Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

>>The police certificate from my home country had to be sent straight to the consulate (some law about the individual can’t receive it, only the government that is asking for it).

Is this requirement specific to your home country or relevant to all countries other than Canada? 

I got my police certificate from my home country but I received it directly and uploaded a scan of the envelope online (the envelope says once open it's void, so I didn't open) instead of having it directly sent to the consulate. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
5 minutes ago, Shumai84 said:

>>The police certificate from my home country had to be sent straight to the consulate (some law about the individual can’t receive it, only the government that is asking for it).

Is this requirement specific to your home country or relevant to all countries other than Canada? 

I got my police certificate from my home country but I received it directly and uploaded a scan of the envelope online (the envelope says once open it's void, so I didn't open) instead of having it directly sent to the consulate. 

Sorry, I should have clarified. This is a specific requirement from my home country, Israel. I assume each country have their own rules/laws about obtaining police certificates. If I had the option to get the certificate and not send it to the consulate directly I would have gone with that, I had a lot of sleepless nights worrying about it, a simple "yes, it's here" from the consulate would have been more than enough but you won't get it until your interview is scheduled.

Timeline
On 7/2/2021 at 12:59 AM, HD_BIRDS said:

I did mine from the US with commissionaires. It was really easy and they were very helpful when I had questions. They also reviewed my fingerprints before I mailed it so if they weren’t clear enough I could get them redone before mailing. 

I had the same experience with them. Would recommend.

Timeline

Congratulations @helloTdot and @NimF!

Thanks very much for the description of your experience. It is indeed helpful for us waiting in line. Special thanks for clarifying the Police Clearance Validity thing. Also, awesome that the two of you met :).

Timeline

Hi Everyone, 

So with Canada easing the restrictions for fully vaccinated Canadians returning to Canada, I am planning on coming back up for my sisters wedding at the end of July. 

My question is, I have my stamped visa in my passport from when I entered on my CR-1 but have not received my greencard yet. Will I have any issues coming back into the USA with just the visa in my passport? I don’t want to leave and then have the CBP at the border tell me I need my greencard to come back in or anything. I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine as it says the stamped visa page is proof of residency while waiting for greencard but I figured I would ask if anybody has done this and see what they say! 

thanks in advance! 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Lovewithoutborder said:

Hi Everyone, 

So with Canada easing the restrictions for fully vaccinated Canadians returning to Canada, I am planning on coming back up for my sisters wedding at the end of July. 

My question is, I have my stamped visa in my passport from when I entered on my CR-1 but have not received my greencard yet. Will I have any issues coming back into the USA with just the visa in my passport? I don’t want to leave and then have the CBP at the border tell me I need my greencard to come back in or anything. I’m pretty sure it’ll be fine as it says the stamped visa page is proof of residency while waiting for greencard but I figured I would ask if anybody has done this and see what they say! 

thanks in advance! 

You’ll be fine. There was lots of people that activated their visa and turned right around to tie up loose ends in Canada all with just a stamped passport

Timeline
5 minutes ago, State and Maine said:

You’ll be fine. There was lots of people that activated their visa and turned right around to tie up loose ends in Canada all with just a stamped passport

Great thank you! 

So I'm going to predict something based on the activity I see on the K-1 spreadsheet.  I might be way off but we'll see with the next batch of interviews.

We already know that they put us CR-1/IR-1 in the same tier with them. Now if you observe the number of interviews for the month of July, you would see its the same amount of interviews for both.

If you look at recent August interview letters sent out-You'd see a total of 20 entries. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yXsBaODEcERCnBkkVhTklmw1LrFVkY9dE6z2Q5D2kCc/edit#gid=1154446973

Now if you keep the whole cr-1= k-1

then we're about to see 20 interview letters sent out this month for August

Which would be for DQed dates from 22 SEP - 20 OCT

let's see if this is true! 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Mintaftertaste said:

So I'm going to predict something based on the activity I see on the K-1 spreadsheet.  I might be way off but we'll see with the next batch of interviews.

We already know that they put us CR-1/IR-1 in the same tier with them. Now if you observe the number of interviews for the month of July, you would see its the same amount of interviews for both.

If you look at recent August interview letters sent out-You'd see a total of 20 entries. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1yXsBaODEcERCnBkkVhTklmw1LrFVkY9dE6z2Q5D2kCc/edit#gid=1154446973

Let’s indeed see if this is true! Just crossed the St-Armand border by foot, in the rain, yesterday. So I would absolutely welcome that with open arms. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, Mintaftertaste said:

For this to be true, wouldn't we have to assume that the proportion of K1 applicants reporting on VJ spreadsheets relative to the total population of K1 applicants is the same as the proportion of CR-1/IR-1? Since I doubt the proportion of each group that is on VJ relative to the totals is the same, this may not be the most accurate way to predict, even if it is true that they are giving out the same number of interviews to each group each month. While I am sure we would all like this level of predictability, I think the reality is more complex, and it's hard to compare the two groups without significantly more data to draw from. (Sorry, math nerd here!).

Timeline
2 hours ago, HD_BIRDS said:

For this to be true, wouldn't we have to assume that the proportion of K1 applicants reporting on VJ spreadsheets relative to the total population of K1 applicants is the same as the proportion of CR-1/IR-1? Since I doubt the proportion of each group that is on VJ relative to the totals is the same, this may not be the most accurate way to predict, even if it is true that they are giving out the same number of interviews to each group each month. While I am sure we would all like this level of predictability, I think the reality is more complex, and it's hard to compare the two groups without significantly more data to draw from. (Sorry, math nerd here!).

I agree with this. The proportion of applicants on  the spreadsheet vs those in reality can't be relied upon. Further more, the number of applicants DQ'd per month may vary. There is also the factor of how many slots are available for filling in. There may be more in August if Montreal decides they can allow more people in the waiting rooms owing to the city going into green zone.

It's very hard to predict to such a degree of accuracy.

Timeline
26 minutes ago, Sunshine022 said:

Question:

Do I still need to renew my police clearance from my birth country (not Canada) even if I had not been home for the past three years? Thank you! 

No, if your country of residence is another country and you have not been to Canada in the last three years, you do not need an updated police clearance.

I assume you are not interviewing in Montreal right? You are interviewing in another country?

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: EB-3 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 6/30/2021 at 11:00 AM, From_CAN_2_US said:

That's good to know. I am a long way from becoming Canadian citizen, as I will only be applying in October. I guess I will call after I become a citizen.

I am in a similar situation. I was born in India and currently in Canada on a PR. I am eligible to apply for citizenship next month. Considering the wait times, below 2 things can happen:

1. I get US Green Card BEFORE Canadian citizenship

- In this case I am not sure if I have to notify US government that my citizenship has changed since for all my documentation while applying for Green Card I mentioned India as my citizenship

- To maintain green card, we need to have residency "Intent". Now, "intent" is vague IMO and can be interpreted multiple ways :) Will US government think that I forfeited my Green Card as I took citizenship of another country AFTER receiving green card (meaning I no longer have "Intent" of residence)???

2. I get US Green Card AFTER Canadian citizenship

- Since India doesn't allow dual citizenship, I will have to surrender my India passport. In this case what is the process to update DS-260? Since I am already DQ'ed, I am not sure if I have to contact NVC or show up for consulate appointment with Canadian passport?

@VIR CHAMP @From_CAN_2_US @ME_RHEDZ77

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline
13 minutes ago, viksaw said:

I am in a similar situation. I was born in India and currently in Canada on a PR. I am eligible to apply for citizenship next month. Considering the wait times, below 2 things can happen:

1. I get US Green Card BEFORE Canadian citizenship

- In this case I am not sure if I have to notify US government that my citizenship has changed since for all my documentation while applying for Green Card I mentioned India as my citizenship

- To maintain green card, we need to have residency "Intent". Now, "intent" is vague IMO and can be interpreted multiple ways :) Will US government think that I forfeited my Green Card as I took citizenship of another country AFTER receiving green card (meaning I no longer have "Intent" of residence)???

2. I get US Green Card AFTER Canadian citizenship

- Since India doesn't allow dual citizenship, I will have to surrender my India passport. In this case what is the process to update DS-260? Since I am already DQ'ed, I am not sure if I have to contact NVC or show up for consulate appointment with Canadian passport?

@VIR CHAMP @From_CAN_2_US @ME_RHEDZ77

When did you apply for Canadian citizenship? The applications are significantly backlogged due to Covid and I think people are waiting at least 12-24 months to be naturalized.

For case 1, no, as far as I know you can gain/lose citizenship without impacting your US residency. Think about cases whereby people acquire additional citizenships by getting the paperwork to derive it from grandparents (some countries allow this). Aside from this, I think it's reasonably common for people to become Canadian after moving to the US, you'll need to travel to Canada to do the oath (I think they're allowing virtual testing outside Canada now). But so long as you're actually living in the US, your residency should be absolutely fine. I don't think you need to notify USCIS aside from providing the info any further forms you may end up filing, but I don't think it could hurt to ask their helpline to confirm if you need to inform them of a change of citizenship.

In case 2, you'll probably need to inform NVC, but it shouldn't make a difference to your visa application, you'll just need to provide them the updated passport, given that your Indian one won't be valid anymore.

My case will likely be like your Case 1 as I filed for Canadian citizenship 2 weeks ago, I'll post on here how that goes. :)

Also, I imagine you're probably aware of this, but you'll probably want to acquire OCI status so you can have continued easy travel and stays in India.

Edited by Kai (CanadaDude)

Became Canadian PR: 11/11/2017

I-130 NOA1: 04/06/2020

I-130 NOA2: 08/11/2020

NVC IV Package Sent: 09/10/2020

NVC DQ: 09/23/2020

Applied for Canadian Citizenship: 06/24/2021

IV Interview @ MTL: 08/04/2021

POE: 08/09/2021

GC in hand: 12/24/2021

Became Canadian Citizen: 06/21/2022

I-751 Submitted: 06/08/2023

I-751 Approved: 04/27/2024

10Y GC Received: 05/11/2024

N-400 Submitted: 05/15/2024

My guide on Importing a Canadian Vehicle into the US using a Registered Importer: https://www.visajourney.com/wiki/importing-dot-non-compliant-canadian-vehicles-into-the-united-states-with-a-registered-importer-r135/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.