ImagineMe

Possible abandonment of marriage

46 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
2 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

Both China and Korea do not allow dual citizenship.  She would have had to renounce her Chinese citizenship when she became a Korean citizen, unless she obtained it as a spouse of a Korean national.

It seems odd that she was able to renew her Chinese passport after becoming a Korean citizen.  "Article 9 Any Chinese national who has settled abroad and who has been naturalized as a foreign national or has acquired foreign nationality of his own free will shall automatically lose Chinese nationality."  She would have had to deceive the Chinese government.  There is something more to this story.

I once had a girlfriend who held both Chinese and SK passports, it's technically possible. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Greece
Timeline
4 hours ago, African Zealot said:

Sounds like an unfortunate mess. The parents immigration issue is not yours. Just get them a competent lawyer to handle their affairs. If her parents can return to Jebu legally, I think they really have no claim to asylum here.

It doesn’t appear to me you have an immigration problem. What you have is a family/divorce problem with a lady that either doesn’t want to stay married or understand what marriage involves, or worse still but hopefully not a person who is in danger and missing.

As to blocking, you can get a burner phone for $15 and text her you are planning to report her as missing to the police. If she replies with some definite proof she’s the person replying and not in danger you don’t proceed with that course of action.

Good luck!

However, since they live in your house you are responsible too in my opinion.So, if I were you, I would not “cover” them or you run the risk of being also involved in their (or what seems to be as) fraud.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline
16 hours ago, ImagineMe said:

I'm going to try and shave this post to get to the points needed. 

Basically wife left with her friends Sunday Sept 26th to have dinner with her them that was turning out to be an all night thing( she did this the night before as well with different friends and didn't come home until mid day Sunday the 26th) and I told her to come back home. She became defiant and hasn't come back home since. Her father and brother are also here staying with me since their arrival in June. She blocked me, her mother and father, and brother on wechat because they are part of the problem with being pressured on various things, such as trying to immigrate her brother by means of a lawyer to have him become a Christian to use the asylum clause and remain in the US. She brought her father here because he fled China due to fraud and cannot go back as he will face the court. 

So she is escaping everyone due to all the pressures and had mentioned that she may do this. So I was always trying to make things easier on her and get her a psychologist to talk to as she asked for.

I have my lawyer starting a divorce but she may default on that as she doesn't want to be found.

She got a new passport from China in 2019 as her old one expired. So I do not have the info on that passport so I can look up the I-94 info to see if she left the country. The application for the 10 year greencard didn't require the passport so I need to know if there is a way to find out? I imagine I should call immigration to let them know about all this?? We gave her a week to possibly clear her mind and come back but it appears she is wanting to stay away. 

I know there will be gaps in information I just entered here so I will answer questions as best as I can. Just not sure what my next step should be. First file a police report to report her missing? 

With all the information I have gathered since summer, I'm possibly thinking this could turn out to be fraud. It's a long story and a rabbit hole so this is what I have for now that is relevant.

It sounds like she may be having a mental health crisis from the pressures in her life. Are you sure you are ready to give up on her? 

I would try to get her home and try to address the issues going on.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline
5 minutes ago, davidvs said:

It sounds like she may be having a mental health crisis from the pressures in her life. Are you sure you are ready to give up on her? 

I would try to get her home and try to address the issues going on.

We have been trying on that front and she had access to a psychologist. Plus there were signs that she never showed much care in the past such as posting about our relationship on her wechat( pretty sure she used a 2nd account), she never wanted me to go with her and her friends for anything because it was an inconvenience because they would have to speak English. There are alot of signs looking back that I don't believe she wanted to get married but was pressured to do so. On top of that, I have no clue where she is and all communication has been blocked, including on her family. So she doesn't want to be found.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline
6 hours ago, ImagineMe said:

Yet I had to do that in order to get the AoS done? 

She should have done that herself for her own AOS. Either way, once a greencard holder the i-94 records often don't show the travels anymore, so that may not work anyway. Not a single one of my trips show up since I became a greencard holder. 

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Scandi said:

She should have done that herself for her own AOS. Either way, once a greencard holder the i-94 records often don't show the travels anymore, so that may not work anyway. Not a single one of my trips show up since I became a greencard holder. 

Ok. My attorney is going to try to serve her the papers so we are trying to see any way we can contact her. I left texts, and even called but she never setup her voicemail. That's why we wondered if she left for Korea where her sister is as they are close.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Ask her  Brother or Father to contact her sister

Your lawyer will know what is required to serve her if she can not be traced 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
17 hours ago, ImagineMe said:

Yes. And I'm not worries about her status. I'm just wondering if she should be reported as missing to the police and if there is a way to help her father know if she left the country. I'm doing this to help him as they have not heard from her. That's why I wondered if there was a way to know through the I-94. But I only have the old passport info. But if no way, then at least I tried is all.

YES , make a report of a missing person!!!   It may come in handy if USCIS comes to your door for some reason or another.

Especially if she does AOS herself.  Doubt she left the country,   did you question her friends?

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
4 hours ago, ImagineMe said:

Do t know how she could pursue her greencard if there is an interview as the notifications are mailed to the house. Even if there is no interview, it will be mailed to the house as well.

She can continue the ROC process with a divorce waiver on her own.  She can and maybe already has filed a change of address notice with USCIS so her interview notice, or notice of the interview waiver, and eventually her 10-year green card, will be sent to her new address.  So sorry you are going through this.  Filing for a divorce with no knowledge of where she is can be difficult, but not impossible.  Your divorce attorney will know the procedure which varies depending on your state divorce laws.  I hope you can move past all of this drama and heal.  Good luck to you in the future!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
31 minutes ago, Beth & Achraf said:

Especially if she does AOS herself.

She can’t AOS by herself (well, she could with VAWA). But she’s filing for ROC

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline
41 minutes ago, Beth & Achraf said:

YES , make a report of a missing person!!!   It may come in handy if USCIS comes to your door for some reason or another.

Especially if she does AOS herself.  Doubt she left the country,   did you question her friends?

She isn't friends with anyone that I talk to currently. That's what made me wonder why she would never ask me or let me come with her to those "dinners" or hangouts. But I always give someone their space. I just expect people to reciprocate and she never did. So the writing was on the wall. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, ra0010 said:

Hi there! I am so sorry that you are in this situation. I think that you’ve been given very solid advice! 
I cannot stress how important it is that you DO NOT check on her i94 form. These are federal documents, and you can get in trouble for doing that without her consent. I know you have a good heart in doing it, but as @African Zealot has said, the best thing to do is to get a burner phone and text her something like “I don’t want to keep you in our marriage if you don’t want to, but if you don’t respond within (insert time frame) with (say for example her birthday, something that she’ll know) I’ll file a police report for your safety. I have also started divorce proceedings” and then you move on with your life. Work on you. She doesn’t need you to remove conditions. You don’t have to contact immigration; just receive whatever mail she gets (don’t open it!) and that’s it. Move on.

Also, I would tell your lawyer about the father- brother situation (them living with you ). I’m all about helping people, but it seems that there might be some fraud involved, so I would make sure they leave my house by a certain deadline. Just my two cents. 

She does have her phone with her and it's still active as I control the account and also have her brother on it. It's only way besides an email that I can contact her. So I've left a couple of texts just asking if she planned on coming home and a separate one later saying that I'm filing for divorce and would like to get her the documents needed.  I don't know what's happening on her end, but I know I did everything as right as I've known throughout the marriage to be respectful and give space. Just sad to see it come to this. But I'm prepared to move on.

Edited by ImagineMe
Misspell

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
44 minutes ago, ImagineMe said:

She does have her phone with her and it's still active as I control the account and also have her brother on it. It's only way besides an email that I can contact her. So I've left a couple of texts just asking if she planned on coming home and a separate one later saying that I'm filing for divorce and would like to get her the documents needed.  I don't know what's happening on her end, but I know I did everything as right as I've known throughout the marriage to be respectful and give space. Just sad to see it come to this. But I'm prepared to move on.

I understand that and I’m sure that deep down she does too. I would still file a police report for a missing person, for peace of mind. Hopefully not, but maybe she’s in danger and needs the help. So I would send her a text like I told you. And after that I’d give it a closure and move on. Her immigration path is now hers.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.