Joloms

USCIS said my marriage certificate doesn’t look real and it’s altered [merged threads]

38 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Benin
Timeline
1 minute ago, Family said:

On a light note, they are saying it looks fake..and I agree with them. Hopefully OP did not try to correct the misspelling himself, post issuance 

I didn’t correct anything, it was presented to us that day at the registry just the way it appeared there, why will I want to alter my father’s name? It’s just the letter T, it was changed from small letter (t) to a big letter (T) and it wasn’t done after that day, it was done at the registry 

RFE is very specific: we see alterations on ur copy. We want original and issuing authority documentation of any alterations. 

I see two letters changed ) written over ) where OP says it’s only one. 
I see various other letters that look like they were retraced ( bolder )..

And that is without my glasses on.. lol 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Family said:

RFE is very specific: we see alterations on ur copy. We want original and issuing authority documentation of any alterations. 

There’s no reason for your LOL, and I’m not here to lie ok, just only one little mistake that is the one circled , and that’s all so I will take ur advice , I will attach a letter from the issuing body stating the misspelling in my fathers name that’s all

12 minutes ago, Joloms said:

There’s no reason for your LOL, and I’m not here to lie ok, just only one little mistake that is the one circled , and that’s all so I will take ur advice , I will attach a letter from the issuing body stating the misspelling in my fathers name that’s all

I Lol’d myself for looking at it without my glasses.. not questioning your integrity. 

I also very bluntly voiced concern that you may have corrected, but absolutely appreciated your direct response. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline

It's natural for USCIS to question any alteration, even if it's the fault of the issuing body (Public workers are known for such laxity and nonchalant attitude). That's why they request a letter from the Registry to signify that they know about the alteration.

Now, this is where it gets tricky, make sure you do not send a Certified copy ALONE. USCIS knows how major Nigerian Government institutions are tainted by irregularities. You should send the exact copy to which they asked the original, which to be safer can also be accompanied by a certified copy and an explanation letter, signed and stamped by the registry on official letter head papers (which should contain Telephone numbers and email just in case they want to confirm). Not to sound overkill, you can also have a Notary public issue an attestation letter too( but notary will ask to see the original cert or certified copy though).

I also see they issued Rfe for your birth certificate (I hope what you submitted is the NPC's). It's a Technique to see what you (possibly changed, if any) on your marriage cert. Since your Birth cert has the name of your father, they will compare the letters to know if its just a simple alteration or a complete letter change.

Above all, give them EXACTLY what's asked, which is the original copy of both NPC birth cert and Marriage cert; they will be mailed back to you. 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Family said:

In my opinion the wording of the RFE is not specific to this case due to the list of issues followed by "and/or".  It looks to me to be the standard wording they would use to explain the problem is one or more of those issues, all of which can be resolved (one way or the other) with submission of both original documents they requested.

Another issue I see is distortion in the general area of the signature.  Yes definitely the O has been retraced and the T perhaps over traced to be upper case.

If that's all it is, then legible originals will clear up any concern.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

51 minutes ago, pushbrk said:

n my opinion the wording of the RFE is not specific to this case due to the list of issues followed by "and/or".  It looks to me to be the standard wording they would use to explain the problem is one or more of those issues, all of which can be resolved (one way or the other) with submission of both original documents they requested.

Another issue I see is distortion in the general area of the signature.  Yes definitely the O has been retraced and the T perhaps over traced to be upper case.

If that's all it is, then legible originals will clear up any concern.

I trust your spidey sense that perhaps there are underlying and unstated issues USCIS may be considering, aside from the alterations, and OP would not know unless he researched or any other VJ members with recent ( 2019 and later) local registry marriage experience read this post and chime in.

The big issue being the ongoing litigation between “ local” registries and the Federal Government ..

( unable to link source but it is from a justice.gov page):

foreign embassies in Nigeria have stopped accepting marriage certificates issued by local governments at the instruction of the Ministry of Interior (The Punch 6 Dec. 2019; Daily Trust 5 Dec. 2019). Sources state that as of 2019, there is an ongoing lawsuit brought by four local governments [in Lagos, Edo, Imo and Rivers states (The Punch 8 Aug. 2019)] against the Ministry of Interior to contest the legal jurisdiction over marriage registration (The Association of Local Governments Marriage Registrars of Nigeria [Sept. 2019]; The Punch 8 Aug. 2019). The US reciprocity schedule indicates that couples who marry at local government registries "may not know that their marriage is not legally recognized by federal authorities" (US n.d.).

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Nigeria.html

led to the opening of local marriage registry offices by nearly all LGAs.  [There are 774 LGAs within Nigeria.]  Similar to the churches described above, some LGAs have been authorized by the Federal Marriage Registry to perform marriage ceremonies “under the act.” The vast majority perform marriage ceremonies without any federal authority.  The Federal Marriage Registry has stated that these ceremonies are not legal, however individuals who marry at LGA registries may not know that their marriage is not legally recognized by federal authorities.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html

For the sake of completeness this is what they go by in assessing what documents are required.

And yes fake documents and Nigeria seems to be a common issue.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
On 11/3/2022 at 11:06 AM, Joloms said:

We got a RFE and it stated that we needed additional documents including the original of my wedding certificate, they indicated that it looks fake and may be altered.

the marriage was conducted in Benin city local govt registry. Pls advise me what to do, attached is the letter from Uscis and my marriage certificate.

E2AF4068-6786-4DAB-928F-F8C7CE682D21.jpeg

E7493D28-120C-499E-BEE6-C5069BAEB59E.png

This marriage certificate is not acceptable at Lagos. Not only is it on the wrong form, it is also folded/creased. Folding/bending/creasing or any stains on the form is considered “altering.” You have no choice but to correct this.

Lagos operates by Secrion 24 of the Marriage Act and will only accept a marriage that is recorded on Form E- First Schedule. This means you must go to the Federal Republic of Nigeria Ministry of Interior to have your local government marriage recorded on that form. 

Timeline
49 minutes ago, Shamondy said:

This marriage certificate is not acceptable at Lagos. Not only is it on the wrong form, it is also folded/creased. Folding/bending/creasing or any stains on the form is considered “altering.” You have no choice but to correct this.

Lagos operates by Secrion 24 of the Marriage Act and will only accept a marriage that is recorded on Form E- First Schedule. This means you must go to the Federal Republic of Nigeria Ministry of Interior to have your local government marriage recorded on that form. 

It’s a local government registry and all the local govt marriage certificates looks like this and yes a lot of people whose application have been approved uses a local govt  marriage certificate , I would just send in the original copy the way it appears here, I experienced flood so the certificate was a bit stained , thank u

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
On 11/5/2022 at 8:52 AM, Joloms said:

It’s a local government registry and all the local govt marriage certificates looks like this and yes a lot of people whose application have been approved uses a local govt  marriage certificate , I would just send in the original copy the way it appears here, I experienced flood so the certificate was a bit stained , thank u

I’m sorry about the flood and hope you’re ok. 
Mind you, the person that said this is not acceptable is also from Nigeria. 
Get a registered copy of the original, send that in

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline

There is a seal they normally put on the certificate check if yours have it.. 

p/s is there any WhatsApp group for spouse visa I can join?.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.