Captain Ewok

Canada Opens Border for Non-Essential Travel for Vaccinated Individuals

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Canada lifted its prohibition on Americans crossing the border to shop, vacation or visit on Monday while the United States is maintaining similar restrictions for Canadians, part of a bumpy return to normalcy from COVID-19 travel bans.

U.S. citizens and legal residents must be both fully vaccinated and test negative for COVID-19 within three days to get across one of the world's longest and busiest land borders, and Canadian officials warn they won't sacrifice safety for shorter border waits. Travelers also must fill out a detailed application on the arriveCAN app before crossing.

Effective Sept 7th, all other foreign nationals will be eligible.

Full details:

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

and another news clip:

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Just to add, there is also an arrival test that is required.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 hours ago, Dashinka said:

BuT tHE vaCCIneS WoRK!

But seriously looking at the linked page from OP, it appears that the testing is simple enough to arrange. The airports and land border stations have on site  testing or the CBSA officer can issue a home testing kit.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
48 minutes ago, Mike E said:

BuT tHE vaCCIneS WoRK!

But seriously looking at the linked page from OP, it appears that the testing is simple enough to arrange. The airports and land border stations have on site  testing or the CBSA officer can issue a home testing kit.  

Yes, it looks like it will be fairly simple.  I wonder what the cost will be.  I know my wife needed a test for a recent trip and it was $150 out-of-pocket.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are heading tomorrow and crossing at Blaine. I will keep you posted here.

So far:

Uploaded to ArriveCan app (new version is needed)

Proof of Vaccine

Proof of negative test within 72 hours

Puppy has rabies document (not really part of the covid deal but the family is dying to meet him)

Last month we went up as Citizens(no quarantine) and the kinks were getting worked out in proof of Vaccine and the test at the border. We took the swabs with us and fedex took them.

Here's hoping the long lines are done.

Timeline
On 8/9/2021 at 11:47 PM, Dashinka said:

Not a big deal, when we went last month they told us the nurse went home and gave us the self admin kit.

Timeline
22 hours ago, Dashinka said:

Yes, it looks like it will be fairly simple.  I wonder what the cost will be.  I know my wife needed a test for a recent trip and it was $150 out-of-pocket.

What health plan is that under? We paid zero.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

What health plan is that under? We paid zero.

The health plan where a Covid19 test is required simply for travel purposes.  Not sure what health plan you have that covers voluntary Covid19 testing without any symptoms, but it is what it is.  We even looked at the local CVS/Rite-Aid/Walgreens, and all of them are now asking the question if the testing is solely for travel purposes.  We could have gotten away with a $10 discount (meaning $140 instead of $150) at CVS, but they would not guarantee the results timing.

Edited by Dashinka

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

The health plan where a Covid19 test is required simply for travel purposes.  Not sure what health plan you have that covers voluntary Covid19 testing without any symptoms, but it is what it is.  We even looked at the local CVS/Rite-Aid/Walgreens, and all of them are now asking the question if the testing is solely for travel purposes.  We could have gotten away with a $10 discount (meaning $140 instead of $150) at CVS, but they would not guarantee the results timing.

United Health Care High deductible.  This is our second set of tests.  I am not sure if it is funded by the state but anyone can walk up at anytime and get a test. They only ask you the standard symptom tests, no qualifiers.  All results in 24 hours. If you dont have insurance, you wont pay anything.  I don't know what arrangements insurance has with the county for payment.

I avoid CVS lik the plague ( no pun intended)

Timeline
On 8/11/2021 at 8:14 AM, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

We are heading tomorrow and crossing at Blaine. I will keep you posted here.

So far:

Uploaded to ArriveCan app (new version is needed)

Proof of Vaccine

Proof of negative test within 72 hours

Puppy has rabies document (not really part of the covid deal but the family is dying to meet him)

Last month we went up as Citizens(no quarantine) and the kinks were getting worked out in proof of Vaccine and the test at the border. We took the swabs with us and fedex took them.

Here's hoping the long lines are done.

Follow-up review. 

We crossed today at the Blaine Pacific truck crossing. All lanes were very short but we were in the Nexus Lane with two cars ahead. We arrived at straight up noon. We had uploaded the vaccine and test results from two days ago into ArriveCan app and they did not ask for the printed version (I still recommend printouts) When he told us we were good to go I was surprised and asked about the nasal swab at the border. "Nope, not needed". Didn't  ask for a quarantine plan either.  Very anticlimactic.

Edited by Crtcl Rice Theory

On 8/10/2021 at 12:09 PM, Dashinka said:

That's pretty steep for an added travel cost. I'm kind of surprised they're opening up during the middle of this Delta variant business.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I called my insurance company and it is covered, however not all may be covered, I will be having it done at my Dr's office which is in network.

I am getting a swab on Thursday morning as I am going to cross at Sweetgrass/Coutts on Saturday morning.  First time I have crossed since this all began, so I will update how it goes next week when I get back.  Not sure yet what I need to show Border Services, but hoping I get an email from my Dr's office and I will print that.  Unfortunately, I can't play with the CanArrive app to see.  I do have a call into CBSA in Alberta, so we will see what they say.

K-1 journey, AOS/EAD and ROC in my timeline

2011 March 31 - Sent off Naturalization pkg overnight to Texas

2011 April 1 - Arrived in Texas at 10:21 am

2011 April 1 - NOA (rec'd via snail mail April 8)

2011 April 7 - Cheque cashed

2011 May 5 - Biometrics (letter rec'd via snail mail April 15)

2011 May 9 - Placed in line for interview scheduling

2011 June 13 - Rec'd yellow letter (no change in status online)

2011 June 23 - Rec'd text that my case has been scheduled for interview

2011 August 1 - Interview (rec'd via snail mail June 27) PASSED

2011 August 3 - Rec'd email that my case has been scheduled for Oath

2011 September 1 - Oath ceremony (rec'd snail mail Aug 5)

2011 September 1 - All done, yeah.

Just some recent experience info. Crossed this Sunday at Sumas WA. The Abbotsford-Huntingdon location. Used the ArriveCAN app which they noted after looking at our nexus cards. Only thing needed to see was our Covid tests which had done for free at CVS the previous Thursday. Only extra thing though, we were randomly selected for a day 1 take home Covid test. It had to be done within 24 hours of arrival and sent back within 48 hours of arrival. You must use the MS teams app, video both ways so they can walk you thru the process and see if you’re doing it right. All in all not too bad. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.