T+E

USCIS Prepares to Decrease Staff by 70% (13 Thousand Workers)

132 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Fullbien said:

Hi guys- to all those talking about fee hikes, are you thinking this would apply to the NVC fees as well? Or just the fees to file petitions with USCIS. I know nobody can know for sure what will happen but I welcome any insight.

USCIS seems to be where the shortfall is.....not the DOS.......but any speculation is useless until new fee schedules are published.

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Fullbien said:

Hi guys- to all those talking about fee hikes, are you thinking this would apply to the NVC fees as well? Or just the fees to file petitions with USCIS. I know nobody can know for sure what will happen but I welcome any insight.

I would not doubt fee hikes in all classes or departments.  Lower the case load and keep the income.  I cant imagine they will add “surcharges” to cases already begun and a check was cashed to start that process.  

2 minutes ago, IBE2CA said:

I would not doubt fee hikes in all classes or departments.  Lower the case load and keep the income.  I cant imagine they will add “surcharges” to cases already begun and a check was cashed to start that process.  

Thanks IBE2CA, this makes sense too!  I think I will pay the NVC fees ASAP even though I don't have all the documents ready just in case. 

2 hours ago, lazylady said:

Stupid question but it's burning me as I have 2 petitions just submitted and I'm frozen in fear that I'll be in a limbo forever:

Can we start a gofundme or some sort of crowd sourcing for USCIS so that they won't have to furlough so many staff? I know it won't be anywhere close the the $1.2bn they said they need, but hey if it helps even just a tiny bit, I'm happy to contribute my part. 

And can USCIS receive funding through such crowd sourcing fund?

Or, can we start a petition and collect signature so this is going to the White House?

I was wondering about the same thing. I would think they probably can’t accept funds like that as that might be considered Conflict of Interest type of thing. I’m just guessing.

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

25 minutes ago, OrihimeandIchigo said:

I just saw USCIS employees are already receiving their furlough notices on reddit. So I'm assuming we'll find something about it in a new article soon. 

I saw that too. This is scary for both USCIS employees and immigrants.

What is going to happen to the processing time now? How are they gonna prioritize adjudication?

fingers crossed for everyone who might get impacted by this.

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I am curious about this being caused by fees though. Have people really stopped applying for immigration during this time? Processing times are years for most things, so I feel like people would still be applying for most of the family based Visas. Not sure about business/working ones. But all those family ones are checks that they could be cashing and gathering fees on.

USCIS

Spoiler

2015-02-02: Sent I-130

2015-02-04: USCIS Received and transferred to NSC

2015-02-06: NOA1

2015-06-19: NOA2 Email. 133 days between NOA1 and NOA2

2015-06-26: USCIS update that case was sent to NVC

NVC

Spoiler

2015-07-02: Case received by NVC

2015-07-14: Case number assigned when calling on 2015-07-20 but couldn't give emails as case was locked still

2015-07-27: Called and was able to give emails

2015-07-27: Submit DS-261

2015-07-27: Pay AOS Fee

2015-08-25: Receive IV bill

2015-08-26: Pay IV Fee

2015-09-05: Submit DS-260

2015-09-07: Sent AOS and IV package via EP

2015-10-11: Resubmit via EP after being told to do so on 2015-10-09 as it looked like our original emails were lost

2015-10-16: Received email for scan date of 2015-10-12. Told that basically nothing can be done and we need to wait 30 days from 2015-10-12 (30+ days lost because they lost our emails)

2015-10-26: Told case is basically complete but that they are building my electronic file. Told there is no timeline for this.

2015-10-30 & 2015-11-13: Still told no update. Building electronic file still and no timeline.

2015-11-17: Case Complete

2015-12-03: Receive packet 4

2015-12-15: Medical

2015-12-18: Medical picked up results

2016-01-12: Interview - Approved!

2016-02-03: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline
On 6/25/2020 at 5:14 PM, Lucky Cat said:

I fully believe they need to terminate the I-751 process.  By my calculations less than 1% of ROC cases are actually denied.......just give all spouses a 10 year card......married less than 2 years or not.

This whole thing is heart wrenching to me. I feel horrible about all of the people losing their jobs....but, in addition, this furlough takes place the day before my husband and I can apply for RoC. I feel defeated right now......

On 6/25/2020 at 11:17 AM, leroyleviticus said:

I totally agree with you - doing something is better than doing nothing. I have been sharing this with everyone I know. Friends, family, coworkers... My thinking is that the more people know about this and understand what it means, the better the chances are of Congress being pressured to take a closer look at this. They may not listen to immigrants but if it blows up, they will have to. Right? I don’t know... Maybe I’m just lost in wishful thinking.

Even if they won’t listen to immigrants, they would certainly listen to the 13k potentially furloughed/unemployed federal employees.

So here is the thing: If there are too many applications -- sorry we are backlogged and processing will take a long time; If there are too few applications -- sorry our operation relies on fees and since you're not paying us we're gonna take a long long time to process your cases.  Either way, it's our fault, the immigrations'

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: Iran
Timeline
7 hours ago, harden4mvp said:

So here is the thing: If there are too many applications -- sorry we are backlogged and processing will take a long time; If there are too few applications -- sorry our operation relies on fees and since you're not paying us we're gonna take a long long time to process your cases.  Either way, it's our fault, the immigrations'

That is sad. Sorry the process is such a pain!

2-24-16 Petition Sent

2-29-16 Petition Received, Lewisville, TX

3-03-16 NOA1

6-03-16 RFE

6-22-16 NOA2

7-15-16 NVC Received

7-19-16 NVC Case Number Received

7-20-16 NVC Status changed to in route

7-21-16 NVC Status changed to Ready

8-07-16 Packet 3 Received

8-07-16 Packet 3 Sent

8-12-16 Packet 4 Received

8-15-16 Medical Interview

9-06-16 Interview

9-06-16 Additional Documents request

9-29-16 CEAC Status Issued - Approved!

10-9-16 Visa in hand

10-11-16 POE Detroit

Thought I would provide an update to this thread. The furloughs have already begun. Please see more deets in my post below. There are some employees in another forum who confirmed they got their notices earlier this week as well.

What does this furlough mean? How long is this furlough going to last I wonder? 

:( So basically they are going to be working in a skeleton crew? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.