lecht008

Drop K-1 Application and File for CR-1?

39 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

With no clear restart of K-1 visa processing at the US Embassy in Lima in sight, my fiancee's K-1 visa has been sitting at the NVC for almost 6 months now.  All we want to do is get married and she wants to start working in the US.  Is it possible to just drop our K-1 application and get married and then file for a CR-1?  I believe while the CR-1 is pending my fiancée (or wife if we've filed the CR-1) can work in the US?  The timeline for a green card or citizenship isn't all that important if we can get married and she can start work sooner rather than later.  

Also, do you know if we could get married in the US and use the CR-1?  She is currently here on a tourist visa and I don't know if that would raise problems like filing for a green card marriage would.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
7 minutes ago, lecht008 said:

With no clear restart of K-1 visa processing at the US Embassy in Lima in sight, my fiancee's K-1 visa has been sitting at the NVC for almost 6 months now.  All we want to do is get married and she wants to start working in the US.  Is it possible to just drop our K-1 application and get married and then file for a CR-1?  I believe while the CR-1 is pending my fiancée (or wife if we've filed the CR-1) can work in the US?  The timeline for a green card or citizenship isn't all that important if we can get married and she can start work sooner rather than later.  

Also, do you know if we could get married in the US and use the CR-1?  She is currently here on a tourist visa and I don't know if that would raise problems like filing for a green card marriage would.

Get married and adjust her status.   She remains here.

YMMV

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
11 minutes ago, lecht008 said:

She cannot work in the US while the CR-1 is pending. She can visit on a tourist visa, but she cannot live and/or work in the US until she gets the CR-1 visa approved.

3 minutes ago, payxibka said:

I agree with the above poster. She just wouldn't be able to start working until she gets her EAD, which nowadays is taking between 6-8 months, approximately. 

09/25/20: AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-765/I-944) mailed out via USPS.

09/27/20: Package received by USPS.

10/24/20: Received NOA1 in the mail. PD is 09/28/20.

01/05/21: Biometrics appointment completed (Brooklyn ASC). Case updated to show fingerprints were taken (I-486 & I-765).

01/05/21: I-131 mailed via UPS.

01/17/21: Received IOE receipt number for I-131 via text.

01/25/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-131.

02/02/21: I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

02/04/21: Received I-693 deficiency notice in the mail (dated 01/29/21).

02/09/21: Advance Parole document was produced.

02/16/21: AP in hand.
02/26/21: New Card Is Being Produced (EAD).

03/04/21: EAD in hand.

09/01/21: EAD renewal paperwork received by USCIS. IOE receipt number.

09/07/21: Receipt / 180-day automatic extension received in the mail.

09/09/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-765 renewal.

10/25/21: AP renewal NOA and biometrics reuse received in the mail.

11/04/21: Interview was scheduled for 12/02.

Applying for CR-1 means that you get married now in the US and then she has to go back to Peru and wait for a spousal visa, you’d be at the back of the line at that point. 

so why not just adjust her status? She can remain in the US and it’s just so much easier. 

Timeline
5 minutes ago, payxibka said:

But since we've already applied for a K-1 visa, won't USCIS be suspicious that she came here just to get married?  

Timeline
6 minutes ago, iy2020 said:

She cannot work in the US while the CR-1 is pending. She can visit on a tourist visa, but she cannot live and/or work in the US until she gets the CR-1 visa approved.

I agree with the above poster. She just wouldn't be able to start working until she gets her EAD, which nowadays is taking between 6-8 months, approximately. 

5 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

Applying for CR-1 means that you get married now in the US and then she has to go back to Peru and wait for a spousal visa, you’d be at the back of the line at that point. 

so why not just adjust her status? She can remain in the US and it’s just so much easier. 

So both of you think the fact we filed for a K-1 visa wouldn't be an issue with filing an AOS

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
Just now, lecht008 said:

So both of you think the fact we filed for a K-1 visa wouldn't be an issue with filing an AOS

No. Intent was determined at the point of entry. Situations change (particularly during the pandemic) and a lot of people have decided to change their plans. So if she would be okay with not working and/or traveling internationally for several months, AOS is the way to go.

09/25/20: AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-765/I-944) mailed out via USPS.

09/27/20: Package received by USPS.

10/24/20: Received NOA1 in the mail. PD is 09/28/20.

01/05/21: Biometrics appointment completed (Brooklyn ASC). Case updated to show fingerprints were taken (I-486 & I-765).

01/05/21: I-131 mailed via UPS.

01/17/21: Received IOE receipt number for I-131 via text.

01/25/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-131.

02/02/21: I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

02/04/21: Received I-693 deficiency notice in the mail (dated 01/29/21).

02/09/21: Advance Parole document was produced.

02/16/21: AP in hand.
02/26/21: New Card Is Being Produced (EAD).

03/04/21: EAD in hand.

09/01/21: EAD renewal paperwork received by USCIS. IOE receipt number.

09/07/21: Receipt / 180-day automatic extension received in the mail.

09/09/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-765 renewal.

10/25/21: AP renewal NOA and biometrics reuse received in the mail.

11/04/21: Interview was scheduled for 12/02.

2 minutes ago, lecht008 said:

People have done that before, I saw few threads about that here. 

Btw, intent is determined at the port of entry, not AOS interview. 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
23 minutes ago, lecht008 said:

But since we've already applied for a K-1 visa, won't USCIS be suspicious that she came here just to get married?  

No

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Serbia
Timeline

It's not against law and a lot of people have done it. She might have to prove to the USCIS that she did not misrepresent her intentions when she entered the country, as coming on a visitor visa to get married just to start AOS process earlier is considered immigration fraud, which might result in travel BAN.  

Officer may ask when/how/why you two decided to get married, and if she can convince them that her intention was genuine (she truly came on B1 visa just as a visitor, but LATER you two decided to get married), she will AOS successfully.  

However I would do some more research on this before making decision. 

Good luck ✌️

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
4 hours ago, lecht008 said:

Get married and adjust status. She is here already

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
4 hours ago, lecht008 said:

Add me as a third.  If she is in the US now, and you have decided to get married, AOS is indeed a legal option.  Many folks do this successfully all the time as plans change etc.  The BIG positive is that you are together during the process, the negatives are that AOS is relatively expensive, and the immigrating spouse cannot work or re-enter the US (if she were to leave for some reason) for several months while the EAD/AP Applications that you would include in her AOS filing are processed.  Everyone has to make their own decisions, but if she can swing not going back to Peru or not working for 5-8 months and you are planning to marry, I would also support the AOS route.

Good Luck!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

You could always marry, have her fly home and wrap up the loose ends while you wait until the visa processes, then have her come back in where she is a PR upon entry.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.