inplace

Will they contact my wife's family members? I'm a US citizen, she is Peruvian

18 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Peru
Timeline

We're just beginning this process, and our marriage was far from conventional, so I'm a little concerned about the visa process even though we've been married for over a year and have a ton of photos and tickets of us traveling together.

We're getting  statements from some of her family members, but like I said, our marriage was not conventional so her family wasn't really involved. I'm wondering, will they want to talk to her family members in validating whether or not our marriage is bona fide?

Thanks!

Edited by inplace

3 minutes ago, inplace said:

We're getting  statements from some of her family members,

This is rarely advisable unless you have no other bonafides.

3 minutes ago, inplace said:

will they want to talk to her family members in validating whether or not our marriage is bona fide

Not typically.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

At my husbands interview they asked him if anyone from my side went to the wedding. Only my sister in law did, but I did have 4 statements. Two from my family and two from his...they did not verify though. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
56 minutes ago, inplace said:

but like I said, our marriage was not conventional

It must be legal where it took place...that means official documentation.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

In our marriage only our dogs attended.  Immigration has not asked them for statements....

Sorry, just a bit of Monday humor.

Co-mingling of finances, the spouse being on healthcare and beneficiary of insurance policies, photos of you together, especially with each other's family, is typically more important than third party statements.  Oh, and wedding photos.

And, as others have stated, you need a valid marriage certificate.  Ours was from the town clerk (we got married at our town hall).

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Paul & Mary said:

This is rarely advisable unless you have no other bonafides.

Not typically.

Hey thanks for the reply. Why is it not advisable?

Timeline
Just now, inplace said:

Affidavits are weak evidence. 

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
18 minutes ago, kris&me said:

not sure what you mean by unconventional but immigration wants to see a marriage certificate

Yes, we have a legal marriage certificate. I meant that we didn't have a conventional marriage ceremony with family.

Edited by inplace

It’s not usual because they are not impartial. Your family members are very unlikely to say anything negative about you and your wife. And how do they know you married for genuine reasons? They can’t read your mind. 

My mother didn’t even meet my husband until we had been married for almost 4 years and I had been living here for 18 months. My siblings (except one) have never met him and we have been married almost 6 years now. Not an issue at all. 

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
11 minutes ago, inplace said:

An affidavit done in the US by a USC is signed in front of a notary who has a government (usually county) license and has to verify the ID of the person

At the end where the person signs is a statement saying "i sign this under the rule of law and can be prosecuted if i lie" (close enough)  and it is easy for the person to be in trouble with the law

no way the US government is  going to  chase a person from a foreign country down to verify or prosecute for lying (even if they could) 

so, they just discard this type of evidence as it is not realiable especially in the high fraud countries where documents are faked

Think about it "would you believe what is written by a total stranger in a foreign land?"

Get an original marriage license and provide evidence that you have been together with airline boarding passes/ hotel receipts showing the 2 of you/use the best evidence 

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline

Hi! 

I’m a Peruvian citizen married to a US Citizen. My husband and I married w/o witnesses and kept it a secret for almost a year.

I’m a female and only child, so the norm/expected for me would have been a big celebration and religious ceremony with parents and extended family included but it didn’t happen. This was no issue when submitting my application or during my interview.

IMO they only care for your marriage license and the ‘strong’ evidence that others have listed above. Instead of affidavits I would recommend listing the marriage in Peru, so your spouse’s National ID ( called DNI) can be updated to ‘Married.’ This is something I did too as an extra. This is something that can’t be so easily faked (unlike affidavits made/signed in Peru).

The only question I was asked during the interview was when/how did we meet.

04/20/17 - Sent I-130 package

04/21/17 - USCIS received I-130 with PD 04/21

04/26/17 - Received hard copy of NOA1

05/26/17 - Sent K-3 package

05/31/17 - USCIS received I-129F with PD 05/31

10/16/17 - I-130 petition approved & notification of I-129F dismissal were issued

10/22/17 - NOA2 sent by E-mail to our lawyer

10/23/17 - Received hard-copies of both notifications (I-130 NOA2 & I-129F dismissal)

11/15/17 - Case was sent to DoS

11/16/17 - Received an e-mail notification of our case being sent to DoS

11/23/17 - NVC received the case (confirmed over the phone on 11/28) Case # not generated yet

12/01/17 - Got the NVC Case # & IIN over the phone

12/05/17 - AoS and IV fees paid Received Welcome letter through e-mail earlier this day.

01/02/18 - NVC packet delivered to/received by NVC

01/05/18 - SD assigned

02/05/18 - CC (First showing "At NVC" on CEAC, then called and confirmed it)

02/13/18 - Received e-mail notification of our CC and it being placed in queue for interview scheduling

02/13/18 - Just got interview date over the phone: 03/20/2018 Operator said that it was scheduled TODAY and that I'd be getting an e-mail with instructions soon

Later on the day I got the e-mail with PDF letter confirming the CC

02/16/18 - Received PDF letter indicating date of interview + instructions CEAC status showing 'In transit'

02/21/18 - CEAC status showing 'Ready'

03/05/18 - Medical exam in Lima, Peru

03/20/18 - Interview date at 10:15 am

03/24/18 - Visa on hand

03/26/18 - Paid the Immigrant Visa Fee

03/28/18 - POE LAX

03/29/18 - Form OS155A ‘Received and in process’

07/13/18 - Status changed to 'Card Is Being Produced' @ the egov.uscis.gov website

07/17/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Mailed To Me' (this means it was placed in queue to be sent) 

On the myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov site status changed to 'Case Closed Card Is Being Produced Non-DACA'

07/18/18 - Status changed to 'Card Was Picked Up By The USPS' Tracking No. was provided

07/20/18 - Card received 114 after POE 

8 hours ago, inplace said:

I meant that we didn't have a conventional marriage ceremony with family.

Any "legal" marriage is valid.  We had a judicial wedding and my parents came to Hong Kong (and were our witnesses).  Mary's mother didn't have a passport.  I finally met her a week later.

March 2, 2018  Married In Hong Kong

April 30, 2018  Mary moves from the Philippines to Mexico, Husband has MX Permanent Residency

June 13, 2018 Mary receives Mexican Residency Card

June 15, 2018  I-130 DCF Appointment in Juarez  -  June 18, 2018  Approval E-Mail

August 2, 2018 Case Complete At Consulate

September 25, 2018 Interview in CDJ and Approved!

October 7, 2018 In the USA

October 27, 2018 Green Card received 

October 29, 2018 Applied for Social Security Card - November 5, 2018 Social Security Card received

November 6th, 2018 State ID Card Received, Applied for Global Entry - Feb 8,2019 Approved.

July 14, 2020 Removal of Conditions submitted by mail  July 12, 2021 Biometrics Completed

August 6, 2021 N-400 submitted by mail

September 7, 2021 I-751 Interview, Sept 8 Approved and Card Being Produced

October 21, 2021 N-400 Biometrics Completed  

November 30,2021  Interview, Approval and Oath

December 10, 2021 US Passport Issued

August 12, 2022 PHL Dual Nationality Re-established & Passport Approved 

April 6,2023 Legally Separated - Oh well

Timeline
16 hours ago, Mrs. DPK said:

Hi! 

I’m a Peruvian citizen married to a US Citizen. My husband and I married w/o witnesses and kept it a secret for almost a year.

I’m a female and only child, so the norm/expected for me would have been a big celebration and religious ceremony with parents and extended family included but it didn’t happen. This was no issue when submitting my application or during my interview.

IMO they only care for your marriage license and the ‘strong’ evidence that others have listed above. Instead of affidavits I would recommend listing the marriage in Peru, so your spouse’s National ID ( called DNI) can be updated to ‘Married.’ This is something I did too as an extra. This is something that can’t be so easily faked (unlike affidavits made/signed in Peru).

The only question I was asked during the interview was when/how did we meet.

Hey, thanks so much for the response :). We got married in Peru, and her DNI is updated with my last name on it. We're also going to get a bank card from my account with her name on it, and we have lots of photos and proof of us traveling together. The main thing that worried me is that we had a judicial wedding with only two friends, and dressed pretty casually, and we don't have many photos. The wedding itself just wasn't that important to us. It makes me feel better that you didn't have a big ceremony either and didn't have any problems.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, inplace said:

The wedding itself just wasn't that important to us. It makes me feel better that you didn't have a big ceremony either and didn't have any problems.

Nowhere is there a requirement to have a big ceremony.......my wife and I were married simply by stamping our marriage agreement form during lunch at a restaurant.  We had 2 witnesses also stamp it.....that was it.   Once we submitted it to our housing registration office in Taipei, we were legally married.

Edited by Lucky Cat

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.