joe.b

Personal statements & K1 interview questions

18 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Our K1 petition got forwarded to the Mumbai consulate today. Hopefully looking toward an interview in the coming months, I have two separate questions.

1.) Is it strongly expected that both fiances will write statements about how they met and why they want to get married? I guess I had heard vaguely about doing this, but I hadn't seen that on any of the checklists in the K1 guide on this site, so I hadn't sent one with the initial I-129F packet and didn't include one in the recent packet of documents I sent my fiance in India. I have no problem writing one, but just want to get a sense of how important it might be.

2.) Does the CO who interviews the applicant know the answers to the questions they're asking? To give an example, I've seen a number of people say that they get asked about their fiance(e)'s parents, where the parents live, and what they do for work. I've wondered, though, how the CO would know the answer, because there's only pretty limited info about parents included on the I-129F. I ask because I (the U.S. petitioner) am estranged from my parents and have been for years, so my fiance has never met or communicated with them. Does the consulate just assume parents are in the picture, or do they only ask when the information has been indicated somewhere on the application?

1 hour ago, joe.b said:

Our K1 petition got forwarded to the Mumbai consulate today. Hopefully looking toward an interview in the coming months, I have two separate questions.

1.) Is it strongly expected that both fiances will write statements about how they met and why they want to get married? I guess I had heard vaguely about doing this, but I hadn't seen that on any of the checklists in the K1 guide on this site, so I hadn't sent one with the initial I-129F packet and didn't include one in the recent packet of documents I sent my fiance in India. I have no problem writing one, but just want to get a sense of how important it might be.  No.   It is recommended to write a new letter of intent to marry.

2.) Does the CO who interviews the applicant know the answers to the questions they're asking? To give an example, I've seen a number of people say that they get asked about their fiance(e)'s parents, where the parents live, and what they do for work. I've wondered, though, how the CO would know the answer, because there's only pretty limited info about parents included on the I-129F. I ask because I (the U.S. petitioner) am estranged from my parents and have been for years, so my fiance has never met or communicated with them. Does the consulate just assume parents are in the picture, or do they only ask when the information has been indicated somewhere on the application?  Background checks are part of the process, yes.

Timeline
33 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I appreciate your replying, but I think you misunderstood my first question, and I don't quite understand your answer to the second question. Regarding the first question, I'm not talking about the statement of intent to marry. I mean a more personal statement, something along the lines of, "This is how we met, this is why we love each other, this is why we want to get married." I've seen some people mention such a statement, and learned today that the consulate sometimes asks for such a statement when someone gets a 221(g). But I don't know if this is common or why it gets requested.

Regarding the second question, will a background check by the DHS and/or the Dept of State reveal to them that I am estranged from my parents? If so, how?

Edited by joe.b

7 minutes ago, joe.b said:

I appreciate your replying, but I think you misunderstood my first question, and I don't quite understand your answer to the second question. Regarding the first question, I'm not talking about the statement of intent to marry. I mean a more personal statement, something along the lines of, "This is how we met, this is why we love each other, this is why we want to get married." I've seen some people mention such a statement, and learned today that the consulate sometimes asks for such a statement when someone gets a 221(g). But I don't know if this is common or why it gets requested.

Regarding the second question, will a background check by the DHS and/or the Dept of State reveal to them that I am estranged from my parents? If so, how?

I did not misunderstand.  There is no requirement or expectation of the type of statement you are referring to.  It simply is not a thing.

If they question the bonafides of your relationship, they can ask for additional evidence.

DOS is not forthcoming about their methods or objectives when it comes to background checks.  I'm sure they are capable of finding out if you're estranged from your parents.  

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I did not misunderstand.  There is no requirement or expectation of the type of statement you are referring to.  It simply is not a thing.

If they question the bonafides of your relationship, they can ask for additional evidence.

DOS is not forthcoming about their methods or objectives when it comes to background checks.  I'm sure they are capable of finding out if you're estranged from your parents.  

Someone posted here a document they got from the Mumbai consulate asking for "Notarized statements from the petitioner and beneficiary describing and detailing how they met each other and why you decided to get married." So I'd say it is "a thing." Maybe or maybe not a common thing, but a thing nonetheless.

If you are "sure" that DOS is capable of knowing that I'm estranged from  my parents, I'd appreciate any evidence of your certainty.

Edited by joe.b

10 minutes ago, joe.b said:

Someone posted here a document they got from the Mumbai consulate asking for "Notarized statements from the petitioner and beneficiary describing and detailing how they met each other and why you decided to get married." So I'd say it is "a thing." Maybe or maybe not a common thing, but a thing nonetheless.  In your post you asked if preemptively writing out such statements is expected.  The answer is NO, it is not.  Take or leave that as you see fit.  Obviously, as I mentioned, the consulate can request more relationship info in whatever form they wish.  This doesn't mean that people need to go there with some random written statement that is not required.  Feel free to do that though, if you think it is necessary.

If you are "sure" that DOS is capable of knowing that I'm estranged from  my parents, I'd appreciate any evidence of your certainty.  DOS has been known to speak to friends and family, and they have access to legal records and a plethora of other databases and information.  Not sure what to tell you.  I'd say they are capable of discovering almost anything in anyone's background.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 hours ago, joe.b said:

1.) Is it strongly expected that both fiances will write statements 

about how they met and why they want to get married? 

No.  

It is expected both fiancés will write freshly dated and signed statements affirming their intent to marry within 90 days of the beneficiary entering the USA on a K-1 visa.  

2.) Does the CO who interviews the applicant know the answers to the questions they're asking?

You should assume so.  The implication behind your question is that the beneficiary  intends to not tell the truth. This is bad.  Aside from it being perjury, if caught in a lie, the consequences range from refusal, to ban, denial of entry, denial of adjustment of status, revocation of LPR status, denial of naturalization, and denaturalization.  

Edited by Mike E

Re your relationship with your parents (and regarding any question a CO asks you) - just tell the truth. You don't need to prepare answers, or worry about what the CO does and doesn't know -  just be honest - if you don't have a relationship with your parents, then that's what you need to tell them. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Don't be so paranoid you become numb. Remember, this is a process. What do they want at the embassies? The truth. Never, never, never lie. They will catch you like a cat catches a mouse. If the relationship is not real, they will know in an instant. The truth will set you free during this process. Try and trick you? Of course they will. You and your fiance stick to the truth? Of course you will. You must or you can kiss away any chance of completing THE PROCESS. My wife along with OUR 3 kids finished the PROCESS in 2017. You will too if you keep on telling the boring TRUTH.

event.png

event.png

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
16 hours ago, joe.b said:

1.) Is it strongly expected that both fiances will write statements about how they met and why they want to get married? I guess I had heard vaguely about doing this, but I hadn't seen that on any of the checklists in the K1 guide on this site, so I hadn't sent one with the initial I-129F packet and didn't include one in the recent packet of documents I sent my fiance in India. I have no problem writing one, but just want to get a sense of how important it might be.

2.) Does the CO who interviews the applicant know the answers to the questions they're asking? To give an example, I've seen a number of people say that they get asked about their fiance(e)'s parents, where the parents live, and what they do for work. I've wondered, though, how the CO would know the answer, because there's only pretty limited info about parents included on the I-129F. I ask because I (the U.S. petitioner) am estranged from my parents and have been for years, so my fiance has never met or communicated with them. Does the consulate just assume parents are in the picture, or do they only ask when the information has been indicated somewhere on the application?

Maybe answer #1 that might help, and potentially something to bring with you if you want to - granted, this is a personal choice: On the I-129F Form, Part 2, #53-54 - it asks "Have you and your fiance met in person during the two years immediately before filing this petition? If yes, describe the circumstances of your in-person meeting; If no, explain your reasons for requesting an exemption from the in person meeting requirement." 

This might be where people have added an extra write up on the circumstances of meeting and why they wanted to get married since the space is really small. When I did the petition for my (now) husband, I opted to do an addendum to write out a better "picture" basically outlining how we first met (since we met online), how our relationship progressed, when and where we first met in person, and then a bullet point timeline of our additional in-person meetings and eventual proposal. This write up had everything reflected in evidence as well with plane ticket stubs, photos, etc. This was literally a 1-page document with 1 main paragraph and a full timeline bullet points.

Is it necessary? Probably not. Will they ask for it? Unknown. My advice is always be more prepared than underprepared. But also making the choices that are best for you and your fiance. Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
6 minutes ago, KBCN said:

Maybe answer #1 that might help, and potentially something to bring with you if you want to - granted, this is a personal choice: On the I-129F Form, Part 2, #53-54 - it asks "Have you and your fiance met in person during the two years immediately before filing this petition? If yes, describe the circumstances of your in-person meeting; If no, explain your reasons for requesting an exemption from the in person meeting requirement." 

This might be where people have added an extra write up on the circumstances of meeting and why they wanted to get married since the space is really small. When I did the petition for my (now) husband, I opted to do an addendum to write out a better "picture" basically outlining how we first met (since we met online), how our relationship progressed, when and where we first met in person, and then a bullet point timeline of our additional in-person meetings and eventual proposal. This write up had everything reflected in evidence as well with plane ticket stubs, photos, etc. This was literally a 1-page document with 1 main paragraph and a full timeline bullet points.

Is it necessary? Probably not. Will they ask for it? Unknown. My advice is always be more prepared than underprepared. But also making the choices that are best for you and your fiance. Good luck!

I wrote how we meet on the I-129 (extra notes Page) 

Timeline
7 hours ago, extremerecluse said:

Don't be so paranoid you become numb. Remember, this is a process. What do they want at the embassies? The truth. Never, never, never lie. They will catch you like a cat catches a mouse. If the relationship is not real, they will know in an instant. The truth will set you free during this process. Try and trick you? Of course they will. You and your fiance stick to the truth? Of course you will. You must or you can kiss away any chance of completing THE PROCESS. My wife along with OUR 3 kids finished the PROCESS in 2017. You will too if you keep on telling the boring TRUTH.

I appreciate the response. Yes, the plan is certainly to only tell the truth. My point was more, might they ask my fiance about my parents simply because they think he ought to know details about them if the relationship is real. The relationship is very much genuine, but my fiance's knowledge of my parents is limited since I haven't spoken to them since early in the last decade. (FWIW, my fiance does know some things about them, but it's mostly negative, because my parents are narcissistic drug addicts.) But if they ask him a question like, "What do your fiance's parents do for work?", I'm worried the honest response of "I don't know because he doesn't talk to them anymore" might itself seem like a dodge. I'm not suggesting he would say something dishonest, just that regarding my parents, the truth itself might sound like an evasion.

Anyway, I think I've gotten a sufficient answer from the various responses from people. I appreciate it!

1 hour ago, joe.b said:

I appreciate the response. Yes, the plan is certainly to only tell the truth. My point was more, might they ask my fiance about my parents simply because they think he ought to know details about them if the relationship is real. The relationship is very much genuine, but my fiance's knowledge of my parents is limited since I haven't spoken to them since early in the last decade. (FWIW, my fiance does know some things about them, but it's mostly negative, because my parents are narcissistic drug addicts.) But if they ask him a question like, "What do your fiance's parents do for work?", I'm worried the honest response of "I don't know because he doesn't talk to them anymore" might itself seem like a dodge. I'm not suggesting he would say something dishonest, just that regarding my parents, the truth itself might sound like an evasion.

Anyway, I think I've gotten a sufficient answer from the various responses from people. I appreciate it!

You should ask people in the India board their experiences. Every Embassy appears to do things a little differently. In December my fiancé was asked one question and that was where I was at. I was outside the embassy waiting and went to a McDonald’s up the street but had to rush back as she was done so fast. That was the extent of the interview except for the prescreener double checking a few documents that she brought. 

Edited by flicks1998

The United States is now a country obsessed with the worship of its own ignorance.  Americans are proud of not knowing things.  They have reached a point where ignorance, is an actual virtue.  To reject the advice of experts is to assert autonomy, a way for Americans to insulate their increasingly fragile egos from ever being told they're wrong about anything.  It is a new Declaration of Independence: no longer do we hold these truths to be self-evident, we hold all truths to be self-evident, even the ones that arent true.  All things are knowable and every opinion on any subject is as good as any other.  The fundamental knowledge of the average American is now so low that it has crashed through the floor of "uninformed", passed "misinformed", on the way down, and now plummeting to "aggressively wrong."

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 4/28/2021 at 6:42 PM, joe.b said:

They will just ask what you have in your i129f. If you state what your parents do on there, it's good for your fiance to know. If you do not, or you put not in contact or whatever the case, that is what your fiance should answer. I think in Mumbai, they tend to focus more on your relationship rather than what extended family is doing. There's a telegram group and FB group where people post the interview questions

On 4/27/2021 at 11:36 PM, joe.b said:

I'm too dumb to figure out all of this Immigration stuff on my own, so we are working with a lawyer. Before we even filed, he had us both write statements of why we want to marry each other and our intention to marry within 90 days of her arriving. If an Immigration Lawyer had us do that, then it's probably not a bad idea to start writing a statement now in case they ask for it later. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.