Ellie__

K1 Visa... to file or not?

135 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Do not do K1. I repeat, do not do K1. Spouses are mission critical. Fiances are not. And especially with everything that is going on, K1s are going to be at a disadvantage for a long long while

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
14 minutes ago, Bikeordeath said:

I agree No one knew that we’d be in a pandemic and sometimes marriage cost another trip and you have to stay in the country for a certain amount of time which many of us do not have the time off of work and other responsibilitiesNo one knew that we’d be in a pandemic and sometimes marriage cost another trip and you have to stay in the country for a certain amount of time which many of us do not have the time off of work and other responsibilities

Yes before filing for the K1 I researched tons of ways to just get married but it would cost way too much and be overly complicated if trying to do it in a third country. And doing it in his country would either require me to quit my job and stay there for a month and a half or make two back to back expensive trips. We aren't all so lucky to be able to just get married and for it to be easy. So it would be nice to see more positivity on the process even if right now things look bleak.  

We have already filed,,,we have been approved and the NVC hase are case ,,,we have a case number and an invoice ID number,,,all we are waiting on is the embassy to contact her to let her know when her interview is,,, but The so called God sent president Trump closes all embassies. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

In some cases K-1 is the only option for same sex couples if the beneficiary's country does not allow same sex marriage.  Hope for the best in November and if the Sazon man wins again, I guess we are screwed big time for 4 more years. 

Timeline

Well was it him that ordered the closing of all embassies? Plus he only is disallowing certain work visas, it doesn't have to do with family. But how could Biden be any better? Honestly it's mainly just the virus's fault. If he had purposely closed them out of nowhere then yeah that would be #######, but that's not what happened. I'm just hoping by January things will be looking up

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline
8 hours ago, Sparkle Sparkle said:

Don't do K1... I repeat don't do it... Get married

Totally right. I wish I could go back and do the spouse visa. Unfortunately we couldn’t get married at the time and had to go with the K1 visa. Best of luck to everyone going through this heartache.

Filed: Other Timeline

Do what's best for your situation.

We did a K-1 because she had a 20-year-old son in danger of timing out.  Despite the best efforts of the embassy, he still timed out.  In total it took us 5 months for NOA2 and initial visit to Manila, another 3.5 months for approval.

It also would have been difficult for me to find the 2-3 weeks vacation needed to do the wedding in the Philippines.  That plus CR-1 would have added many months to the process.

On the other hand, my friend is doing a CR-1 with his Thai wife.  Due to COVID-19, the embassy has not been doing any interviews.  Travel will be an additional challenged once they eventually get to the interview.  If he had done a K-1, she might be here.

From what I've read the international travel situation isn't likely to improve until the 2nd quarter 2021.

1 hour ago, retheem said:

Do not do K1. I repeat, do not do K1. Spouses are mission critical. Fiances are not. And especially with everything that is going on, K1s are going to be at a disadvantage for a long long while

That's silly  See above:  Do what's best for your situation.

Generally I would recommended CR-1, but that's not going to be the better choice for everyone.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, bolero_pa said:

I've been too discouraged to visit this site. We were 2 weeks from K1 interview. I think our best option is wait an see.

Yes this site can be depressing sometimes

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Mike V said:

Do what's best for your situation.

We did a K-1 because she had a 20-year-old son in danger of timing out.  Despite the best efforts of the embassy, he still timed out.  In total it took us 5 months for NOA2 and initial visit to Manila, another 3.5 months for approval.

It also would have been difficult for me to find the 2-3 weeks vacation needed to do the wedding in the Philippines.  That plus CR-1 would have added many months to the process.

On the other hand, my friend is doing a CR-1 with his Thai wife.  Due to COVID-19, the embassy has not been doing any interviews.  Travel will be an additional challenged once they eventually get to the interview.  If he had done a K-1, she might be here.

From what I've read the international travel situation isn't likely to improve until the 2nd quarter 2021.

That's silly  See above:  Do what's best for your situation.

Generally I would recommended CR-1, but that's not going to be the better choice for everyone.

Where did you read about the 2nd quarter thing?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Gene Fuson said:

We have already filed,,,we have been approved and the NVC hase are case ,,,we have a case number and an invoice ID number,,,all we are waiting on is the embassy to contact her to let her know when her interview is,,, but The so called God sent president Trump closes all embassies. 

Actually the embassies were closed due to the pandemic- why keep our American citizens at risk abroad ? When there’s turmoil in countries they evacuate them as well. “Trump” should have closed them and the country sooner.. if you want to blame someone blame where Covid spread from..

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Timeline

It's nothing to do with politics right now. Let's all just agree in saying this virus is the obstacle and we shall defeat it and be with our loved ones soon!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.