Captain Ewok

Canada Opens Border for Non-Essential Travel for Vaccinated Individuals

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
22 hours ago, Spencense said:

I'm kind of surprised they're opening up during the middle of this Delta variant business.

Likewise surprised and I don’t expect it to last.  

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
23 hours ago, Leafgal said:

I called my insurance company and it is covered, however not all may be covered, I will be having it done at my Dr's office which is in network.

I am getting a swab on Thursday morning as I am going to cross at Sweetgrass/Coutts on Saturday morning.  First time I have crossed since this all began, so I will update how it goes next week when I get back.  Not sure yet what I need to show Border Services, but hoping I get an email from my Dr's office and I will print that.  Unfortunately, I can't play with the CanArrive app to see.  I do have a call into CBSA in Alberta, so we will see what they say.

We uploaded a pdf of the test results and pdfs of our vaccination record.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have missed my Mom's dying and then her funeral and burial. Have not seen my daughter in almost 2 years now. I would like to go "home" to Canada for a visit. However, I am from Ontario and now there is going to be a "vaccine passport" required by folks in order to go to restaurants, bars etc. I cannot find anything about people who are visiting Ontario. Anyone else know about this?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
On 8/11/2021 at 11:16 AM, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

Not a big deal, when we went last month they told us the nurse went home and gave us the self admin kit.

That’s totally unacceptable for travel and especially immigration.  Anyone could self test their dog’s nostril.  It needs to be from a legit clinic meaning it is NOT free.  I’m getting triple screwed cuz I have to fly to Scotland (test 1), then take a 2nd day arrival test (test 2) then take a test to re-enter the USA (test 3): my entire trip is five days long.  Fully vaccinated. This goes against why we were all told to get vaccinated, but that’s a post for another day.

Don’t tell people that governments are accepting self testing kits (free from NHS, $20 or so in the States).  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/30/2021 at 5:03 PM, PBoland said:

That’s totally unacceptable for travel and especially immigration.  Anyone could self test their dog’s nostril.  It needs to be from a legit clinic meaning it is NOT free.  I’m getting triple screwed cuz I have to fly to Scotland (test 1), then take a 2nd day arrival test (test 2) then take a test to re-enter the USA (test 3): my entire trip is five days long.  Fully vaccinated. This goes against why we were all told to get vaccinated, but that’s a post for another day.

Don’t tell people that governments are accepting self testing kits (free from NHS, $20 or so in the States).  

Self test is accepted to return to the US.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

My understanding is that many of the home/self-test kits require you to perform the test on video with one of their people watching.

K-1                             AOS                            
NOA1 Notice Date: 2018-05-31    NOA1 Notice Date: 2019-04-11   
NOA2 Date: 2018-11-16           Biometrics Date: 2019-05-10    
Arrived at NVC:  2018-12-03     EAD/AP In Hand: 2019-09-16     
Arrived in Moscow: 2018-12-28   GC Interview Date: 2019-09-25      
Interview date: 2019-02-14      GC In Hand: 2019-10-02
Visa issued: 2019-02-28
POE: 2019-03-11
Wedding: 2019-03-14

ROC                             Naturalization
NOA1 Notice Date: 2021-07-16    Applied Online: 2022-07-09 (biometrics waived)
Approval Date: 2022-04-06       Interview was Scheduled: 2023-01-06
10-year GC In Hand: 2022-04-14  Interview date: 2023-02-13 (passed)
                            	Oath: 2023-02-13

Timeline
On 8/30/2021 at 2:03 PM, PBoland said:

I think you misunderstood the new protocol to enter Canada.

1. Use the arrivecan app 

2. Get a bonafide test and upload it to the app

3. Upload proof of vaccination (an image of your card or state transcript will suffice) make sure you note the date and lot #

4. Be prepared with a narrative about where you will quarantine if you have symptoms

In Washington state, the testing is free, we just drive to our local testing  station and never get out of the car. If you don't have insurance, they will not turn you away. 

When we crossed the border, there was not test needed based on their lottery system and our particulars. The testing was in full swing administration by nurses as needed, we just didn't.

I am not sure about dog DNA passing, or why someone with the kit would scam when you just have to swab your nose, but if they give you a take home kit at the border, it is not rocket science.

Timeline
On 8/31/2021 at 7:30 PM, Ayrton said:

Self test is accepted to return to the US.

For a land crossing, we were not asked for anything or even asked about symptoms.

On 9/1/2021 at 10:20 AM, DaveAndAnastasia said:

My understanding is that many of the home/self-test kits require you to perform the test on video with one of their people watching.

?

Timeline
On 8/29/2021 at 3:38 PM, camerica said:

I have missed my Mom's dying and then her funeral and burial. Have not seen my daughter in almost 2 years now. I would like to go "home" to Canada for a visit. However, I am from Ontario and now there is going to be a "vaccine passport" required by folks in order to go to restaurants, bars etc. I cannot find anything about people who are visiting Ontario. Anyone else know about this?

I am sorry you are separated from the ones you love.

Are you a Citizen of Canada? You just need to follow these steps

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-no-symptoms

If you plan to enter by air, rail or cruise ship, you need the vaccine for any travel. 

If you are a foreign national 

Are you vaccinated or can you get vaccinated? If you are not in a position to be vaccinated , you won't get in unless you have an essential visit.

Ontario: Doug Ford just changed his mind yesterday, you need a digital vaccine  passport to visit clubs , bars or sporting events. 

Edited by Crtcl Rice Theory

Timeline
1 hour ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

I am sorry you are separated from the ones you love.

Are you a Citizen of Canada? You just need to follow these steps

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/answers/citizen-no-symptoms

If you plan to enter by air, rail or cruise ship, you need the vaccine for any travel. 

If you are a foreign national 

Are you vaccinated or can you get vaccinated? If you are not in a position to be vaccinated , you won't get in unless you have an essential visit.

Ontario: Doug Ford just changed his mind yesterday, you need a digital vaccine  passport to visit clubs , bars or sporting events. 

I know what I have to do to go there. I had already researched it a while back. I have a few friends who went back to B.C. However, Ontario now has that vaccine passport. That is what I was stating in my post.  I cannot even go to a restaurant because I don't have it. He also, for some reason, wants people to have the "passport" AND Ontario Government issued ID. So, I won't be going back any time soon. It is getting to be a bit too much up there. I value the freedom I have here. 

Timeline
29 minutes ago, camerica said:

I know what I have to do to go there. I had already researched it a while back. I have a few friends who went back to B.C. However, Ontario now has that vaccine passport. That is what I was stating in my post.  I cannot even go to a restaurant because I don't have it. He also, for some reason, wants people to have the "passport" AND Ontario Government issued ID. So, I won't be going back any time soon. It is getting to be a bit too much up there. I value the freedom I have here. 

Ah , I misunderstood where you were coming from. I understand that most of the territories and provinces will have proof of vaccination required and digital passports soon, so this is not just an Ontario thing.  I don't know about the Ontario ID thing.. haven't heard that. 

But if you want to visit family badly enough... foregoing barhopping and clubbing might be the price.

Timeline
11 hours ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

Ah , I misunderstood where you were coming from. I understand that most of the territories and provinces will have proof of vaccination required and digital passports soon, so this is not just an Ontario thing.  I don't know about the Ontario ID thing.. haven't heard that. 

But if you want to visit family badly enough... foregoing barhopping and clubbing might be the price.

I read the Ontario news everyday. The Gov Id is a part of it. Also, I am not talking about barhopping and clubbing. Never stated that! You have to have this to go into restaurants as well. And we would be staying at a hotel and would be eating at restaurants. Going for coffee to Timmies etc. All I wanted to know in my initial post what others who might want to travel to Ontario thought that this passport vaccine meant for those of us who are from there and wanted to go back. Will wait for someone to experience this and state it here. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, camerica said:

I read the Ontario news everyday. The Gov Id is a part of it. Also, I am not talking about barhopping and clubbing. Never stated that! You have to have this to go into restaurants as well. And we would be staying at a hotel and would be eating at restaurants. Going for coffee to Timmies etc. All I wanted to know in my initial post what others who might want to travel to Ontario thought that this passport vaccine meant for those of us who are from there and wanted to go back. Will wait for someone to experience this and state it here. 

I want to make sure that someone reading your statement doesn't misunderstand the new rules which are about safely opening in the context of the Delta variant spreading.

The rule doesn't affect your access to the hotel or anyplace where you can wear a mask to use the service. It doesn't affect patio service or takeout. It does affect you ability to enjoy your double double while sitting in a Tim Hortons.  I don't have a need to visit Toronto soon but I do need to Visit Vancouver regularly and Montreal soon. Undoubtedly there will be some coordination across the provinces. 

A hassle, yes. But not as big a hassle as having an ad hoc set if rules different in every restaurant or town and definitely not as big of a hassle as getting Covid.

Timeline
On 8/16/2021 at 11:33 AM, Leafgal said:

I called my insurance company and it is covered, however not all may be covered, I will be having it done at my Dr's office which is in network.

I am getting a swab on Thursday morning as I am going to cross at Sweetgrass/Coutts on Saturday morning.  First time I have crossed since this all began, so I will update how it goes next week when I get back.  Not sure yet what I need to show Border Services, but hoping I get an email from my Dr's office and I will print that.  Unfortunately, I can't play with the CanArrive app to see.  I do have a call into CBSA in Alberta, so we will see what they say.

How did your trip go? 

Timeline
27 minutes ago, Crtcl Rice Theory said:

I want to make sure that someone reading your statement doesn't misunderstand the new rules which are about safely opening in the context of the Delta variant spreading.

The rule doesn't affect your access to the hotel or anyplace where you can wear a mask to use the service. It doesn't affect patio service or takeout. It does affect you ability to enjoy your double double while sitting in a Tim Hortons.  I don't have a need to visit Toronto soon but I do need to Visit Vancouver regularly and Montreal soon. Undoubtedly there will be some coordination across the provinces. 

A hassle, yes. But not as big a hassle as having an ad hoc set if rules different in every restaurant or town and definitely not as big of a hassle as getting Covid.

Okay.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.