Rose2019

Writ of Mandamus

36 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hello everyone. 
I am seriously thinking about filing for writ of mandamus since my fiancé’s case has been under administrative processing for over 16 months. What do you guys think? Should I wait until things with covid-19 have settled a little until I file one or should I just go ahead and file it now? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline
36 minutes ago, Rose2019 said:

Hello everyone. 
I am seriously thinking about filing for writ of mandamus since my fiancé’s case has been under administrative processing for over 16 months. What do you guys think? Should I wait until things with covid-19 have settled a little until I file one or should I just go ahead and file it now? 

Is your husband German or was he born somewhere else? Has he served in the military? 16 months is a long time for Germany from what I’ve seen here. You can file- it will force a decision and if it’s denied you will have to get married and file CR1- so it’s up to you if you want to go this route. I suggest searching VJ for writ of mandamus if you haven’t already to review others experience. I also will assume you’ve reached out to the embassy multiple times during these 16 months to make sure there was nothing needed on your end, correct? Good luck.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

OP’s fiancé is Afghan born - that’s the reason for extended AP. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Timeline
18 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Thank you- I was assuming he was Muslim/from Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iraq. He’s going through a background check and it’s very likely the WOM will end in denial and you will have an equally or longer CR1. Personally I’d suggest stay where you are. The background check is taking long for a reason.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Additionally, I personally wouldn't waste time with a WoM right now. Given the suspension of routine visa services and limited staff as a result of the pandemic, at least the last few months likely had very little to no progress, and they may not even be regularly issuing K-1 visas at that post still.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Thank you- I was assuming he was Muslim/from Afghanistan/Pakistan/Iraq. He’s going through a background check and it’s very likely the WOM will end in denial and you will have an equally or longer CR1. Personally I’d suggest stay where you are. The background check is taking long for a reason.

Yes he is an Afghan National unfortunately. It’s sad that a person can be put into AP for so long due to race and religion. 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Additionally, I personally wouldn't waste time with a WoM right now. Given the suspension of routine visa services and limited staff as a result of the pandemic, at least the last few months likely had very little to no progress, and they may not even be regularly issuing K-1 visas at that post still.

Thank you for your suggestion/advice. I will probably just wait then... 

I just saw on their website today that they are resuming limited visa processing but I don’t think the K-1 visa is included in that. I hope that will be the next... 

29 minutes ago, milimelo said:

Thank you for answering :) 

1 hour ago, Rose2019 said:

Hello everyone. 

16 months is too long for k1. File the writ. Embassies have started to reopen. If you get denied, you can get married. They can will ask for extension if they need more time (they can request it as many times they need, and I advise that your attorney grants it, its usually only 2 extension per case). 

Timeline

My next question would be now is... would it affect our case at all if I were to move to Germany and live there until we hear something from the embassy. At this point I have no hopes that we will hear anything anytime soon. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, TinaTina said:

16 months is too long for k1. File the writ. Embassies have started to reopen. If you get denied, you can get married. They can will ask for extension if they need more time (they can request it as many times they need, and I advise that your attorney grants it, its usually only 2 extension per case). 

Yeah that’s what I am saying... I thought we would be able to hear something by now since 16 months is a long time but every time I try to reach out they are talking about covid-19. 
All I want to know right now is that is our case still under administrative processing or are we just waiting for the embassy to resume k1 visa processing at the consulate. Like I am so confused... 

Timeline
39 minutes ago, Luckycuds said:

Is your husband German or was he born somewhere else? Has he served in the military? 16 months is a long time for Germany from what I’ve seen here. You can file- it will force a decision and if it’s denied you will have to get married and file CR1- so it’s up to you if you want to go this route. I suggest searching VJ for writ of mandamus if you haven’t already to review others experience. I also will assume you’ve reached out to the embassy multiple times during these 16 months to make sure there was nothing needed on your end, correct? Good luck.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I need all the luck I can get at this point. 
yes I have reached out to the consulate many times over the past 16 months. Sometimes every few weeks or sometimes every month. I know they are probably sick and tired of my emails. But it has become very overwhelming. I have been through so much over the past 16 months it’s crazy. I just need an answer, that’s all. 
they said it would at least take a year but it’s way past a year at this point. 

Timeline
3 minutes ago, geowrian said:

Not sure what religion has to do with it, but typically the issue is background checks with Afghanistan. The system there is deemed very unreliable and it results in an old-fashioned process of people digging through documents, possibly making visits, etc. to obtain and verify records. This is a very slow and very backlogged process.

Then there's factors of their line or field of work, any military experience, travel history, etc.

Typically this is more of an issue for a long-term resident, not just a national. There have been Afghan nationals from countries like Canada who have not been in Afghanistan since they were a child (no PCC needed) and didn't face long waits. There was very little to verify in Afghanistan, so the typical delays seen didn't apply.

See the DOS reciprocity website to verify: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country/Afghanistan.html

Oh I see, he has also traveled to Pakistan within the last 10 years and that could also probably be a factor. Idk, who knows anymore. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, Rose2019 said:

My next question would be now is... would it affect our case at all if I were to move to Germany and live there until we hear something from the embassy. At this point I have no hopes that we will hear anything anytime soon. 

It would only hurt if that means losing your income and you don’t have a joint sponsor. Also you’d have to wait for Americans to be allowed in. Unfortunately you will have to wait this out because he’s going to have extensive AP whichever route you go. Unfortunately Afghanistan has a high likelihood of being placed in AP and if he has a common name and someone with that name has been suspected of terrorist/illegal activities it will take awhile to check all the databases and investigate. Are you guys able to meet up in a third country in the meantime? Since US citizens can’t go to Germany currently.

Added- as you know Covid has and will make the process even slower.

Edited by Luckycuds

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Timeline
1 minute ago, Rose2019 said:

Oh I see, he has also traveled to Pakistan within the last 10 years and that could also probably be a factor. Idk, who knows anymore. 

Yes, that doesn’t help his case unfortunately.

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Adjustment of Status

EAD

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.