From_CAN_2_US

Good enough reason for expedite?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been mulling this over for a Long Time but haven’t acted on it because I think the answer is we don’t have a strong enough reason. That being said, we are reaching a point where it is becoming very very difficult for us, so I thought I would ask the opinion of folks here.

We are only recently DQ’d and have about a 9-12 month wait ahead of us with Montreal Consulate for the interview. I was wondering if we have any grounds to request an expedite?

My Husband (USC) suffers from depression and anxiety which was diagnosed when he was a teenager. He has learnt to Live with it but the last year has been especially tough on him. His cat, who was almost like a daughter to him had to be put down in April last year after battling cancer for a Long Time. Then his father passed away in July, again after battling cancer for a 4 years. My husband lives alone and works from home so because of COVID he went through all this while in isolation. Because of border restrictions and COVID, I couldn’t visit him. We were apart for 8 months At a stretch last year when he was going through the worst time of his life.

We managed to get married in October and applied for my immigration visa the next month thinking it would be a 11 month process. But now it is looking to be closer to 20 months.

He did not have the support system he needed when he was going through this difficult time last year because I couldn’t be with him. He tells me, and I can see, not having someone there with him has robbed him of his ability to grieve and heal properly. The rest of his family had their spouses with them and they have managed to get through it healthily. But I see him broken, and I feel like it’s only getting worse....

Now his mother has been diagnosed with  cardiac issues and she went through surgery 3 weeks ago. Luckily, she got through it fine and is recovering, but again, it’s been hard on my husband. I think he is unable to deal because he is still traumatised by the death of his father.

I don’t want to get into details of how it has affected him, his ability to just get through the day, but I am worried for him. I want to be there for him...

Would the consulate consider any of this a valid reason for an expedite? 

I feel a little ashamed asking, because I know everyone has their own reasons why they MUST be with their spouse and I do feel guilty for wanting to skip the queue. But for me, it’s getting very very hard to see my husband suffering this way, so I simply wanted to ask if there is any chance...

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

You do not need much evidence to seek an expedite, to get it approved you do and it sounds like the medical reports will be key.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You lose nothing by trying, and it sounds like it's definitely worth a shot. The good news (or bad news) is that the one suffering the hardship is the US citizen.

I wish you all the best, sounds like a really tough situation.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mollie09 said:

You lose nothing by trying, and it sounds like it's definitely worth a shot. The good news (or bad news) is that the one suffering the hardship is the US citizen.

I wish you all the best, sounds like a really tough situation.

Appreciate this. 

The irony is, while he wants me there for support, the immigration process to get me there has added to his stress,. And now for him to work with me to gather documents and make a case for the expedite will be additionally stressful. All this, while I think we all agree that the chances of it working is low. He is in a fragile state right now...I will talk to my husband to take a call together whether we should attempt the expedite.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Timeline

Could he move to Canada?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
23 minutes ago, Boiler said:

Could he move to Canada?

Actually back in 2019, our plan was for him to move to Canada by applying for Permanent Residency for him through me. That takes 18 to 24 months, but we were also considering him looking for jobs here that would get him here in the meantime with a work visa. But we abandoned the whole idea when he shared with me his fear of moving further away from his parents when his dad was sick at the time. He also finds comfort in the more rural, natural and quieter setting of New Hampshire where he lives. He finds Toronto stressful and being in big cities is not good for his mental health. We decided then that I would move to him instead.

In Hindsight, I am glad he didn't move, because in 2020 his father's health deteriorated rapidly and he might not have been able to be there with him in his final days. And now he is able to drive to NY to be there for his mother when she needs support such as when she had surgery recently.

Also, at this point moving on a work visa would not make sense, because he has a good job in the US which he doesn't want to leave when the ultimate goal is for us to settle there...

I think if we decide to not apply for expedite or get denied the expedite, we have to just bite the bullet and wait it out...

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
16 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I have been mulling this over for a Long Time but haven’t acted on it because I think the answer is we don’t have a strong enough reason. That being said, we are reaching a point where it is becoming very very difficult for us, so I thought I would ask the opinion of folks here.

We are only recently DQ’d and have about a 9-12 month wait ahead of us with Montreal Consulate for the interview. I was wondering if we have any grounds to request an expedite?

My Husband (USC) suffers from depression and anxiety which was diagnosed when he was a teenager. He has learnt to Live with it but the last year has been especially tough on him. His cat, who was almost like a daughter to him had to be put down in April last year after battling cancer for a Long Time. Then his father passed away in July, again after battling cancer for a 4 years. My husband lives alone and works from home so because of COVID he went through all this while in isolation. Because of border restrictions and COVID, I couldn’t visit him. We were apart for 8 months At a stretch last year when he was going through the worst time of his life.

We managed to get married in October and applied for my immigration visa the next month thinking it would be a 11 month process. But now it is looking to be closer to 20 months.

He did not have the support system he needed when he was going through this difficult time last year because I couldn’t be with him. He tells me, and I can see, not having someone there with him has robbed him of his ability to grieve and heal properly. The rest of his family had their spouses with them and they have managed to get through it healthily. But I see him broken, and I feel like it’s only getting worse....

Now his mother has been diagnosed with  cardiac issues and she went through surgery 3 weeks ago. Luckily, she got through it fine and is recovering, but again, it’s been hard on my husband. I think he is unable to deal because he is still traumatised by the death of his father.

I don’t want to get into details of how it has affected him, his ability to just get through the day, but I am worried for him. I want to be there for him...

I feel a little ashamed asking, because I know everyone has their own reasons why they MUST be with their spouse and I do feel guilty for wanting to skip the queue. But for me, it’s getting very very hard to see my husband suffering this way, so I simply wanted to ask if there is any chance...

Go ahead and ask for an expedite. If they approve so be it.  Don't be ashamed for anything. America is the land of the brave for a reason

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Op, you may try for an expedite. All they can say is no. Your current position in line for an interview will not be affected if they say no.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Malta
Timeline

As @nastra30 said it won't affect your application if an expedition request is rejected.

It sounds like you have a good chance since the hardship is on the side of the USC, however you are at the mercy of the embassy. Make sure to get a letter confirming the diagnosis you mentioned (include it with your application) - they will want proof.

Wishing you the very best of luck!

USCIS

29 Apr 2020: I-130 filed online

11 Dec 2020: I-130 approved

NVC

17 Dec 2020: NVC Received

25 Jan 2021: Paid AOS and IV fees

14 Apr 2021: Submitted I-864, I-864A and DS-260

14 Apr 2021: Expedite request

04 May 2021: Expedite approved, case sent to Consulate in Naples, Italy

US Consulate Naples, Italy

04 May 2021: Consulate received

18 May 2021: Requested expedited interview

20 May 2021: Expedited interview approved and scheduled for 8th June

07 Jun 2021: Medical at Istituto Varelli (Naples, Italy) - Very friendly staff, spoke English

08 Jun 2021: Interview - APPROVED

09 Jun 2021: Picked up passport with Visa in person from Consulate 

USA

17 June 2021: Entered New York (JFK) as Point of Entry

17 June 2021: Landed in Arizona and reunited with my wife :) 

28 June 2021: Received Social Security Number

10 July 2021: Form I-551 (Green Card) marked as in production

15 July 2021: Form I-551 (Green Card) received in the post

Timeline

Sounds like the issue if getting the supporting medical evidence together.

@From_CAN_2_US, you could always reach out to your US Senator or congressperson. Just a thought. Either way, documentation is key in these situations. Wish you the best on your journey.

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
On 5/27/2021 at 9:25 PM, From_CAN_2_US said:

Hello, I’m pretty sure he’s suffering from ptsd. Is he in therapy? A therapist can write a letter on his behalf explaining how detrimental it is for him to have support through his grieving process.

Timeline
On 5/28/2021 at 12:01 PM, From_CAN_2_US said:

Appreciate this. 

The irony is, while he wants me there for support, the immigration process to get me there has added to his stress,. And now for him to work with me to gather documents and make a case for the expedite will be additionally stressful. All this, while I think we all agree that the chances of it working is low. He is in a fragile state right now...I will talk to my husband to take a call together whether we should attempt the expedite.

Hey so here is my story with that so far and where I am:

I have PTSD and my “temporary” living situation while waiting for my visa has become more and more complicated. I submitted for expedite in Jan-Feb on the grounds of my mental health from not having a support system, the mental health of my wife for being in total isolation for a year, and the financial burden of maintaining two households while navigating the pandemic. 

It was immediately rejected. To the point where I don’t even know if the actually took time to read it and consider or if it’s just some hazing ritual where they reject everyone first off no matter what. 

i didn’t give any specific diagnoses for mental health because it is SO stigmatized in the USA and they do not have the same protections for discrimination against people with mental health problems. I have started to develop heart and breathing problems do to the stress I’m under with my housing insecurity, family members here fighting terminal illness where I’m forced to be a support for them while I have no support for myself, and I have been reconsidering reapplying for expedition but have been warned against it because disclosing mental health issues could have consequences and that TERRIFIES me.

the Montreal Consulate is known only to expedite in cases of terminal health situations and even then most of us are sure at this point that they would deny us there too if they didn’t want to deal with our dead bodies. Like that’s the reputation of the Montreal Consulate. And that scares me, and I’m stuck considering reapplying for expedition due to the physical problems I’ve developed but if I have to disclose my mental health to do that? I don’t know… 

On 5/27/2021 at 10:36 PM, Boiler said:

You do not need much evidence to seek an expedite, to get it approved you do and it sounds like the medical reports will be key.

So our specific consulate in Canada absolutely needs it. It is one of the toughest consulates to get expedition for in the whole world. 

@Ife2020 Really? I saw your reply after I posted initially but I’ve been really scared of doing this because I don’t want to be rejected because I have PTSD. That would absolutely destroy me and I don’t think I could survive that.

Edited by aurmorr

IR1 - DQ Oct 16 2020

---

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet 
(follow instructions at the top of the page and DM @Hawk Riders to be added)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.