stuckonyou

What can we do to speed things along (especially living in a country that's under a travel ban)?

30 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I had my K1 visa interview March 12 (and medical was March 2nd) in Sweden. But because of the travel ban effecting the Schengen area my visa still hasn't been issued. I haven't seen my fiancé in A YEAR, and this whole situation is getting to me in so many ways. I just want it to be over. Like so many others out there.

So my question is if there's ANYTHING we can do to speed things along?

I've heard about the lawsuit becoming a group lawsuit that will, if all goes well, help all K1's out there. But I don't know how long that will take, though. It could be months and months. But I've also heard about cases that has sent in expedite requests and been approved, EVEN IN THE SCHENGEN AREA and perhaps specifically after DOD's statement. Has anyone here heard about this or have tried it themselves? Is there a list of grounds to expedite? Could undue hardship because of not having seen each other in such a long time be a reason? Or is this just a long stretch?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

yes, there is a list of reasons like financial hardship

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-a-chapter-5

If there is no settlement, the lawsuit typically can take anywhere between one to three years. Most are settled somewhere in that time, but some lawsuits go longer, and a few lawsuits go more quickly but usually not more quickly than a settlement.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I'm wondering the same thing. Like others I've done numerous emails to different people, but get nowhere (including the embassy). And calling has been pointless since the embassy wont discuss anything visa related over the phone. It's heartbreaking. I can't participate in the lawsuit because I'm not in a financial position to do so. Everyone is in the same boat as far as not knowing what's going on, and it's frustrating so trust me, I feel your pain. I also haven't seen my partner in a year so I understand that pain too. I don't think the embassies even know what's going on- even though I think they should (at least by now). So I'd also appreciate any info, especially on expedited cases. I can't stand doing nothing! Contacting my local MP was a waste of time but even if it's futile, I rather try than do nothing. 😧 

Edited by A&D25612

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Cheburashka34 said:

Its really pointless that the countries continue to be banned. The US is worse off than most of the Schengen countries...

Exactly! WHY is this travel ban still in effect? 😕😩

Nothing one can do now but wait, unless they can demonstrate that they are exempt from the travel ban. One recent case was a national interest waiver (NIW) for the SO of an active military member, and I think another not that long ago for a medical professional with credentials to work in the US already.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Do they still have your passport? You can meet in a third country. Mexico is still a possibility - ironically my trip to Hawaii this month was cancelled but I can go to Mexico so we are going there instead. 

I know that doesn’t get your visa issued but it means you can at least see one another. K-1 visas are permitted to be issued now. So hopefully it won’t be much longer. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
19 minutes ago, stuckonyou said:

Maybe to prevent even more cases.........

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
6 minutes ago, JFH said:

Do they still have your passport? You can meet in a third country. Mexico is still a possibility - ironically my trip to Hawaii this month was cancelled but I can go to Mexico so we are going there instead. 

I know that doesn’t get your visa issued but it means you can at least see one another. K-1 visas are permitted to be issued now. So hopefully it won’t be much longer. 

Yeah, they have my passport. 👀

We're thinking now that IF this is all still going on in a couple of months then MAYBE he can come here if he's allowed to put in a vacation week (which is not a for sure thing!). We're hoping that maybe Sweden will have joined the Love Is Not Tourism thing by then so he could be allowed in as being in a relationship with a Swedish citizen. A lot of maybes... 😇

Timeline
2 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

Yeah I totally get this. Although it doesn't make sense for the UK to allow US visitors when their cases are worse, but they can't process or reissue k1s for us to go there. But us allowing US to come here means more possible infection here, increasing our cases and potentially meaning the US will lengthen the ban. I'm sure other countries are the same. A lot of contradiction and different rules everywhere.

But nothing we can do but wait and hope. 😧 

Timeline
26 minutes ago, A&D25612 said:

Yeah I totally get this. Although it doesn't make sense for the UK to allow US visitors when their cases are worse, but they can't process or reissue k1s for us to go there. But us allowing US to come here means more possible infection here, increasing our cases and potentially meaning the US will lengthen the ban. I'm sure other countries are the same. A lot of contradiction and different rules everywhere.

But nothing we can do but wait and hope. 😧 

3 hours ago, Lucky Cat said:

I was also thinking about that there are A LOT of countries that are doing worse/or about the same as many countries in the Schengen area that are NOT under a travel ban from the US. Which is the main reason why I don't think it makes any sense. It's like we got put under a travel ban when Italy, mainly, was doing really bad and was the new hot spot for the virus and now it just keeps on going even though the situation is different...

I also think that this has been going on long enough for EXEMPTIONS to be made for family and loved ones, like K1's for example. We're not tourists, we'd be willing to travel in as safe a way as possible and quarantine upon arrival... Many countries in Europe are now making exemptions for couples, and it's only fair that the US would do the same if they plan on keeping this ban for much longer. If anything the US could just ban tourists in general from any country that they think is doing bad enough, perhaps according to CDC's recommendations. That way tourists wouldn't come and people without a specific reason like wanting to be with a loved one wouldn't risk spreading the virus just because they wanted to travel.

I definitely understand your pain! I really hope that Embassies in Schengen countries will follow this announcement of resuming K1s. 
However, if you guys have no problem with money, you both could make a nice getaway to some third countries where both of you can enter, for example Bosnia 😊🙈

I wish you a good luck and hope you get your visa soon 🤞

Timeline

So I finally got a reply from the London Embassy just now. Unfortunately they still aren't processing k1s or reissuing at this time. I attached their response. Super gutted. londonembassy.thumb.jpg.5d26de213e5fc21fe6c7af1d45b64edf.jpg

Edited by A&D25612

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
18 hours ago, stuckonyou said:

Honestly, I think it's political. Probably after the election they will recalculate things and hopefully it will be lifted. Like I just saw today on the news, something about the CDC told states to prepare to distribute vaccines by November 1st, just in case trump isn't reelected he wants the vaccine in his term as his accomplishment. Everything is eventually turned into a scheme with politics, especially the opening and closing of things

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.