Marshae04

Scammed out of $1500 HELP!!!

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

About a month ago I zelled $1500 to retain a lawyer this person has my case number my husbands passport everything pertaining to our case. Come to find out this person wasn't a lawyer they lied and stole my money and has since ghosted me.  I have the option to dispute the payment through my bank and get my money back, but I'm afraid that this person will try and retaliate and log back into my case and possible delete information to mess up and prolong our process which we've been waiting a year and a half for our interview. Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle this situation? I've tried calling the USCIS, but they are no longer taking any calls......and please don't judge me or say anything negative on my status If you can't give me any positive input then please politely keep scrolling with all due respect.......Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

no judgement 

you were scammed and sorry this has happened to u

1.  Get your money back from the bank/ usually u only have a month to dispute transactions

2.  Close that account and open a new one, /as the scammer may have your banking info

3.  Write to the address of the office where your case is located (or NVC) and 

cite the case # ,  both names and both your dates of birth

tell the office what has happened

the person can't delete your info with  but could say u wanted to cancel it

i doubt this person wants his email ID or any info about him to be seen so u may be worrying for nothing

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Marshae04 said:

About a month ago I zelled $1500 to retain a lawyer this person has my case number my husbands passport everything pertaining to our case. Come to find out this person wasn't a lawyer they lied and stole my money and has since ghosted me.  I have the option to dispute the payment through my bank and get my money back, but I'm afraid that this person will try and retaliate and log back into my case and possible delete information to mess up and prolong our process which we've been waiting a year and a half for our interview. Can anyone give me any advice on how to handle this situation? I've tried calling the USCIS, but they are no longer taking any calls......and please don't judge me or say anything negative on my status If you can't give me any positive input then please politely keep scrolling with all due respect.......Thank you 

Have you contacted the police?

Does this person have your husband's ACTUAL passport? If so, most countries have an option to report a lost/stolen passport. 

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Timeline
1 minute ago, beloved_dingo said:

Have you contacted the police?

Does this person have your husband's ACTUAL passport? If so, most countries have an option to report a lost/stolen passport. 

They have a copy of it not the actually passport and No I did not contact the police I don't think it much they can do about it to be honest.  Even if I file a report the most they would do is have the paper on file. People scam people everyday to them that's not a major crime

Timeline
4 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

no judgement 

you were scammed and sorry this has happened to u

1.  Get your money back from the bank/ usually u only have a month to dispute transactions

2.  Close that account and open a new one, /as the scammer may have your banking info

3.  Write to the address of the office where your case is located (or NVC) and 

cite the case # ,  both names and both your dates of birth

tell the office what has happened

the person can't delete your info with  but could say u wanted to cancel it

i doubt this person wants his email ID or any info about him to be seen so u may be worrying for nothing

Thank you for your input I hadn't thought about writing the NVC, but I will send an email to them asap.  I don't think the person would care they are a scammer it's probably all fake anyways their email etc. You are right about the bank I think it's a small timeframe that I can file a dispute to get my money back but I'll still try 

11 minutes ago, Marshae04 said:

Thank you for your input I hadn't thought about writing the NVC, but I will send an email to them asap.  I don't think the person would care they are a scammer it's probably all fake anyways their email etc. You are right about the bank I think it's a small timeframe that I can file a dispute to get my money back but I'll still try 

I would over night a letter fast as possible to NVC.. or the location of you case ( Fed-ex or UPS or USPS  cost around $30) also as mention above inform the police so you can have a case number to show to your bank ( cause they will ask you did you report it ) also here is a link with information about your husband passport  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/lost-stolen.html

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Gary Rich said:

I would over night a letter fast as possible to NVC.. or the location of you case ( Fed-ex or UPS or USPS  cost around $30) also as mention above inform the police so you can have a case number to show to your bank ( cause they will ask you did you report it ) also here is a link with information about your husband passport  https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/have-passport/lost-stolen.html

4 minutes ago, Gary Rich said:

Thank you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You won't get money back from Zelle. They even state that themselves. 

Sorry. 

Was this a Nigerian lawyer? How'd you find out he isn't a lawyer as he'd stated?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

That money is gone. You’re not getting it back unfortunately l

A scam is when you knowingly send money to someone you do not know or trust. For example, someone tricked or persuaded you into sending the money, or promised that you would receive something in return that they did not provide. While we are unable to assist with getting your money back, it is important to us that users have the ability to report this experience. We will report the information you provide to the recipient’s bank or credit union to help prevent anyone else from having the same experience. To report the user, please complete the fields.

https://www.zellepay.com/support/report-scam

No harm trying however just be aware. I’d focus on securing your information/petition with NVC.  

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Even more important than the money, the scammer stole your personal information.

If you haven't already, you need to change the login info of everything you remember sending to the scammer: email, bank info, etc. If you included your SSN, you need to freeze your credit because the scammer has everything they need to impersonate you and take out loans in your name.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

To clarify, you will not get money back from Zelle but it is possible that you can get money back through your bank that the Zelle account is tied to. Reach out to your bank and see if they are willing to work with you. A friend of mine sent a Zelle payment that ended up being a scam and her bank (Truist) refunded the money about 10 days after she went to the bank to report it. I think she had to fill out a form. Her payment was only $125 so YMMV.

K1 to AOS                                                                                   AOS/EAD/AP                                                                      N-400

03/01/2018 - I-129F Mailed                                              06/19/2019 - NOA1 Date                                              01/27/2023 - N-400 Filed Online

03/08/2018 - NOA1 Date                                                    07/11/2019 - Biometrics Appt                                   02/23/2023 - Biometrics Appt
09/14/2018 - NOA2 Date                                                    12/13/2019 - EAD/AP Approved                               04/03/2023 - Interview Scheduled

10/16/2018 - NVC Received                                              12/17/2019 - Interview Scheduled                          05/10/2023 - Interview - APPROVED!

10/21/2018 - Packet 3 Received                                      01/29/2020 - Interview - APPROVED!                  OFFICIALLY A U.S. CITIZEN! 

12/30/2018 - Packet 3 Sent                                               02/04/2020 - Green Card Received! 

01/06/2019 - Packet 4 Received                                     ROC - I-751

01/29/2019 - Interview - APPROVED!                           11/02/2021 - Mailed ROC Packet

02/05/2019 - Visa Received                                             11/04/2021 - NOA1 Date

05/17/2019 - U.S. Arrival                                                     01/19/2022 - Biometrics Waived

05/24/2019 - Married ❤️                                                    02/04/2023 - Transferred to New Office

06/14/2019 - Mailed AOS Packet                                    05/10/2023 - APPROVED!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
50 minutes ago, Adventine said:

Even more important than the money, the scammer stole your personal information.

If you haven't already, you need to change the login info of everything you remember sending to the scammer: email, bank info, etc. If you included your SSN, you need to freeze your credit because the scammer has everything they need to impersonate you and take out loans in your name.

This was my concern.  The scammer has the biographic passport page information.  Who knows what they're using that for.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to General Immigration Discussion, from IR1/CR1 Progress Reports. - the advice form members can also help others in different processes to avoid similar scams.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.