Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public part 3

2,934 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
21 hours ago, katelynns said:

I booked with Dr. Zatzman but was concerned when I saw this- so just letting anyone else who might be worried know! I asked Zatzmans office and they said since the government doesn’t require quarantine time if you’re fully vaccinated that they don’t either! 

Yes, we spoke with Dr. Cheema's office and they said as long as you're fully vaccinated and had a negative PCR test entering Canada, they will see you for the medical. 

Timeline

I'm crossing the border tomorrow at the Montreal airport 🎉. I have one question though, back then I did not check the option to generate the SSN number / card automatically at border crossing because the potential issue (don't generate SSN sometimes) would make me wait weeks if it ever happens. But the SSA ( I called the San Diego office) still forces people to wait for a while before being able to get an appointment there 😓😓...Is there a way to change the option that was on the DS260 at NVC stage by any chance ?

Thank you

Edited by T&S_MTL

Timeline
26 minutes ago, MiloPinkman said:

So no IL this month? is this normal?

ILs were issued last Tuesday morning until early Dec 2020 DQ

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline
3 hours ago, T&S_MTL said:

I'm crossing the border tomorrow at the Montreal airport 🎉. I have one question though, back then I did not check the option to generate the SSN number / card automatically at border crossing because the potential issue (don't generate SSN sometimes) would make me wait weeks if it ever happens. But the SSA ( I called the San Diego office) still forces people to wait for a while before being able to get an appointment there 😓😓...Is there a way to change the option that was on the DS260 at NVC stage by any chance ?

Thank you

Unfortunately no, I did the same thing and wasn't able to find a way around it. Do you mean they're still making people wait 14 days before they can get on the waitlist to schedule an appointment? That sucks. When you do get on the waitlist for an appointment, make sure you don't miss a single phone call until your appointment is scheduled because I did and they put me back to the end of the waitlist (at least until I called enough that they were able to find a cancellation for me to take hah!) This was Seattle not San Diego though so they might operate differently. The card does come quickly after though, mine took about a week. 

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline
8 minutes ago, DGF said:

Unfortunately no, I did the same thing and wasn't able to find a way around it. Do you mean they're still making people wait 14 days before they can get on the waitlist to schedule an appointment? That sucks. When you do get on the waitlist for an appointment, make sure you don't miss a single phone call until your appointment is scheduled because I did and they put me back to the end of the waitlist (at least until I called enough that they were able to find a cancellation for me to take hah!) This was Seattle not San Diego though so they might operate differently. The card does come quickly after though, mine took about a week. 

Thank you ! I will call back but the person on the phone was rude with my wife who called on my behalf. He said the wait was 4 weeks and also said it's impossible because I'm supposed to get the SSN generated automatically with the visa. The agent did not want to hear about our issues...a mess...she will try to call again the closest agency that the agent suggested. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
11 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

Thank you ! I will call back but the person on the phone was rude with my wife who called on my behalf. He said the wait was 4 weeks and also said it's impossible because I'm supposed to get the SSN generated automatically with the visa. The agent did not want to hear about our issues...a mess...she will try to call again the closest agency that the agent suggested. 

You can still work with your machine readable visa that's been activated.  If you google the instructions for USCIS form I-9, it states this information.  

As for the SSA offices, unfortunately, they seem to be lowest common denominator when it comes to what sort of training and knowledge is disseminated.  The local office tried to tell me that I couldn't apply for Kid2's SSN because we didn't have physical green card in hand.  It clearly states on the SSA page that the MRIV is perfectly acceptable and accepted even for replacement cards if you don't have a permanent I-551 card.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
2 minutes ago, mam521 said:

You can still work with your machine readable visa that's been activated.  If you google the instructions for USCIS form I-9, it states this information.  

As for the SSA offices, unfortunately, they seem to be lowest common denominator when it comes to what sort of training and knowledge is disseminated.  The local office tried to tell me that I couldn't apply for Kid2's SSN because we didn't have physical green card in hand.  It clearly states on the SSA page that the MRIV is perfectly acceptable and accepted even for replacement cards if you don't have a permanent I-551 card.  

This is insane...😓😓

Regarding form I-9, do you mean I won't have any trouble starting a new job by using the temporary visa in my passport, even if I'm still fighting to get my SSN ? That would be great..!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
3 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

Regarding form I-9, do you mean I won't have any trouble starting a new job by using the temporary visa in my passport, even if I'm still fighting to get my SSN ? That would be great..!

Exactly this.  Although the local HR might not be familiar, so I'd download the I-9 form instructions and show them.  

Happy job hunting :)

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
Just now, mam521 said:

Exactly this.  Although the local HR might not be familiar, so I'd download the I-9 form instructions and show them.  

Happy job hunting :)

This is great! Ok yes, to let them know it's possible if I run into any issues 😃😃

Thank you so much 🎉 !

Timeline
8 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

This is great! Ok yes, to let them know it's possible if I run into any issues 😃😃

Thank you so much 🎉 !

This is true, you don't need the SSN to start working. You are technically supposed to get it within 90 days. But when I started working on my TN the SSA offices were closed due to COVID and I didn't get the SSN for 8 months. It wasn't an issue, and my HR department was able to figure out a tax and benefits workaround.

wanted to give an update, we just got the email that my spouse's passport is being delivered!  in terms of wait times post interview, monday morning (sept 13) (interview was at 8:15) his status changed to Issued: necessary administrative processing, and then yesterday around 5pm est it changed to issued; final processing, and now today it is being shipped!  if this helps anyone :)

on the tracking website it still shows Appointment as our current status lol but also shows the tracking number, so not sure how up to date that field is!

Edited by Tswiftlover

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.