Chrissss

K1 beneficiary is not employed

11 posts in this topic

I didn't think this would be an issue but I've been hearing from someone with experience on the matter that if my fiancée says that she's unemployed during the interview process, they're likely to immediately reject it as its "the worst way to answer that question". I'm skeptical because I'm seeing people here on forums saying the opposite and it also just doesn't make any sense to reject a k1 visa for that. Like if you're going to a different country you'd have to quit that job and start from scratch anyway, so what does it matter if you have a job or not? She does have a non profit organization that she co founded, I feel like that should be enough of an answer if they ask, right? This non profit work is also documented on her ds-160 and our i-129f. So, is this a non issue?

5 minutes ago, Chrissss said:

if my fiancée says that she's unemployed during the interview process, they're likely to immediately reject it as its "the worst way to answer that question".

The best (and only) way to answer a question during the interview is truthfully.  Do not lie.  You will not like the results.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Someone with no experience in the matter.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
4 hours ago, Chrissss said:

I didn't think this would be an issue but I've been hearing from someone with experience on the matter that if my fiancée says that she's unemployed during the interview process, they're likely to immediately reject it as its "the worst way to answer that question". I'm skeptical because I'm seeing people here on forums saying the opposite and it also just doesn't make any sense to reject a k1 visa for that. Like if you're going to a different country you'd have to quit that job and start from scratch anyway, so what does it matter if you have a job or not? She does have a non profit organization that she co founded, I feel like that should be enough of an answer if they ask, right? This non profit work is also documented on her ds-160 and our i-129f. So, is this a non issue?

they aren't required to work but yeah I'd answer that as her 'work'. Even if she's not earning from it, she's at least doing something. Lots of people who move over are essentially 'housewives' so if employment was an issue there'd be far less approvals...
I've never heard of unemployment of beneficiary being a problem. People often misreport their experience. 

I-129f filed: 2022-10-21  ||  NOA1: 2022-10-24  ||  NOA2: 2023-09-21
NVC Received: 2023-10-13  ||  NVC in transit: 2023-10-24  ||  NVC Ready: 2023-10-26 

Medical: 2023-11-24  ||  Interview: 2023-12-14  ||  CEAC Issued: 2023-12-18  ||  VOH: 2023-12-20
Entry to US: 2024-02-14 || Married: 2024-02-29

---

AOS filed: 2024-03-18 ||  NOA1: 2024-03-20 || Biometrics: 2024-04-01
EAD NOA2: 2024-04-02  ||  EAD Received: 2024-04-24
GC Approval: ...

5 hours ago, Chrissss said:

Not working or being unemployed or doing non-profit work is okay for the I-129F.

But there is a question in I-129F or I-134 about if the K1 beneficiary has ever been a public charge?

So my guess is that if the K1 beneficiary is unemployed and had public charge because of unemployment then that may be considered along with the K1 petitioner's means to support the K1 beneficiary from the I-134.

Edited by EatBulaga

6 hours ago, Chrissss said:

Many factors go into a denial: the beneficiary's home country, the age of the petitioner, if the petitioner is male vs female... 

If an older (close to retirement) female USC is petitioning a younger (20-30) male and he is not working and being supported by the USC (but she also requires a joint sponsor)... you can see why that might lead to denial - public charge issues. 

If a young male USC (just out of school or college) sponsors a young female beneficiary (thinking about going to school/ just completed school/lives in a country where women aren't expected to work...) being supported by the USC or family members - probably won't be denied because they're both just starting out in life. 

ETA: Consulate says you shouldn't quit your job before you receive the visa (in case there is a denial/long AP) but it doesn't say you have to be employed when you interview~ 

Edited by Redro

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, Chrissss said:

matter that if my fiancée says that she's unemployed during the interview process, they're likely to immediately reject it

False

7 hours ago, Chrissss said:

She does have a non profit organization that she co founded, I feel like that should be enough of an answer if they ask, right? 

She is unemployed

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nicaragua
Timeline
8 hours ago, Chrissss said:

if you're going to a different country you'd have to quit that job and start from scratch anyway, so what does it matter if you have a job or not? 

Exactly! They don't care about the beneficiary's income, if any. That is why you, the petitioner, had to prove that you have enough income to support her. My husband had a non-paying job as a pastor when we went through the k1 process. 0 issues, 0 questions.

I echo that which has already been said. It's a non-issue. Good luck on your immigration journey!

A Tale of Two Dakotaraguans

K1 Journey - 78 Days

Sent I-129F - 11/16/15 [Day 1]
NOA1 - 11/18 (Hard copy: 11/24) [Day 2, Day 8]
NOA2 - 12/18 (Hard copy: 12/26) [Day 32, Day 40]
NVC received file: 1/05/2016 [Day 50] Obtained NVC invoice number, paid visa fee, filled out DS-160: 1/06 [Day 51]
Fiancé's medical: 1/12 9:00am [Day 57]
Interview: 1/22 9:30am, Approved! [67 days] (F)
Visa status on ceac site= "AP": 1/25, "Issued":01/27, "In Transit: 2/02", Visa packet in hand: 2/03 [Day 78]
POE: (Houston) 2/04, North Dakota arrival: 2/05

Married (civil): 2/05/16 (L)

AOS - 55 Days

I-485, AP, EAD sent : 3/03/2016 [Day 1]

Delivered: 3/04 [Day 2]

Electronic NOA1: 3/08 [Day 5]  NOA1 Hardcopy rcv'd in mail: 3/12 [Day 9]; Biometric Notification rcv'd in mail: 3/26 [Day 23]; Biometrics Appt: 4/06 in Fargo, ND [Day 33]

Notification(s): "Your new card is being produced" 4/23 [Day 48] ; "Your case was approved" 4/26 [Day 51]; "Your card was mailed on 4/27" 4/28 [Day 53]

Green Card in Hand: 4/30 [Day 55]

D-day ("Dress day"/I do...again Day/wedding reception): 9/10/16

ROC - 390 days 

Spoiler

Window opens: 1/24/2018

Package sent: 1/26, Delivered on 1/29 at 11:17am to CSC - [Day 1]

Check cashed: 1/31 [Day 3]

NOA1: 1/29 [Day 1]; NOA rcv'd in mail: 2/02 [Day 4]

Biometrics  Sent 5/5, rcv'd in mail 5/12 [Day 107]

Biometrics appt: Not required

18 Month extension letter received, dated 8/18: 8/24/18 [Day 211]

"New Card Being Produced" - 2/11/19 [Day 382], email "we mailed your card on 2/14" - 2/15

Card arrived: 2/19/19 [Day 390]

Citizenship - 643 Days

Spoiler

Window opens: 01/24/2019

E-file: 01/28/2019 [Day 1]

Biometrics = scheduled: 02/01 [Day 4], view uploaded document: 02/05 [Day 8], appointment day: 02/19 [Day 22] In Fargo, ND

Interview scheduled notification online: 9/3/20 [Day 585]

Interview in Minneapolis, MN: 10/20/20 [Day 632] at 12:15 PM: passed/approved

Oath Ceremony: scheduled 10/20, view letter online 10/21

Oath : Fargo, ND 2:15pm at sanctuary events center. No guests allowed

1808 total days of thinking about/waiting for immigrations!

Applied for US Passport 11/4/2020, application approved 1/26/21, passport and naturalization cert received in mailbox: 1/28/21 📘

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Never knew a beneficary that had to prove ne/she was working or had an income for a K1

K1 intending immigrant can not work till the EAD is grannted in the US -months from POE

CO may ask about education

or immigrants future plans to work or study to get background to find out if person could be a public charge 

but income of the US or LPR petitioner is the key 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

They did not ask me anything like that, now some people do get asked questions of that ilk bit I have a feeling they are heading in a different direction.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.