LJVotolato

Waiting for AOS/EAD - how do people spend these 6-9 months without work?

109 posts in this topic

When my fiance arrived via K1, she studied to get a nursing licenses, had to take a NCLEX Test. She spent about 3 months reviewing, and she was able to pass and get a RN Licenes in USA.   She had a fairly easy time getting a job at a hospital after a couple of months, bad thing is they only work a 7am to 7pm, or 7pm to 7am shift and it's 3 days per week which is full time.

After a couple of weeks of working at the hospital, I decided it would be best for her to just stay at home and be more of a house wife and take care of me.   Now looking back after a few years it is and was the best decision.

• 4 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline
On 6/28/2022 at 8:25 PM, WeekendPizzaiolo said:

Some people had little choice due to covid-related border closures, some of which lasted over a year and other closures that continue to this day. I was ineligible for the exception Canada made for (non-married) significant others of Canadian citizens and PRs as my partner was in the country as a student. Canada was not allowing re-entry for students with a valid student visa if their program moved online as a result of COVID. In most cases, K-1 is not the way to go, but there are exceptions, especially during the peak of the COVID era.

same situation for me and my partner - Australia's borders were closed to entry and also to exit. That interrupted our planned visit for a 3 month living together trial and engagement, and meant we couldn't meet up in either country or a 3rd one to get married for the CR-1, so K-1 was our only option. It's frustrating to hear "shouldn't have done K-1" when there was no choice.

On topic: My partner is so very tired of being at home. He can't drive for medical reasons, so he's only using transit to get around. He visited online friends who live in the states for a couple weeks, but otherwise he's just been here. We've gone to sports games together and we've toured museums and done activities on the weekends that way he's getting to know the city. The first two months he was fine starting to settle in and he started taking over household tasks. After that he picked back up hobbies he hadn't time for while doing his masters' - he wrote a novel, he's working on a video game mod, he's playing a lot of games. But now it's been 7 months since filing and 6 since biometrics ; we have seen other people get EAD and AP very close to their biometric dates ; and it's the winter holidays. He wants to be working but he wants even more to just go home for the holidays and he can't. I told him as soon as we get the AP we'll go.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 4:04 PM, quinnscribe said:

He wants to be working but he wants even more to just go home for the holidays and he can't. I told him as soon as we get the AP we'll go.

I really hope you guys get it soon. Good luck (and happy holidays ☺️)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Australia
Timeline

Happy holidays to you too and thank you!

15 hours ago, AW1704 said:

I really hope you guys get it soon. Good luck (and happy holidays ☺️)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

I'm glad my wife isn't the only one waiting for her EAD/AOS. We filed December 14, 2021 and got her biometrics done on January 18, 2022. It's almost 2023 and we just did an inquiry online to see why the long wait. She volunteers at our local food bank twice a week.. She also has her 13 year old daughter here and is having the same wait time. My issue now is my wife has had 2 biopsies for melanoma. I have her on my medical at work but my employer is asking for her SS card to add to her medical. They are afraid she might get denied even though she has had the surgeries. But she is in great spirits and thank goodness for video calls to her country and her daughter is here. It makes it more easier of a wait. I hope you get your documents soon..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
16 hours ago, Steve1226 said:

I'm glad my wife isn't the only one waiting for her EAD/AOS. We filed December 14, 2021 and got her biometrics done on January 18, 2022. It's almost 2023 and we just did an inquiry online to see why the long wait. She volunteers at our local food bank twice a week.. She also has her 13 year old daughter here and is having the same wait time. My issue now is my wife has had 2 biopsies for melanoma. I have her on my medical at work but my employer is asking for her SS card to add to her medical. They are afraid she might get denied even though she has had the surgeries. But she is in great spirits and thank goodness for video calls to her country and her daughter is here. It makes it more easier of a wait. I hope you get your documents soon..

I don't get how others in our situation aren't outraged? To be honest, I don't get outraged (and am against the outrage culture) but where are all of the people in our situation? Wouldn't they resort to being on this forum and sharing their experiences? 

I got my biometrics done in February and am just waiting now. Ugh! What state are you guys in? I'm in California.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
9 hours ago, LJVotolato said:

I don't get how others in our situation aren't outraged? To be honest, I don't get outraged (and am against the outrage culture) but where are all of the people in our situation? Wouldn't they resort to being on this forum and sharing their experiences? 

I got my biometrics done in February and am just waiting now. Ugh! What state are you guys in? I'm in California.

I don't understand either. I myself don't get to outraged but it seems there are only a few in our situation.  I can understand that they are short staffed or backed up from covid. Then I think it could be all those lucky illegals coming in from the boarder getting there paperwork done for free get ahead of the line ( just opinion lol). 

Either my wife gets her EAD/AOS soon or her green card. Somethings got to give. Also, my wife and her daughter don't even have their SS card and I can't file married on my taxes. Thank goodness my employer is understanding. 

I am up in Washington state. 

On 5/15/2022 at 6:21 AM, LJVotolato said:

I'm getting frustrated waiting for my AOS approval and just want to assure that I am not realizing something that everyone else here is. Do people really NOT work for those 6-9 months it takes for your AOS to be approved? I applied for my EAD with my AOS in December 2021 and it says the case is pending.

So how do you spend your days? Legit question. I have tons of hobbies but not being able to work and not being able to go back home (since I don't have my advance parole)  is very frustrating. Seems like a silly question, I know I know. I've waited months to ask it for that very reason.

Netflix worked during COVID lol

2 hours ago, LJVotolato said:

But you're not allowed to work while waiting for your green card. That's the whole premise of my question?

All this wait is well known and anticipated. Before filing K-1 one should weight their options in. For the past year or so, going through consular processing after marriage for CR1 is the best path to maintain employment.

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

All this wait is well known and anticipated. Before filing K-1 one should weight their options in. For the past year or so, going through consular processing after marriage for CR1 is the best path to maintain employment.

That would be an obvious responsibility of mine except I did weigh my option and it said 6-8 months in California. Now it's 6-18 months. So no matter the preparation, the circumstances have changed.

3 hours ago, LJVotolato said:

But you're not allowed to work while waiting for your green card. That's the whole premise of my question?

You’re not allowed to work while waiting for your EAD card not your green card.  With a pending AOS and a Canada license you should be able to get around.

Read.  Shop.  Watch Netflix.  Hit a gym a few times a week.  Join a fitbit step challenge.  Learn the area.  Use Uber to get around, it’s cheap. 
My wife took “drive on the correct side of the road” driving courses and made me take her somewhere new every weekend.  LOL

3 minutes ago, LJVotolato said:

That would be an obvious responsibility of mine except I did weigh my option and it said 6-8 months in California. Now it's 6-18 months. So no matter the preparation, the circumstances have changed.

You can go back to Canada and re-file an I130 if it’s that bad.  You can work while you wait.

Edited by iwannaplay54

1 hour ago, LJVotolato said:

6-18 months for what? I-129F? I-485? I-765? Combined? I doubt the entire process of I-129F and I-485 was projected to be under 12 months when you evaluated the options, unless we're talking 2019 or earlier.

Unfortunately, with US immigration, most of the times, things get more complicated, expensive and compared to the past. 

Edited by OldUser

Timeline
1 hour ago, OldUser said:

6-18 months for what? I-129F? I-485? I-765? Combined? I doubt the entire process of I-129F and I-485 was projected to be under 12 months when you evaluated the options, unless we're talking 2019 or earlier.

Unfortunately, with US immigration, most of the times, things get more complicated, expensive and compared to the past. 

My subject says it all - EAD and AOS. Look it up on their website for California - it now says 6-18 months. I don't know why you keep doubting that I'm doing the research lol.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.