ImagineMe

Possible abandonment of marriage

46 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2021 at 1:34 PM, ImagineMe said:

She isn't friends with anyone that I talk to currently. That's what made me wonder why she would never ask me or let me come with her to those "dinners" or hangouts. But I always give someone their space. I just expect people to reciprocate and she never did. So the writing was on the wall. 

I'm really sorry this happened to you.

Sounds like some signs were there, but you trusted,   like we all do , and get hurt.

Formally Known as Paris Heart   A long, long time ago       france paris GIF

N-400  APPLIED FOR CITIZENSHIP:    Interview will be Houston Tx office.

Mailed:  11/13/2023

Delivered to USCIS Lock Box:  11/15/2023

Credit Card payment processed:  11-16-2023

Received Receipt #   via Text:  11-17-2023

I-797C Receipt received:  11-27-2023

Biometrics  will be reused per letter: 11-27-2023

FILED  AOS FROM AN EXPIRED VISITORS VISA:

Sent: 9/12/16: I-130 + I-485 + I-765 (USPS)

Delivered: Sept. 15th 2016 to Chicago Lock Box

Interview Feb  21st, 2018 for I-485

Interview  May 13th, 2019 for I-130 Stokes interview ( 2 minutes)

NOID issued May 17th 2019

June 5th,2019   USCIS received my response on the  NOID// Addressed the NOID myself, No lawyer ever used in case.

July 1st, 2019  10 YEAR GREEN CARD APPROVED

July 5th, 2019   Approval letters for I-130 & I-485 received in the USPS  mail.

July 11th 2019   Green Card in Hand

happy tom and jerry GIF

Filed: E-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

One thing I did before proposing was ask my GF if she would rather live in the USA or the Philippines. She said "either one as long as we are together" and later said she is curious about the USA but if she were forced to choose she would stay in the Phil's.

I felt confident she had no bad intentions based on our conversations BEFORE I proposed to her.

Good luck.

11 hours ago, JeneferAndJohn said:

One thing I did before proposing was ask my GF if she would rather live in the USA or the Philippines. She said "either one as long as we are together" and later said she is curious about the USA but if she were forced to choose she would stay in the Phil's.

I felt confident she had no bad intentions based on our conversations BEFORE I proposed to her.

Good luck.

Not to sound cynical but, I know a few people who are super interested in moving to the States and play the long game and state they have no interest in living in the States/ spin the "as long as we're together I'll be happy" line. Did you/she ever investigate what it would take for you to move to the Phils or was it only ever an academic exercise?

The truth is if you are marrying someone you've only ever been with for short amounts of time whilst on vacation, you'll never know their true intentions/ what they're like in day to day life until you live with them. And then if the marriage does break down after a year or two you might assume the beneficiary only used you for Green Card. But it could just be the natural breakdown of a relationship after a highly stressful immigration experience (because moving countries is definitely stressful). It's great to feel like you "did it right" but deciding to marry some from another culture and country comes with difficulties you don't encounter when marrying someone from the same country.

@ImagineMe it sounds like you and your wife are in a very stressful situation right now. If you haven't already I would file a missing person's report. She might be having a mental health breakdown and if you still care for her, you'll know you did all you could to save the relationship. 

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Yeah she definitely isn't missing as she responded to the email my lawyer sent her with a lawyer of her own. She just isn't communicating which is unfortunate. I don't know her plans but I'm doing my own from here on out. It's likely we will be selling the house we bought together, so I'm packing non essential stuff in preparation. 

2 minutes ago, ImagineMe said:

Yeah she definitely isn't missing as she responded to the email my lawyer sent her with a lawyer of her own. She just isn't communicating which is unfortunate. I don't know her plans but I'm doing my own from here on out. It's likely we will be selling the house we bought together, so I'm packing non essential stuff in preparation. 

I'm sorry this is happening to you. So stressful.

But, it's good to know she is communicating with you even if it is only through lawyers. 

Wishing you strength, a quick sale on your house and a pain free divorce. 

@ImagineMe to get the I-94 you need her new passport information and honestly im not surprised about this situation since china is in the top 10 of countries of high marriage fraud to get greencard, sorry this happened to you.

But if he has the temporary green card or the 10 year green card you definitely has to call USCIS because if you dont call when you report taxes you will have to do it as married and remember that when I file the affidavit of support you are responsible for this person for 10 years or until they become citizen, so yeah YOU HAVE TO LET THEM KNOW. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Mer18 said:

call when you report taxes you will have to do it as married

My understanding is that he’ll file as “married filing separately “ until he has the divorce decree. Then he can file as single.

15 minutes ago, Mer18 said:

so yeah YOU HAVE TO LET THEM KNOW. 

He doesn’t need to contact USCIS. Divorce doesn’t end the affidavit responsibilities .

When she files for ROC, she’ll say they are divorced and she’ll have to mail the divorce decree. That’s how USCIS will know.

FROM F1 TO AOS

October 17, 2019 AOS receipt date 

December 09, 2019: Biometric appointment

January 15, 2020 RFE received

January 30, 2020  RFE response sent

Feb 7: EAD approved and interview scheduled

March 18, 2020 Interview cancelled

April 14th 2020: RFE received

April 29, 2020 Approved without interview

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

February 1, 2022 package sent

March 28, 2022 Fingerprints reused

July 18, 2023 approval

July 20, 2023 Card in hand

N400 

January 30,2023: Online filing

February 4th, 2023: Biometric appointment

June 15th, 2023: Case actively being reviewed

July 11th, 2023: Interview scheduled.

August 30th, 2023: Interview!

August 31st, 2023: Oath ceremony scheduled.

Sept 19th, 2023: Officially a US citizen!

Timeline

The ROC was filed Nov 2020 and she did her biometrics a month ago. So I'm just waiting to see if they schedule an interview or just send her card. Also waiting to see if I find out what she plans on doing whether it's staying or going back where she was living before  which was in South Korea where her sister is currently. Plus they still own a home there. Not worried about the I94 anymore since I know where she is generally. I had the GPS on her car through the investigator and retrieved it.

Edited by ImagineMe
Add info

Timeline
10 minutes ago, ImagineMe said:

The ROC was filed Nov 2020 and she did her biometrics a month ago. So I'm just waiting to see if they schedule an interview or just send her card. Also waiting to see if I find out what she plans on doing whether it's staying or going back where she was living before  which was in South Korea where her sister is currently. Plus they still own a home there. Not worried about the I94 anymore since I know where she is generally. I had the GPS on her car through the investigator and retrieved it.

If they schedule an interview and she never told them you were divorced , she is going to get denied because if you file jointly, the two of you are excepted to show up for the interview. 
On a personal note, I wouldn’t even bother retrieving her gps. It sounds a little intrusive and for better or worse, she had decided to move on.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

Timeline
Just now, ra0010 said:

If they schedule an interview and she never told them you were divorced , she is going to get denied because if you file jointly, the two of you are excepted to show up for the interview. 
On a personal note, I wouldn’t even bother retrieving her gps. It sounds a little intrusive and for better or worse, she had decided to move on.

I had already retrieved it because I had all the evidence I needed to make my decision. I want to use it on my own vehicle in case it ever gets stolen and I can recover it. 

Timeline
Just now, Mer18 said:

You both have to go to ROC interview 

Not necessarily. If they are divorced she can go to the interview by herself, provided she has submitted the divorce decree.

FROM F1 TO AOS

May 1, 2020 Card in hand

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS

July 18, 2023 approval

N400 

22 minutes ago, ra0010 said:

Not necessarily. If they are divorced she can go to the interview by herself, provided she has submitted the divorce decree.

As long as the divorce is finalized by the time the interview arrives she should able to ROC with sufficient marital evidence. 

If the divorce is not finalized, ROC could be refused. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**One non-contributory post removed. Post constructively or your post will be removed. Remember to heed the VJ Terms of Service.**

VJ Moderation

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.