ImagineMe

Possible abandonment of marriage

46 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Basically wife left with her friends Sunday Sept 26th to have dinner with her them that was turning out to be an all night thing( she did this the night before as well with different friends and didn't come home until mid day Sunday the 26th) and I told her to come back home. She became defiant and hasn't come back home since. Her father and brother are also here staying with me since their arrival in June. She blocked me, her mother and father, and brother on wechat because they are part of the problem with being pressured on various things, such as trying to immigrate her brother by means of a lawyer to have him become a Christian to use the asylum clause and remain in the US. She brought her father here because he fled China due to fraud and cannot go back as he will face the court. 

So she is escaping everyone due to all the pressures and had mentioned that she may do this. So I was always trying to make things easier on her and get her a psychologist to talk to as she asked for.

I have my lawyer starting a divorce but she may default on that as she doesn't want to be found.

She got a new passport from China in 2019 as her old one expired. So I do not have the info on that passport so I can look up the I-94 info to see if she left the country. The application for the 10 year greencard didn't require the passport so I need to know if there is a way to find out? I imagine I should call immigration to let them know about all this?? We gave her a week to possibly clear her mind and come back but it appears she is wanting to stay away. 

I know there will be gaps in information I just entered here so I will answer questions as best as I can. Just not sure what my next step should be. First file a police report to report her missing? 

With all the information I have gathered since summer, I'm possibly thinking this could turn out to be fraud. It's a long story and a rabbit hole so this is what I have for now that is relevant.

Timeline
20 minutes ago, Boiler said:

She does not need you to remove conditions 

Focus on the divorce and distancing yourself from this mess

Do you have a lawyer?

Yes. And I'm not worries about her status. I'm just wondering if she should be reported as missing to the police and if there is a way to help her father know if she left the country. I'm doing this to help him as they have not heard from her. That's why I wondered if there was a way to know through the I-94. But I only have the old passport info. But if no way, then at least I tried is all.

Edited by ImagineMe
Misspell

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You have S Korea as your flag but seem they are from China?

I would ask your divorce lawyer tomorrow if there is anything you should do as far as the Police is concerned. No way you can tell if she left and unclear as to why you think this is possible.

The Father and Brother situation is another whole mess, converting to Christianity to claim asylum, and somebody fleeing prosecution? But this is not really your question.

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Yes she moved from China to live in South Korea and became a citizen there when I met her. So we went through Seoul for her K1.

And yes, it's a complete mess and as I said, a deep rabbit hole. While I don't want anymore to do with whatever they are doing, I wanted to at least help them figure out what to do next as it seems she abandoned her own family. They still own a house there in Jeju, so I suppose they will just go there as they only have until December before their 6 months is up on their tourist visa.

Timeline
53 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I would ask your divorce lawyer tomorrow if there is anything you should do as far as the Police is concerned. No way you can tell if she left and unclear as to why you think this is possible.

Because the I-94 would tell me if she left or not. But I don't have the new passport info. She has a sister going to a university in South Korea like she did herself and they still own a dwelling there in Jeju. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

Do you know for sure she left you on her own merits? If not, the least thing you could do is file a police report. She could be in trouble and nobody is helping.

If you know she's safe and just wanted to get away from you then yea, go see your lawer and get the divorce process started. Unless you have solid evidence for potential fraud there is no need to call immigration. 

48 minutes ago, ImagineMe said:

Because the I-94 would tell me if she left or not. But I don't have the new passport info. She has a sister going to a university in South Korea like she did herself and they still own a dwelling there in Jeju. 

It's not legal to check the I-94 of someone else.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

My understanding is that you need the passport number which seems you do not have,  Have you contacted her sister, presumably she would know.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
7 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Do you know for sure she left you on her own merits? If not, the least thing you could do is file a police report. She could be in trouble and nobody is helping.

If you know she's safe and just wanted to get away from you then yea, go see your lawer and get the divorce process started. Unless you have solid evidence for potential fraud there is no need to call immigration. 

Yeah only their own story of what's going on. But I'm not worried about what her and immigration will have to deal with if she were to stay. I started the divorce process and trying to get things in line to fight to keep the house.

7 hours ago, Jorgedig said:

It's not legal to check the I-94 of someone else.

Yet I had to do that in order to get the AoS done? 

Timeline
7 hours ago, Boiler said:

My understanding is that you need the passport number which seems you do not have,  Have you contacted her sister, presumably she would know.

Possibly but I won't worry about it if I have to go to that length. It would have helped find some closure. But we will just wait and see what will happen in the divorce process.

1 hour ago, ImagineMe said:

Yeah only their own story of what's going on. But I'm not worried about what her and immigration will have to deal with if she were to stay. I started the divorce process and trying to get things in line to fight to keep the house.

Yet I had to do that in order to get the AoS done? 

She would have, in theory, authorized or checked her own travel record for that.   It does ask you to attest to being the passport holder when you check the record.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sounds like an unfortunate mess. The parents immigration issue is not yours. Just get them a competent lawyer to handle their affairs. If her parents can return to Jebu legally, I think they really have no claim to asylum here.

It doesn’t appear to me you have an immigration problem. What you have is a family/divorce problem with a lady that either doesn’t want to stay married or understand what marriage involves, or worse still but hopefully not a person who is in danger and missing.

As to blocking, you can get a burner phone for $15 and text her you are planning to report her as missing to the police. If she replies with some definite proof she’s the person replying and not in danger you don’t proceed with that course of action.

Good luck!

Just another random guy from the internet with an opinion, although usually backed by data!

ᴀ ᴄɪᴛɪᴢᴇɴ ᴏғ ᴛʜᴇ ᴡᴏʀʟᴅ 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
11 hours ago, ImagineMe said:

Yes she moved from China to live in South Korea and became a citizen there when I met her. So we went through Seoul for her K1.

And yes, it's a complete mess and as I said, a deep rabbit hole. While I don't want anymore to do with whatever they are doing, I wanted to at least help them figure out what to do next as it seems she abandoned her own family. They still own a house there in Jeju, so I suppose they will just go there as they only have until December before their 6 months is up on their tourist visa.

Both China and Korea do not allow dual citizenship.  She would have had to renounce her Chinese citizenship when she became a Korean citizen, unless she obtained it as a spouse of a Korean national.

It seems odd that she was able to renew her Chinese passport after becoming a Korean citizen.  "Article 9 Any Chinese national who has settled abroad and who has been naturalized as a foreign national or has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will shall automatically lose Chinese nationality."  She would have had to deceive the Chinese government.  There is something more to this story.

Timeline

Hmm I didn't know that. Maybe I misunderstood but thought she said she had the credit with Korea to become a citizen. They own a home on the ocean in Jeju. Maybe she didn't become a citizen but own the home? Not sure what the laws are there for owning something while not a citizen. 

Luckily I don't have to deal with it anymore as far as I'm concerned. That's why I mentioned this whole thing is a rabbit hole that I dont want to go down. Do t know how she could pursue her greencard if there is an interview as the notifications are mailed to the house. Even if there is no interview, it will be mailed to the house as well. I wonder if by that time I should contact immigration if she hasn't come back and setup to return the card? For now, I'm waiting for the divorce to play out. I'm totally done with being a roommate in a marriage.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.