Hawk Riders

IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED

2,920 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, aurmorr said:

I have had a lawyer tell me that I’m very likely to be refused at the border if I’m honest about my immigration status, and that they would assume I’m going to “wait out” the processing time, which is illegal and could affect .the status of my visa. This was 2020 I was told this.

You have every right to come and visit the US we all were visiting our spouses during the process. As long as you do not over stay or work in the US you are fine. If they question you at the border, you carry your I-130 and NOA with you along with proving your ties to Canada (if they were to ask for it). It's not "illegal" though to come and visit. I asked a border guard myself when I went back home from Canada in December and he told me for my husband to bring proof of ties to Canada if they were to ask for it if he were to come and visit and they did say it depends of the officer you get too. And they never once asked for his ties to Canada...nor did they even ask how long he was staying in the states lol. It all depends on the officer though, some people get questioned out more than others, but it's not illegal to visit your spouse... I guess its a "risk" in some way, but like other people have said carry ties with you and at the end of the day its up to the officers discretion that day...the length of your stay can definitely affect their say too. If you were to stay for months, you'd probably have a harder time getting across than if you were staying for a couple of weeks. Some people definitely don't want to risk it though!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 4/22/2021 at 3:41 PM, AnkitShah20 said:

Status changed to ISSUED - FINAL PROCESSING!! 

Interview date - 4/19/2021

Final Processing - 4/22/2021

Picked up passport today (4/26/2021) from my Canada post location in Montreal. 

On 4/25/2021 at 2:13 AM, YYZ&MIA said:

Could you share more about your rescheduling experience just to help others in the same boat since there doesnt seem to be a lot of info on the forum about that😟 @chanel167

For example, unfortunately I am going to have to reschedule my upcoming May 12 interview and was told by the Visa Unit that although they empathize with the situation I must first register the interview, miss it and starting May 13 I should be seeing a calendar with the next available dates...

You mentioned your interview was Feb 22, so 2 months ago, so I am just wondering if during this time there werent any available dates and no available dates for the upcoming months or what is going on? If you could tell us more that would be great! Thanks ☺️

Hi! I registered and then  contacted the consulate to cancel. The consulate told me that they will cancel my interview and to contact them when I am ready and that they'll do their best to accommodate me during that time. I frequently looked at the calendar in case dates show up but it always said "there are no available appointments". During the 2 month period NO dates were available on the calendar. I recently emailed the consulate to reschedule and was told that I will receive an email from the visa unit when a date is available. 

I hope this helps!

3 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

I think I'll risk the drive. I'd rather be anxious about getting pulled over every 5 minutes and arrive on time than be anxious about being forced to stay another night in Montreal under a time of curfew.

If anyone has driven in from Ontario for their interview since the Stay At Home Order (or if you are driving into Montreal between now and next Tuesday) can you let us know how your experience with the OPP/SQ was? Thanks. 

Were driving in tomorrow from Ontario so I can let you know

8 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

I think I'll risk the drive. I'd rather be anxious about getting pulled over every 5 minutes and arrive on time than be anxious about being forced to stay another night in Montreal under a time of curfew.

If anyone has driven in from Ontario for their interview since the Stay At Home Order (or if you are driving into Montreal between now and next Tuesday) can you let us know how your experience with the OPP/SQ was? Thanks. 

My interview was this morning. (More on this when I have a moment)  Just got home from my 8 hour drive.  I was pulled over crossing into Quebec with my Ontario plates.  There is a small service plaza right past the sign on the 401, do yourself a favor if you see police sitting there at the sign, just pull in and explain where you're going. I showed them my letter and was on my way.    On my way home I slowed through the checkpoint, but he didn't ask anything and just told me to have a nice day.  Quarantine when returning from another province is Not mandatory in Ontario so it was a quick easy process

1 hour ago, LisaD1234 said:

He asked for documentation to show our intention to establish domicile so I showed him a bank statement and a car ownership.

Congratulations on the approval. What proof of intent to reestablish domicile did you provide at the NVC stage?

2 hours ago, LisaD1234 said:

Another issue I thought I may have is with our common child.   We didn't apply for CRBA as we read the requirements and couldn't find any proof to meet them.  So we went the visa route. After reading about this after we applied I did get a little worried she wouldn't be eligible for the visa.   I figured he would have atleast asked about CRBA  But he approved the visa and informed me that when we cross she may not need to pay the green card fee And will be automatically adjusted to citizen persuant to some section of the law that entitles her to citizenship when she enters legally.  

Was the child born after you were DQ? How did you add them to your file? Did you just do it at the embassy? 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
11 hours ago, LisaD1234 said:

Just got home from my 8 hour drive.  I was pulled over crossing into Quebec with my Ontario plates.  There is a small service plaza right past the sign on the 401, do yourself a favor if you see police sitting there at the sign, just pull in and explain where you're going. I showed them my letter and was on my way.    

Eight hours! Ugh. But congratulations! So the SQ won't think it's weird if I pull into the plaza and start talking with them when they didn't stop me? I'm happy this was so simple. I've got all my paperwork ready to show everyone. Thanks very much! 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
20 hours ago, aurmorr said:

I have had a lawyer tell me that I’m very likely to be refused at the border if I’m honest about my immigration status, and that they would assume I’m going to “wait out” the processing time, which is illegal and could affect .the status of my visa. This was 2020 I was told this.

If you stick around here for a bit, you'll find a lot of people landed here because their lawyers just gave them bad advice or no advice.  I'm not saying don't listen to the lawyer, but I am saying not all lawyers are equal.  Add to that, not a lot of lawyers have actually gone through the process.  The members here - yep, slog it out and share their invaluable experiences. 

As others have mentioned, visit, bring proof of ties and don't overstay and there shouldn't be any issues. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

2 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

Eight hours! Ugh. But congratulations! So the SQ won't think it's weird if I pull into the plaza and start talking with them when they didn't stop me? I'm happy this was so simple. I've got all my paperwork ready to show everyone. Thanks very much! 

The SQ will pull you over anyway, they are not parked at the plaza but at the side of the road before the plaza.  pulling into the plaza just gets you and them off the busy road.  If they don't follow you to pull you over you can just keep driving through anyway. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.