Will&Christine

Does marrying online voids fiance visa if we didn't meet after?

29 posts in this topic

We married online a while ago through Utah because we haven't heard progress on fiance visa for couple years. But then not long after marriage we got a news that embassy have received our application. I still haven't go to Philippines to meet her to consummate marriage for spouse visa. Is our fiance visa application void or still possible to receive it since our marriage hasn't consummated?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Meet and file CR1

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 hours ago, Will&Christine said:

We married online a while ago through Utah because we haven't heard progress on fiance visa for couple years. But then not long after marriage we got a news that embassy have received our application. I still haven't go to Philippines to meet her to consummate marriage for spouse visa. Is our fiance visa application void or still possible to receive it since our marriage hasn't consummated?

Fiancé visa is not an option anymore because you are married. Your only option now is the CR1

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
3 hours ago, Will&Christine said:

I disagree with everyone else (and folks we’ve been here before). 

Before the age of the Internet, unconsummated proxy marriages didn’t void a K-1 visa application, so I don’t see why unconsummated Utah online marriages void a K-1 visa application.  And at least one couple’s lawyer agrees with me. 

In the eyes of the state of Utah and many institutions you are married. However, the USCIS does not consider you to be married via a virtual Utah wedding, or any proxy wedding, until the marriage is consummated. In practice, this means you must meet in person *after* the on-line weeding took place.  For those saying the virtual wedding itself voids the K! application and to file a CR-1, consider that the USCIS will deny the CR-1 unless the marriage has been consummated. This is well documented.

To the OP: do a search and you will find other immigration attorneys who say the same as in Mike E's post.   This is a very recent development and you might want to consult an experienced attorney on how best to present your case whether you go for K1 or CR1.

Edited by Nuba

Timeline

All that is needed is for the Consulate to ask for evidence you did not meet.

You went through with the Utah marriage presumably for a reason

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

2 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

They did get the K1 but we cannot say it was successful until AOS is complete. 

I've been watching for news on that case, too. Although the K1 visa was successfully granted by Dept of State, I personally wouldn't consider it a completely successful process until AOS is approved by USCIS.

Edited by Adventine

Timeline
3 hours ago, Boiler said:

All that is needed is for the Consulate to ask for evidence you did not meet.

You went through with the Utah marriage presumably for a reason

How do you prove a negative?

Timeline
16 minutes ago, Mike E said:

How do you prove a negative?

My thought is why go through this very long process and have to?

Why complicate matters?

Timeline
1 hour ago, Boiler said:

My thought is why go through this very long process and have to?

Why complicate matters?

There’s no evidence DoS asks to prove this negative. 

OP complicated matters because there was no light at the end of the K-1 tunnel. So they married online.  Presumably they were planning their meeting in order file I-130.  Instead light popped up. 

The online marriage was a superb hedge that did no harm.  Well played OP.  

Advising this couple to meet now, file I-130 and drag this out doesn’t make any sense to me.  

What others are saying makes a lot of sense. How could they say that you are not married enough for a spouse visa and at the same time say that you are too married for a fiance visa. I would think that you go forward with fiance visa and once she arrives you are consummated. In the ens the only issue that I see is your marriage date is before her arrival date.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline
20 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

They did get the K1 but we cannot say it was successful until AOS is complete. 

17 hours ago, Adventine said:

I've been watching for news on that case, too. Although the K1 visa was successfully granted by Dept of State, I personally wouldn't consider it a completely successful process until AOS is approved by USCIS.

Agreed. Imagine the IO processing the AOS seeing the marriage date earlier than the K1 visa issue date or K1 admission date. Does it ask on i485 anywhere when they consummated? No. I don't think the IO can simply approve it assuming they didn't consummate until getting admitted as K1. It may probably be approved ultimately after couple of back and forth but guarantees an RFE for sure.

Edited by arken

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.