T+E

USCIS Prepares to Decrease Staff by 70% (13 Thousand Workers)

132 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, eirinlinn said:

What does this furlough mean? How long is this furlough going to last I wonder? 

:( So basically they are going to be working in a skeleton crew? 

Furlough means being temporarily laid off. USCIS asked Congress for $1.2B bailout for emergency fund for the next 2 years, so I would think this furlough will last a long time. I read on Reddit that USCIS employees are looking for other jobs now after they received notice of furlough.

N400 Timeline, 5 year rule

FO: Washington DC (Fairfax, VA)

2/9/23 Sent application by Mail

2/13/23 USCIS Received

2/16/23 USCIS NOA1 date and sent the mail

2/16/23 USCIS NOA2 and sent mail with online access code

2/18/23 USCIS Scheduled for bio appointment and sent letter

2/24/23 Received NOA1 and NOA2 in the mail

2/25/23 Received Bio appointment letter in the mail

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

3/9/23 Online Update: Case is actively reviewed by USCIS

7/20/23 Case placed in queue for an interview to be scheduled

7/26/23 Interview Scheduled

9/1/23 Interview, decision cannot be made

9/7/23 Recommended for approval; Oath ceremony will be scheduled

9/8/23 Oath ceremony scheduled

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

1 minute ago, aperson said:

Furlough means being temporarily laid off. USCIS asked Congress for $1.2B bailout for emergency fund for the next 2 years, so I would think this furlough will last a long time. I read on Reddit that USCIS employees are looking for other jobs now after they received notice of furlough.

I read somewhere that it is anticipated to last for more than a month. The furlough notice supposedly says "... It looks like at the very least most of us are having three more months tacked on. 

“At this time, we do not reasonably anticipate the need for a furlough of 90 days or more,” the notice continues. “However, should additional furlough days be necessary, you will be issued another notice.”" 

Friends, I found a petition that we can send to your state legislators to help hopefully make a conversation in congress happen against the furlough: 

https://actionnetwork.org/letters/tell-congress-to-halt-uscis-furloughs?source=facebook&

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
6 hours ago, eirinlinn said:

"[...] most of us are having three more months tacked on."

This is consistent with what I heard tonight in regard to asylum hearings -- none of those for 3 months.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

7 hours ago, eirinlinn said:

I read somewhere that it is anticipated to last for more than a month. The furlough notice supposedly says "... It looks like at the very least most of us are having three more months tacked on. 

“At this time, we do not reasonably anticipate the need for a furlough of 90 days or more,” the notice continues. “However, should additional furlough days be necessary, you will be issued another notice.”" 

Furloughing 70% of staff is bizarre in itself. I work in the financial industry, and NO private or public company furloughed that many people... Maybe the government is different, but most of the budget cuts furloughs I have seen are 30, 45, and 60 days depending on your position. A call center person might be furloughed longer than a field officer... etc.  I don't think it make any sense to furlough someone more than 60 days because at this point, why not just fire them? 

Technically speaking, the federal paycheck program is set to end by the end of the month, so If you furlough someone now for +60 days, you are asking them to live on only the UE benefits, that range between $1200-$1600, which is insane. The result may be, a bunch of resignments, so even if USCIS get funded 2-3 months from now, they will have to hire new people and train them from ground-up, which take time.

4 hours ago, TBoneTX said:

This is consistent with what I heard tonight in regard to asylum hearings -- none of those for 3 months.

In that I’m referring to the anticipated time slot that the furlough is projected to last at possibly 90 days or more; which at this point in time is very possible. 
Things unfortunately are very dismal looking for most of us. We will see how cases are processed. 

2 hours ago, DSOTM1973 said:

Furloughing 70% of staff is bizarre in itself. I work in the financial industry, and NO private or public company furloughed that many people... Maybe the government is different, but most of the budget cuts furloughs I have seen are 30, 45, and 60 days depending on your position. A call center person might be furloughed longer than a field officer... etc.  I don't think it make any sense to furlough someone more than 60 days because at this point, why not just fire them? 

Technically speaking, the federal paycheck program is set to end by the end of the month, so If you furlough someone now for +60 days, you are asking them to live on only the UE benefits, that range between $1200-$1600, which is insane. The result may be, a bunch of resignments, so even if USCIS get funded 2-3 months from now, they will have to hire new people and train them from ground-up, which take time.

I agree it’s pretty jarring. It’s so upsetting for these people that are being furloughed and not knowing where it’s going to leave us. 

8 hours ago, Gii said:

This is all so disappointing. I really hope that the furlough doesn't happen, for the sake of the employees and for our applications. How heartbreaking. 

But mostly for the sake of our applications 😂

It's out of our control - it is what it is, and all we can do is hope for the best. For now, good luck to everyone and stay safe! 

Hi all, now that it's July, what's the status on this? Did they receive their last minute funding?

What's the outlook? I'm trying to decide what to do with, wait for her here, or go over there and wait with her.

14 minutes ago, David Holmes said:

Hi all, now that it's July, what's the status on this? Did they receive their last minute funding?

What's the outlook? I'm trying to decide what to do with, wait for her here, or go over there and wait with her.

There will not be a last min funding. House and Senate must pass something to Trump, who is gotta sign it. They already furloughed people, so I don't see a reason for immediate funding at this point. If funding happen, I expect it by September or after considering how slow government  is.

I thought they can't furlough until Aug 3rd? They are required to inform employees at least 30 days before the furlough and they just sent out the notice.

I saw a news article yesterday that the deputy director of USCIS said he continues to meet with the members of congress and sources from congress said they are hopeful to have the funds provided to the agency. Here's the article:

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hamedaleaziz/immigration-system-budget-cuts

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline

My marriage based AOS package was received by the Chicago Field Office today. What does this mean for my process? Will it be in limbo? Will they prioritize family based cases? I am little nervous to be honest. 

3 minutes ago, Thenaturalstate said:

My marriage based AOS package was received by the Chicago Field Office today. What does this mean for my process? Will it be in limbo? Will they prioritize family based cases? I am little nervous to be honest. 

Where are you in the process? When did you file? Did you have your bio completed?

2/13/23 USCIS Received

3/9/23  Bio Appointment

9/22/23 Oath Ceremony

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Argentina
Timeline
3 minutes ago, aperson said:

Where are you in the process? When did you file? Did you have your bio completed?

Hi, We just completed all the necessary paperwork and send it to USCIS.It was received by the chicago field office today. Yet to receive a NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.