From_CAN_2_US

Good enough reason for expedite?

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, aurmorr said:

@Ife2020 Really? I saw your reply after I posted initially but I’ve been really scared of doing this because I don’t want to be rejected because I have PTSD. That would absolutely destroy me and I don’t think I could survive that.

Sorry to hear about your situation...

I am not very sure whether it is the applicant or the petitioner in your case that has PTSD. If it is the US citizen, then I do not think it would affect the application if you discloses the diagnosis. From what I understand, one need only be careful with mental health Issues on the part of the applicant, and even then The consequence would not be rejection but additional scrutiny during medicals.

I am not an expert Or experienced with this, so maybe others here can advise.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
18 hours ago, Ife2020 said:

Hello, I’m pretty sure he’s suffering from ptsd. Is he in therapy? A therapist can write a letter on his behalf explaining how detrimental it is for him to have support through his grieving process.

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t know if it is PTSD, and I hope not...but at the very least, he does not have a healthy environment to grieve.

He is not in therapy. He hasn’t been in years, not since he was in college. He says it didn’t help him much before and he didn’t like the way the medication made him feel, so he is trying to find other ways to manage his health. I have been talking to him for a while and suggesting he go back to therapy.... he is reluctant, but I think he maybe warming up to the idea.

I really appreciate all the understanding and support I am getting from everyone here!

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline
17 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Thanks for the advice.

I don’t know if it is PTSD, and I hope not...but at the very least, he does not have a healthy environment to grieve.

He is not in therapy. He hasn’t been in years, not since he was in college. He says it didn’t help him much before and he didn’t like the way the medication made him feel, so he is trying to find other ways to manage his health. I have been talking to him for a while and suggesting he go back to therapy.... he is reluctant, but I think he maybe warming up to the idea.

I really appreciate all the understanding and support I am getting from everyone here!

If he’s stressed, depressed and even having anxiety attacks due to a traumatic experience ...that’s ptsd. At least that’s what my therapist explained to me.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
On 5/31/2021 at 12:14 PM, From_CAN_2_US said:

Thanks for the advice.

Unfortunately, I think you're going to need the documentation from the doctor suggesting your presence is needed.  We had a list of reasons for expedite, including learning challenges for my kid and it was a no go with Montreal.  

As for his health - the therapist he saw previously may not have been a good fit.  He needs to find a good mental health professional who will dig in beyond "coffee talk" and really work to find some common ground.  Your relationship and it's health will, in large part, depend on this.  I speak from experience from a failed relationship due to these challenges.  Although I am not with my children's father, after 15 years, I know him well enough and he respects my opinion well enough that when I told him last year that he needed to speak to his doctor, he listened.  He's back on the *correct* medications (yes, this takes time and experimentation to find the correct combination) and back in therapy with a really excellent therapist and he is doing so much better.  His wife had no idea how "good" he could be because she hadn't been with him when he was really in a good place.  I want him to have all the success we didn't in his current marriage and sometimes that requires the village to steer the cart. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.