royyount

Thoughts on Writ of Mandamus for K-1 Stuck at NVC

26 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

With all of the talk of lawsuits recently, what is your thoughts on the Writ of Mandamus filed for our K-1 stuck at the NVC.   I filed nearly one year ago.  Listening to the lawyers talk about the WoM, it sounds pretty good, however I am thinking with CoVid, they can simply claim that everything was shutdown and no action will be taken.  I have requested an emergency 5 times and denied each time, so I am trying to determine the next step.  I can't just do nothing.  This is my life and that of my fiancee that I am dealing with.  I need to fight until the end.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I personally think all the lawsuits happening will slow everything down for everyone. The lawsuits take months to even happen and by then I'd hope the petitions are starting to move on their own. Also the NVC and consulates will have to put their focus and finances on dealing with lawsuits instead of our petitions. I know we all want our petitions moving faster and I understand we have to do something to make a change but I think there is probably a better way to go about it.

Filing a WoM for a K1 at the NVC is a complete waste of time and money.  For a K1 the NVC packages everything to be sent to the consulate.  Filing a WoM prior to an interview at Juarez is also pretty pointless.  A WoM can not compel an action to be taken such as granting an interview.  It compels an administrative decision based on the facts at hand not based on those yet to be obtained.

3 hours ago, royyount said:

I have requested an emergency 5 times and denied each time, so I am trying to determine the next step.  I can't just do nothing.

Once the consulate start processing K1s again then you should processed in a few months.   Getting married and filing a spousal visa isn't very fast either.  In 2018 when we did our spousal it would have taken over year to get the appointment.  

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

11 hours ago, royyount said:

With all of the talk of lawsuits recently, what is your thoughts on the Writ of Mandamus filed for our K-1 stuck at the NVC.   I filed nearly one year ago.  Listening to the lawyers talk about the WoM, it sounds pretty good, however I am thinking with CoVid, they can simply claim that everything was shutdown and no action will be taken.  I have requested an emergency 5 times and denied each time, so I am trying to determine the next step.  I can't just do nothing.  This is my life and that of my fiancee that I am dealing with.  I need to fight until the end.

I think you answered your own question above in bold. If you file WOM and the decision is based on COVID, you are back at square one. And like someone already mentioned, a WOM is not a push for them to complete your case, it is a request to make a decision based on what they have now. So if they have not completed everything, then it will be a denial.

Also, what was your reasoning for the emergencies? If they were simple asks and not something like a medical emergency, I can see the continuous denials. It will continue to be a futile attempt. I don't think it cost them anything to say no.

You are not the only one in this situation. This pandemic has caused a rift in the world. In fact, there may be furloughs in USCIS coming soon.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
10 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

I personally think all the lawsuits happening will slow everything down for everyone. The lawsuits take months to even happen and by then I'd hope the petitions are starting to move on their own. Also the NVC and consulates will have to put their focus and finances on dealing with lawsuits instead of our petitions. I know we all want our petitions moving faster and I understand we have to do something to make a change but I think there is probably a better way to go about it.

Have you got any evidence to back up these claims? And do have any suggestions for a better way to go about it?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
10 hours ago, Derek Scheyer said:

No low level NVC case processor or consulate officer would be remotely involved in any kind of lawsuit action or activity.

YMMV

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
14 hours ago, royyount said:

Not worth the effort, imo....EVERYONE is in the same boat right now....Enjoy the privilege you have of visiting your fiance....

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

15 hours ago, royyount said:

The decision with be a denial, since they do not have enough info to approve.

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

No low level NVC case processor or consulate officer would be remotely involved in any kind of lawsuit action or activity.

I'm not proposing that is the specific way it would slow the process down. I'm just saying we're adding a new big workload to the already backlogged embassies. I'm not sure the direct effect it would have on the process, I'm just proposing it could potentially slow things down even further for all of us in some sort of way.

Timeline
2 hours ago, Ní hUisce said:

Have you got any evidence to back up these claims? And do have any suggestions for a better way to go about it?

Is there any evidence to back that a lawsuit would speed things up for everyone? My curiosities are not a claim of fact. I'm not sure how to go about it but I just have a feeling there's a better way that has a better outcome for everyone. I just want to be with my fiance as does everyone else 

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 minute ago, Derek Scheyer said:

I'm not proposing that is the specific way it would slow the process down. I'm just saying we're adding a new big workload to the already backlogged embassies. I'm not sure the direct effect it would have on the process, I'm just proposing it could potentially slow things down even further for all of us in some sort of way.

And I'm saying the lawyers for the department of state are in DC, several thousand miles away from either the consulate or NVC

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ireland
Timeline
1 hour ago, Derek Scheyer said:

Is there any evidence to back that a lawsuit would speed things up for everyone? My curiosities are not a claim of fact. I'm not sure how to go about it but I just have a feeling there's a better way that has a better outcome for everyone. I just want to be with my fiance as does everyone else 

I never claimed that this lawsuit would speed things up for everyone filing K1, nor would it slow things down. I was asking you where you are getting these claims/ line of thought from as it can be interpreted as misleading and you haven't presented any hard facts to your points.

I'm only sticking to the fact that those that are filing this lawsuit are:

1. aware that it is not a class action suit (i.e. not affecting all K1 applications)

2. doing so to get the ball rolling on their own visa application

3. are also aware that no lawsuit is ever guaranteed, but the other choice is waiting indefinitely on the government to make a decision on resuming the processing of K1 visas.

As per point one, I would have loved it to be a class action suit but kept getting dead ends on how to finance it, and the time it would take to happen. In the end it proved way too drawn out and expensive, and no lawyer was considering taking it on pro bono. It was actually cheaper to go with this one, and faster. Furthermore, because it is not a class action suit, it should not affect your case, nor anyone else's not involved in the lawsuit. What we do not know is if it is going to set a precedent for them to resume all K visas, but for the time being, no, it absolutely shouldn't affect other visa applications.

Wom for a K1 at NVC that is DQ can only mean it's denial.  A DQ'ed K1 is just sitting there for shipment. 

There is nothing suit can do to open a consulate.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

22 hours ago, royyount said:

court's cannot compel USCIS to move faster. it can only force USCIS to make a decision. this is most likely a waste of time and $$$$$ 

duh

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.