Jump to content
SL & TB

Married and didnt live together

14 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Posted (edited)

My wife is a US Citizen who's currently in US. I live in Pakistan and we have applied for CR1 Visa. My wife is Pakistani as well, if that matters. Our case is at Islamabad Embassy, Pakistan.

 

I will give some history about our case. We met online and after a couple years of knowing each other, we decided to get married. In June of 2018, we had our Nikkah(Islamic marriage) but we didnt start living together yet. It's an official marriage and we had a marriage certificate made as well and had a small ceremony with family only (we took pictures and videos). We didnt start living together yet because I had still a year left in bachelors degree and she had to finish her degree back in the US as well. So using the marriage certificate, we applied for CR1 Visa a couple months after the Nikkah. She left Pakistan about a month after the Nikkah ceremony.

Now at the end of 2019, we finished our degrees and decided to start living together until I get my Visa. So we got a marriage ceremony(its for when the bride leaves her maternal home and lives with her husband) done and started living together. The case was still at NVC at the time that we started living together. The case left NVC in March 2020 and I had an interview in April which got cancelled due to Covid-19. She was here with me for a total of 7 months until June 2020.

 

We went on honeymoon, took pictures there and we would take random selfies at home as well. I'm adding these details to show that we have evidence of months of living together.  We have all these pictures as well as pictures and videos from both ceremonies(the initial Nikkah ceremony and the later living together ceremony). Other than that, we have conversations from when we first started talking to each other in 2016 all the way till now. We mainly talked on whatsapp and sometimes on facebook, some of the earlier whatsapp conversations may be lost but we still have facebook conversations from 2016 and 2017. And a huge amount of whatsapp conversations from 2018 to now(almost daily calls in the whatsapp call log as well). She has a couple of times sent me money through remittance services, evidence of which I have in my email or her email.

 

My question now is, will this be a problem at the interview? That the marriage we submitted for our case initially wasnt the one where we lived together(I suppose it could be interpreted as an engagement. But this is a thing people in pakistan do sometimes. They get Nikkah done instead of engagement and then get the full marriage done later when both the parties are ready to start living togther) . And that we started living together much later. Or do you think the amount of evidence that we have will be enough for it to not be an issue. What else would we need to do in order to solidify the case more so that it doesnt get rejected and doesnt take more time after the interview?

 

 

Edited by SL & TB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I don’t think this will have any impact.  Many long distance spouses live separately, then circumstances change and they change their living arrangements.

 

Good Luck!


Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
1 hour ago, Dashinka said:

I don’t think this will have any impact.  Many long distance spouses live separately, then circumstances change and they change their living arrangements.

 

Good Luck!

Thank you

 

17 minutes ago, Babu Frik said:

Totally normal, I would say the majority haven't lived together, only visits/vacations together.

 

That's a relief. But I should clarify that when we initially applied for the Visa in 2018, we didnt live together a single day, went on a couple of dates only and she left a month after the ceremony (she stayed at her family's in her own village in Pakistan the whole time she was here). Is that still fine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SL & TB said:

Thank you

 

 

That's a relief. But I should clarify that when we initially applied for the Visa in 2018, we didnt live together a single day, went on a couple of dates only and she left a month after the ceremony (she stayed at her family's in her own village in Pakistan the whole time she was here). Is that still fine?

It is totally fine. Just be honest at the time of interview in case the interviewer asks all this which I highly doubt they would ask. The proofs you have are sufficient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Haiti
Timeline
10 minutes ago, SL & TB said:

Thank you

 

 

That's a relief. But I should clarify that when we initially applied for the Visa in 2018, we didnt live together a single day, went on a couple of dates only and she left a month after the ceremony (she stayed at her family's in her own village in Pakistan the whole time she was here). Is that still fine?

You need to have been married in order to submit the CR1. It doesn't matter if you lived together or not most don't due to International distance..

As long as you were married when you submitted the CR1 you don't have an issue 


Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

 

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

 

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

 

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, SL & TB said:

My wife is a US Citizen who's currently in US. I live in Pakistan and we have applied for CR1 Visa. My wife is Pakistani as well, if that matters. Our case is at Islamabad Embassy, Pakistan.

 

I will give some history about our case. We met online and after a couple years of knowing each other, we decided to get married. In June of 2018, we had our Nikkah(Islamic marriage) but we didnt start living together yet. It's an official marriage and we had a marriage certificate made as well and had a small ceremony with family only (we took pictures and videos). We didnt start living together yet because I had still a year left in bachelors degree and she had to finish her degree back in the US as well. So using the marriage certificate, we applied for CR1 Visa a couple months after the Nikkah. She left Pakistan about a month after the Nikkah ceremony.

Now at the end of 2019, we finished our degrees and decided to start living together until I get my Visa. So we got a marriage ceremony(its for when the bride leaves her maternal home and lives with her husband) done and started living together. The case was still at NVC at the time that we started living together. The case left NVC in March 2020 and I had an interview in April which got cancelled due to Covid-19. She was here with me for a total of 7 months until June 2020.

 

We went on honeymoon, took pictures there and we would take random selfies at home as well. I'm adding these details to show that we have evidence of months of living together.  We have all these pictures as well as pictures and videos from both ceremonies(the initial Nikkah ceremony and the later living together ceremony). Other than that, we have conversations from when we first started talking to each other in 2016 all the way till now. We mainly talked on whatsapp and sometimes on facebook, some of the earlier whatsapp conversations may be lost but we still have facebook conversations from 2016 and 2017. And a huge amount of whatsapp conversations from 2018 to now(almost daily calls in the whatsapp call log as well). She has a couple of times sent me money through remittance services, evidence of which I have in my email or her email.

 

My question now is, will this be a problem at the interview? That the marriage we submitted for our case initially wasnt the one where we lived together(I suppose it could be interpreted as an engagement. But this is a thing people in pakistan do sometimes. They get Nikkah done instead of engagement and then get the full marriage done later when both the parties are ready to start living togther) . And that we started living together much later. Or do you think the amount of evidence that we have will be enough for it to not be an issue. What else would we need to do in order to solidify the case more so that it doesnt get rejected and doesnt take more time after the interview?

 

 

 

 

It's important that the Rukhsati is complete before the interview as they may ask for that.  I'm not sure if having it after the petition was filed has any impact but be prepared to show proof that it happened in case they ask.  Otherwise living apart is no issue most people here are living apart during the process.  Living together (even if just for a period) is great proof of a bonafide relationship.

 

Good luck!

Edited by Ahmed&Freda

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

 

3 hours ago, Ahmed&Freda said:

 

 

It's important that the Rukhsati is complete before the interview as they may ask for that.  I'm not sure if having it after the petition was filed has any impact but be prepared to show proof that it happened in case they ask.  Otherwise living apart is no issue most people here are living apart during the process.  Living together (even if just for a period) is great proof of a bonafide relationship.

 

Good luck!

Thank you!

 

I'm planning on printing the pictures of the wedding, honeymoon and some selfies during our time together to take with me to the interview. Should I also print the call logs and chat screenshots Or do I just put them in a USB drive ? I dont exactly know the procedure at the interview. I wanna make sure that the AP takes as little time as possible and things go smoothly. Also, how would I show them wedding videos in case they ask for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline
6 minutes ago, SL & TB said:

 

Thank you!

 

I'm planning on printing the pictures of the wedding, honeymoon and some selfies during our time together to take with me to the interview. Should I also print the call logs and chat screenshots Or do I just put them in a USB drive ? I dont exactly know the procedure at the interview. I wanna make sure that the AP takes as little time as possible and things go smoothly. Also, how would I show them wedding videos in case they ask for it?

No videos or thumb drive they won't look at those.

 

Organize your photos by event.  They may not even look at the photos at the interview but you will want to have them in case they do.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline
8 hours ago, SL & TB said:

My wife is a US Citizen who's currently in US. I live in Pakistan and we have applied for CR1 Visa. My wife is Pakistani as well, if that matters. Our case is at Islamabad Embassy, Pakistan.

 

I will give some history about our case. We met online and after a couple years of knowing each other, we decided to get married. In June of 2018, we had our Nikkah(Islamic marriage) but we didnt start living together yet. It's an official marriage and we had a marriage certificate made as well and had a small ceremony with family only (we took pictures and videos). We didnt start living together yet because I had still a year left in bachelors degree and she had to finish her degree back in the US as well. So using the marriage certificate, we applied for CR1 Visa a couple months after the Nikkah. She left Pakistan about a month after the Nikkah ceremony.

Now at the end of 2019, we finished our degrees and decided to start living together until I get my Visa. So we got a marriage ceremony(its for when the bride leaves her maternal home and lives with her husband) done and started living together. The case was still at NVC at the time that we started living together. The case left NVC in March 2020 and I had an interview in April which got cancelled due to Covid-19. She was here with me for a total of 7 months until June 2020.

 

We went on honeymoon, took pictures there and we would take random selfies at home as well. I'm adding these details to show that we have evidence of months of living together.  We have all these pictures as well as pictures and videos from both ceremonies(the initial Nikkah ceremony and the later living together ceremony). Other than that, we have conversations from when we first started talking to each other in 2016 all the way till now. We mainly talked on whatsapp and sometimes on facebook, some of the earlier whatsapp conversations may be lost but we still have facebook conversations from 2016 and 2017. And a huge amount of whatsapp conversations from 2018 to now(almost daily calls in the whatsapp call log as well). She has a couple of times sent me money through remittance services, evidence of which I have in my email or her email.

 

My question now is, will this be a problem at the interview? That the marriage we submitted for our case initially wasnt the one where we lived together(I suppose it could be interpreted as an engagement. But this is a thing people in pakistan do sometimes. They get Nikkah done instead of engagement and then get the full marriage done later when both the parties are ready to start living togther) . And that we started living together much later. Or do you think the amount of evidence that we have will be enough for it to not be an issue. What else would we need to do in order to solidify the case more so that it doesnt get rejected and doesnt take more time after the interview?

 

 

But 97% of the couples have never ever lived together. Yours is a normal case so don't stress. Gather all your evidence. You will be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You have been married for more than 2 years. Organize your photos nicely. Provide affidavits for back up. Chats and call logs (just in case). Just prepare what you can. It seems your marriage is genuine. Correct me if I am wrong but by the time you will be interviewed it will be for IR visa already. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from Progress Reports to Process & Procedures.


Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

You've got good advice so far, but note that until you attend the interview you haven't actually applied for a visa yet.  What happened in 2018 is that your wife filed a petition in your behalf.  That starts a visa process.  At NVC, you started a visa application process, but until you complete the requirements for the visa, including the medical, vaccinations and interview, you have not yet applied for a visa.


Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -


Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.
×
×
  • Create New...