ago, Nazeer said:

Is it a complicated process withdrawing and waiting for their response then filing again ? 

No. You do not have to wait for a response to re-file, that would be a waste of time 

20 hours ago, powerpuff said:

this is really incompetent though. how can someone practicing immigration law get this basic thing wrong. iam blown up by the mistake. he should be sueing the law firm for the fees and the trauma 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

The first thing you need is a copy of your file from the Lawyer.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
19 hours ago, Nazeer said:

I read everything you wrote guys but I’m confused because I don’t know what to do I don’t even know at witch box my lawyer checked. 
any suggestions? 
or just leave it as it is ?

If the lawyer checked on the k1 box it would show on the preferences classification “ Admitted as k1 fiancé holder “ instead of “ Immediate relative of USC” 

IMG_3139.jpeg

Mine says "admitted as k1 fiance or k2 child"
Looks like your lawyer did it entirely wrong : ( ugh to both take and waste extra money, so awful.

image.png.e1c2b211e30e5d984cdb30a0fc220523.png

On 5/20/2023 at 6:21 PM, MissLadyRea said:

Mine says "admitted as k1 fiance or k2 child"
Looks like your lawyer did it entirely wrong : ( ugh to both take and waste extra money, so awful.

image.png.e1c2b211e30e5d984cdb30a0fc220523.png

but he filed i-130 and i-485 so the classification is correct but i-130  was never needed 

duh

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, igoyougoduke said:

but he filed i-130 and i-485 so the classification is correct but i-130  was never needed 

Wrong classification for a k1 holder though which is the point I was intending to get across. Yes it'd be technically correct, in the matter of its not a USCIS screw-up, but it is a lawyer screwup. 

It may or may not point to what the answers on the forms would be, which seems to change what you can even do in this situation. If so, that further proves the lawyers incompetence 

Edited by MissLadyRea

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.